Panasonic DMR-BS850EB - Freesat issues

segovia

Novice Member
Well I've taken the cover off & spotted one tiny capacitor the top of which looks as if it has burst with light brown stuff showing. It is on the circuit board which is attached to the aerial inputs. The capacitor has on it: 6.3v 330uf. I've taken a photo with my mobile phone but not sure how to attach it here. I'm typing this using my phone for the first time. I've always been on the pc before.
When I opened up the dvd there was lots of dust which I thought might have been causing the problem. So blew it with a hair dryer - on cold of course. I connected the dvd including the 2 aerials but still no satellite connection. I'll just see if I can attach a photo.
20210923_151601.jpg

segovia

Novice Member
Well I've taken the cover off & spotted one tiny capacitor the top of which looks as if it has burst with light brown stuff showing. It is on the circuit board which is attached to the aerial inputs. The capacitor has on it: 6.3v 330uf. I've taken a photo with my mobile phone but not sure how to attach it here. I'm typing this using my phone for the first time. I've always been on the pc before.
When I opened up the dvd there was lots of dust which I thought might have been causing the problem. So blew it with a hair dryer - on cold of course. I connected the dvd including the 2 aerials but still no satellite connection. I'll just see if I can attach a photo.View attachment 1575151

segovia

Novice Member
Back on the computer now which I find easier for typing. I see the photo has appeared eventually! I don't know why my text has appeared twice though. Anyway, the 'burst' capacitor shows up clearly. Could this be the cause of the problem? It certainly doesn't look very healthy.
None of the other capacitors - lots of them of various sizes - have that 'burst' appearance.

Marmite47

Novice Member
Hi, thanks for the picture, firstly dust doesn't do much harm unless there is lots ;) , however the burst capacitor could be the problem (even if it isn't capacitors shouldn't look like that) it certainly was with mine. I suggest that you read my previous posts and obtain the same capacitor (rating v Uf etc..) that has burst on your board - if it's the same one that I mention in my earlier posts then you could order it from EBay, although you are likely to find almost every capacitor that you might need on there as well!. Obviously you will still need to find someone who is competent at soldering etc. to remove th blown capacitor and replace it with the new one. Finally there is still no guarantee your unit will work but for the few pence and some time you might get it working again, good luck :) .

segovia

Novice Member
Thanks again for your prompt response & for your support and advice throughout. But I'm now going to take the unit, as it is with the cover off, to an electronic repair shop.
Firstly, if I bought a soldering kit I would probably never use it again after this job. Secondly, I have watched some videos on the process and I'm not sure I could do it successfully myself.
There's a place in Warrington, Electrofix-TV Repair Service, which is not too far up the M6 from me. I'll report back

Marmite47

Novice Member
Happy to help if I can. All I can advise now is to get a quote just to replace the capacitor, they are literally less than 50p each and timewise it should be no more than half an hr (absolutely max) to take the lid off, de-solder the capacitor and re-fit - I would get a quote even before you leave the house! As there is still no guarantee this is the problem, you don't want to be spending £££ (I wouldn't want to pay more than £30, but then again don't know what the 'going rate' is for repairs as we do them 'in house'!!

segovia

Novice Member
Well, yesterday, after finding that an electronic repair place nearby no longer exists, I'm back to having a go myself. I've ordered a pack of 5 capacitors from Ebay - £1.80 inc. postage! Exactly the same voltage & capacitance as the existing one.
Have to go out shopping now with the missus! But thanks again for your continued support.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Soldering is an art. You will need something to remove the solder from the existing connections as you apply heat. Something like soldering braid, as I recall. Always use the smallest iron tip and keep contact to an absolute minimum without causing a dry joint. I suggest that you first practice a bit using some copper wire offcuts or similar. Too much heat and you'll not only kill the new component(s) but you could well damage either the PCB or adjacent pieces.

Take a look on YouTube. Someone is bound to have posted a video about how to solder.

Marmite47

Novice Member
Soldering braid can be used but I prefer a solder sucker (you do need another pair of hands whatever method you use). Had a quick look on EBay earlier you can get small / fine (and must be a low wattage) soldering irons there for <£10, in fact I think there is one currently for £2 or £3 with make an offer + p&p And as Clem_Dye says not too much heat so try and work quickly. I think I said in a previous post try and have the machine on the side so if any solder 'drops' it should not hit anything nearby! Once you heat the capacitor ends get your extra pair of hands to gently pull on the capacitor and it should work free. Another tip is to 'wet' the end of the soldering iron with a little bit of fresh solder, this helps the 'flow' you might get a small piece if you buy a new one off EBay - it may sound a bit like 'rocket' science but it isn't it's just practice and a steady hand! And watch some You Tube, although they aren't all that good or go over the top with what they show. Anyway again good luck, hope you manage to get it fixed.

segovia

Novice Member
I now have the pack of 5 capacitors and the soldering kit. I know a retired physics teacher &, when I asked if he could help me with this issue, he told me that he used to teach electronics. He described some of the electronic equipment he has built & he has his own little workshop area at home. I didn't realise there are different types of capacitor - mine is electrolytic. He has agreed to help me when it's convenient so I'll report back. But I still want to thank you, Marmite, & others who have supported me.

segovia

Novice Member
Well, my friend carried out the repair a couple of days ago and the problem seems to be solved. I wasn't able to see him remove the broken capacitor as I had stupidly left the new ones at home & had to go & get them! But he demonstrated how he had done it.
I then watched him put in the new one but he did something I had not seen in the videos. He has a set of very fine drill bits & he drilled out the two holes before putting in the new capacitor. He explained why he did this but I've forgotten. Maybe you or another forum member knows why. But I'll ask him to remind me when I see him next week.

Back home I was able to perform Autosetup - no message coming up saying "satellite not found". And I successfully recorded a TV programme and the unit is working as it should.
I don't want to start celebrating too soon but, so far, I'm very pleased.

Marmite47

Novice Member
That's great news for you, really pleased.

Mine is still 'working' but sadly I cant tune into a satellite as we have big trees opposite us, anyway so pleased I could help you and the others :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom