Panasonic DMR-BS750 HDMI problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bert Coules, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    My (up to now) trusty Panasonic DMR-BS 750 Blu-Ray/Freesat recorder has developed problems with its HDMI output: handshake faults, blackouts, colour dropouts and similar. I've done all the usual tests, to no avail. Does anyone know if the well-documented Panasonic failing capacitors problem exists on this model as well as their earlier units?

I'm going to open it up and take a look, but though I successfully replaced components on an EX75 some time back I suspect that this machine will be a rather more complex beast internally and so would be grateful for any advice about a possible fix.

Many thanks.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,129
    Any device can suffer from failing capacitors, and they usually do given enough time and have high current demand circuit elements, and work in warm environments.

But also bear in mind that HDMI interfaces have two ends. The problem could equally be in the television... and whenever resetting the interface of a device ( by timed power disconnection ) the TV should always be similarly reset... and when restarting for the first time, the TV should always be restarted before the peripheral device.

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Gavtech, thanks for that. The chain is actually a bit more complicated: Panasonic -> receiver -> projector, with the receiver also feeding a TV from a second HDMI output.

When the problem first appeared I did switch off the DMR-BS 750 and connect it directly to the projector: the problem persisted but I don't recall if I also reset the projector at the same time.

Today, having removed the Panasonic from the setup, I temporarily plugged it into the TV and the picture was rock solid. I'll try again with the projector and see what happens.

If there is an HDMI fault anywhere I do find myself hoping that it's in the ageing Blu-Ray recorder rather than the considerably newer (and far more expensive) receiver or projector...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  4. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I've been running the system now for several hours on each of two separate evenings, feeding the projector with three different sources through the amp, and there have been no HDMI problems at all: it does seem pretty definite that the trouble lies with the (now disconnected) Panasonic Blu-Ray/Freesat recorder. I'll try opening it up and taking a look...