Panasonic DMR BWT 740 tuner broken?

JPrior

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My DMR BWT 740 has lost all channels. I've run a scan and it finds nothing. I've checked for the latest firmware (it has it). I've carried out factory reset ("Shipping Condition") and still nothing. The blu ray still plays discs and stored recordings still play.

Prior to this happening, it was telling me "new channels found" every time I switched it on.

Does it sound like the tuner has an issue?

If so, is it worth getting it fixed?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Jeff

Have you definitely established that your aerial is giving a good signal?

'The 'new channels found' message is a red herring of no importance.

In previous Panasonic machines which use the same architecture, loss of channels was rarely due to failure of the tuner and almost always down to failure of an electrolytic capacitor or two... in which case would be worth fixing.
If left untreated the problem would usually result in failure of a voltage regulator too.

These machines are of an age now where one might expect this to be happening.

But the first check should be as outlined by Jaycee above.

Thanks both,

I should have mentioned that the TV the unit is attached to picks up all channels fine (and, excuse my lack of the right phrases, then aerial goes into the BWT 740 and then an "aerial out" goes into the TV. So no issues with coverage.

'The 'new channels found' message is a red herring of no importance.

In previous Panasonic machines which use the same architecture, loss of channels was rarely due to failure of the tuner and almost always down to failure of an electrolytic capacitor or two... in which case would be worth fixing.
If left untreated the problem would usually result in failure of a voltage regulator too.

These machines are of an age now where one might expect this to be happening.

But the first check should be as outlined by Jaycee above.
Hi Gavtech,

Thanks for this.

Any idea where I could find someone that may be able to fix it?

I appreciate your input.

Hi Gavtech,

Thanks for this.

Any idea where I could find someone that may be able to fix it?

I appreciate your input.
Sorry - I have no suggestions in that regard.

You could try tuning the channels, as normal, then disabling channel updates -- I can't recall what the exact menu setting is, to see if that helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom