1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Dmr 85 RGB Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dramaturg, Feb 5, 2005.

1. dramaturg

dramaturg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my Sky Digibox connected to the Panasonic's AV2 - when I select RGB as AV2 input, I just get sound from the Digibox. However the Onscreen Display from the Pana is visible on my TV. To get a picture from the SkyBox, I have to change input to "Video" - which is a shame, because the picture is not as good. It also works, when I put the Digibox output to PAL instead of RGB.
    The Pana output (AV1) is put to RGB and my TV is able to deal with RGB(three scart inputs, 2 of them can deal with RGB).
    I tried two different 21pin Scart leads, but it's always the same.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    What happens to the screen? Does it go black by any chance? If so then your Digibox is NOT outputting RGB! The most frequent reason for this with Sky Digiboxes is due to someone pressing the TV button - press Sky and the RGB output will return (assuming you have RGB set in the Sky/Services menu).

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The other reason of course may be that you are using the vcr out from the digibox which only everoutputs in video. You must use the tv out to get rgb, which as rasczak says stops sending rgb and changes to video if you touch the tv button on the sky remote, and changes back when you press the sky button. If someone was deliberately planning a feature in the digibox to muck up dvd recordings, they couldn't have done much better than this, and many people must have suffered lost recordings with sound only as a result without realising why.

4. dramaturg

dramaturg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response.
    Yes, the screen is black and I hear the sound. (Also thanks for the hint with the VCR and TV output on the digibox)

The problem is, that it happens with EXT Link and Sky autoview - meaning that when I check my ext link recordings, I see the "recording is starting: yes /abort" alert before a black screen with sound only.
    The ONLY way for me to use ext link recording is by putting either the digibox out or the panasonic in to "video" instead of "RGB".

But there must be some truth in the idea with the sky button, as I found out, that pressing "service", "Tv guide" etc. brings back the picture (of course it's too late for the messed up recording...)

But then: why is the digibox not putting out rgb out on the start up with autoview.
    I tested the ext link function by manually switching the Digibox on and I GOT a picture. But with autoview it's a different story ...
    I did put RGB output in the digibox output settings ...
    Can I force the Digibox to put out RGB on start up ...

On the other hand: You both probably work with autoview - so I must do something wrong ...

5. dramaturg

dramaturg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    okay, I just used google and kenfowler helped me with a serveral years old answer on another forum: there is no RGB with autoview. And that's that.

Thanks a lot - good to know that this board has veteran-pros to help newbies out (got the Panasonic yesterday ... )

6. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    First time I have been called a veteran!!

Must have been coming here too long. (Mental note, find something else to do with my spare time?, got it, watch some of my recordings for the first time!)

7. dramaturg

dramaturg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After solving a lot of problems, there is still a question I have ...

The very usefull hint to press Enter+0 showed me that my sky digibox signal is getting to the TV as 1. RGB and 2. FBAS ...
    As connecting the Digibox directly to the TV shows RGB as the signal, I take it, that it is not a RGB signal anymore, when it passes through the dmr 85.

But all my outputs and inputs are put to RGB in the set up ...

Any idea for this one?

8. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Providing you are using the digibox's TV OUT scart to connect to the E85 and all outputs and inputs are set to RGB, it will pass through the E85 in RGB.

9. dramaturg

dramaturg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I fixed it.

EVEN THOUGH I had RGB input by the digibox, AV2 put to RGB and RGB output via AV1, my TV imposed a "FBAS" sign on the screen ...
    Just passing the signal through without processing by the dmr 85 by using the Enter+0 button displayed a "RGB" on the screen ...

The solution: I had to put AV2 to "decoder" instead of "Ext" ...

Now my TV shows RGB coming from the dmr 85.

Maybe of interest for others as well.

10. sirp

sirp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    why does enter + 0 on my remote just show 'on' on the tv and dvd?

11. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    BUt now it is set for decoder, you will not be able to record form the analogue tuner in the unit. This is useful occasionally when you wish to view something on sky and record a short clashing program which is available on analogue.

12. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What happens if you set AV2 to "Normal"? As Ken says, on "Decoder" you will not be able to use the internal tuner.

13. dramaturg

dramaturg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I put AV2 to "Ext" instead of "Decoder" I simply don't get a RGB Signal on the screen. I get a pretty okay picture, of course, but my Philips TV tells me "FBAS Signal" instead "RGB Signal" - no matter, if I select all inputs and outputs of the DMR 85 to RGB. It changes all, when I put AV2 to "Decoder" - my TV tells me, that -finally- it receives a RGB signal.

It works for me, as I don't need the internal tuner - Sky is conected via AV2 and another Satelite Receiver is connected via AV4 (which shouldn't be RGB, as it's not a Scart connection - but nothing's perfect ...)
    Im pretty happy with the picture as it is now.