panasonic dmr-BWT700 need to change hard drive

jsm206

Novice Member
How can I get hold of init data to installl new drive on the following device panasonic dmr-BWT700 need to change hard drive

jsm206

Novice Member
any help with this would be gratly appreciated had this unit from new and need to change hard drive as the original seems to be slowing down and machine taking long time to boot

Upvote 0

Gavtech

Administrator
That problem is unlikely to be due to the hard drive.

It is much more likely to be due to failing capacitors in the power supply

Upvote 0

jsm206

Novice Member
thanks gavtech, noise seems to be coming from the hard drive but if it is failing caps do you know of anywhere doing a caps repair kit for this model, as cap size could be an issue also will have a look around myself but thanks for your input have a replacement hard drive seagate 320Gb coming so will go about changing that anyway as my unit is 11yrs old now so could do with an update

Upvote 0

jonoro

If you search threads on this site you will find the instructions and the data that needs to be written to the drive.
Do remember that you will loose all recordings on the old drive by trying a new drive.

Upvote 0

Gavtech

Administrator
thanks gavtech, noise seems to be coming from the hard drive but if it is failing caps do you know of anywhere doing a caps repair kit for this model, as cap size could be an issue also will have a look around myself but thanks for your input have a replacement hard drive seagate 320Gb coming so will go about changing that anyway as my unit is 11yrs old now so could do with an update
I'm not aware of any kits being available. It is usually a case of examining them by eye and looking for any caps which have leaked or have blown bulging heads.

If the noise from the hard drive is abnormal - Then yes- obviously it could be a candidate for the problem.

Upvote 0

jsm206

Novice Member
If you search threads on this site you will find the instructions and the data that needs to be written to the drive.
Do remember that you will loose all recordings on the old drive by trying a new drive.
Hi just to let you know while I was waiting for segate 320gb to arrive found an old 1Tb from my security cam recorder and loaded your 720 panny data onto it and my bwt700 recognized it and set it up as a 1Tb drive with over 220+ hour available for recordings so I may buy myself another 1Tb as this 1 is quite old and must have been changed for a reason but thanks for pointing me in the right direction and for the panny 720 panny data file

Upvote 0

jonoro

That is interesting, thank you.
I have also posted 700 data file, but it seems that you can use the 720 data and that the Panny will then have a 1tb capacity. But to confirm this when you report 220+ hours available, what recording mode was that for?
A 720, with its 320Gb HDD has capacity for 79 hours HD and 154 hours SD, both recording in DR mode but much more in some other non-DR modes.

Upvote 0

MarkyT64

Novice Member
This seems to be a really good thread, which has helped me get so very close to repairing my BWT-850EB. Special thanks to jonoro for all the advice, which has given me the confidence to get this far.
I'm trying to replace the HD on my BWT-850. The original HD is very dead, killed by a thunder storm 2 yrs ago! Long since gone in the bin, so no chance of copying the original int bin file mentioned above. Everything else about this machine is good. Power supply, etc. have been checked.
I have two possible replacement HD's, both 1tb, a Toshiba DT01ABA100V (like the original) and a new DT01ACA100V (not sure what difference the 'C' makes).
Using HxD, I can use the .zip files posted to create a new file on either HD, but all eventually fail. At best, I can get to the Format command on screen, which sticks at Format - Percent complete -0%.
After a week of messing around and reading many threads on the subject, I'm wondering if the code is unique to the model or type of Panasonic HD recorder.
Having looked at the HEX code in the bin files already posted using HxD, I can see there are sectors after 40000 that contain what may be 'unique' bits of code, repeated in other sectors.

If anyone has a suitable bin file for a working BWT-850EB, I would like to try loading just see what happens....

Upvote 0

Fred John Dough

Novice Member
That is interesting, thank you.
I have also posted 700 data file, but it seems that you can use the 720 data and that the Panny will then have a 1tb capacity. But to confirm this when you report 220+ hours available, what recording mode was that for?
A 720, with its 320Gb HDD has capacity for 79 hours HD and 154 hours SD, both recording in DR mode but much more in some other non-DR modes.
Hi Guyz where is this 720 initial file please
Tnx

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom