Panasonic DMPBDT 120 blu ray player will not play DVD +RW or CD-r discs

date542

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just purchased Panny DMP BDT 120--seems to work OK however when I tried to play my DVD +RW and CD-R discs it did not recognise them--

why is this--brochure says it can play them--have a Philips blu ray in lounge which loads them fine no problem

Are they finalised? And what is on them?

Some clips from You Tube mainly--finalised?

What is that and how would I do it?

Finalising a disc stops you adding anything else to it and is done with your burner software. This varies depending on the software used. What format are the files are they supported by your bluray player?

Assuming the discs themselves are free of manufacturing fault, there are two issues at play here:
1: The type of blank disc. That ought not to be an issue because as you say, the machine can actually read both types you are trying
2: (Far more likely to be the problem) The format of the discs and the files on them.

Table-top players generally have a very restricted range of data structures on the disc they can recognise. For example, it's typical that any DVD disc (of any underlying disc type) MUST contain files and formatting in exact compliance with DVD-Video structure. It's unlikely, for example, that a collection of mpeg or other video files placed on a disc as data (i.e. for computer use) would be readable by a table-top machine. Similarly, even DVD-Video discs have to be finalised (which creates the "table of contents" the player needs to read in order to find the data on the disc). etc...

I `ve just copied some clips from You Tube through Any Video Converter then burned on to discs using Windows Media player--as I say they play fine on the Philips blu ray but will not load on the new Panny--

another problem--any new firmware from Panasonic has to be burned to disc then loaded--but if the the thing dosen`t read the disc then I`m stuffed--Philips up-dates via usb stick

does anyone have a step by step guide on how to rectify this?

I`m by no mean a techie so as simple as possible please!

Thanks

You need to establish which of the two possible causes are making it refuse to read. The only way to go about that is to discount one cause.

In the case of a DVD - you need to burn the disc (you can use a re-writable) in DVD-Video format.
I don't know what format your existing method has resulted in.

Place the errant disc into your computer, and using Windows Explorer (or whatever it may be called on your version) look at the folders on it and the contents therein. A DVD-Video disc contains one or two folders:
Audio_TS (if present it should be empty; may not be present at all) and
Video_TS which should contain various files with extensions .bup, ifo, and .vob. with the vob's being the larger files.
If your disc is not exactly like this, it's not a DVD-Video and that may explain why the player is refusing it - not the disc, but the data structure causing the refusal.

For CD - the baseline format you'd expect the player to recognise is CD-Audio. If your disc isn't properly CD-Audio format, again, that might explain the refusal. In Explorer, a CD-A disc appears to contain one file with the extension .cda representing each audio track, and the files are small - usually show as 1kb size (in fact it's a sort of shortcut, not the audio data).

It may have different file/disc format compatibility. For example, I have several Video CDs. (Old defunct format using CD disc with video content in a particular format). My older Sony DVD/HDD recorder will play; my newer Panasonic BD/HDD recorder won't. But the latter WILL play audio CDs. So, you see, it's not the basic disc type that's at issue; it's the contents.

Checked contents and its mp4 video--just read manual for Panny and says it should play DVD +rw and cd-r but discs have to be finalised--how do I do this?

Bear in mind not techie so simples as please!

Sorry to keep repeating myself here.

The Panasonic may not be able to read mp4 video. It may not be able to understand the file structure on the disc. It's not the blank disc type; it's the format of the contents. You need to see if the Panasonic will play mp4 video (and NOT whether it will play DVD+RW for example; that's a type of blank disc and doesn't indicate what the contents are).

Now ... IF your Panasonic won't read mp4's on DVD discs (and I don't know one way or the other) then merely finalising discs won't achieve anything. To get a disc that plays you'd need to get that disc into DVD-Video format (i.e. with the folder and file structure I described above). And the only way to do that is using a DVD Authoring program which will take your video files and convert them to the correct format and file structure.

A quick look on the Panasonic site shows it will play mp4 from USB not dvd.

You could convert mp4 to DVD, google mp4 to DVD conversion guide or whatever, it will then play in most DVD players. This is what the other guy is saying.

....and how do i do that?

...the only way to do that is using a DVD Authoring program which will take your video files and convert them to the correct format and file structure.

So, to repeat - in order to make a compliant DVD, you will need a DVD authoring program. This is not a recommendation; It's just the first "free" thing that google found: DVDStyler - Free DVD Authoring Application

You can do your own search for alternatives.

OK--have downloaded Wondershare DVD--followed instructions and burned to disc my dvd files--placed them in Panasonic blu ray and guess what--it loaded! :)

but--picture kept stop/starting/freezing and there was a bloody big watermark across screen :(

this is incredibly frustrating--does anybody have any solutions or recommend an alternative dvd program to solve this?

The watermark is probably because it is a trial version, the stuttering could be because of the spec of your pc, settings or the program, never heard of it so no idea if wondershare is any good.

I use dvdfab for all my conversion. Have you been able to try a usb drive?

Works fine with usb--but I do have quite a few copied discs which would be nice to play on this new machine--only bought it because my current Philips player which plays everything refused to play disc 2 of series 3 blu ray `Fringe`--wasn`t a faulty disc as I obtained another one to compare and still same problem--then played it on my mum`s supermarket brand cheap player with no probs--got on to Philips and they were stumped--their techies are going to look into it---

soooo--bought new machine which plays muti region dvd and blu ray had problem with no problem but then had problem with playing copied items on to disc.

I think the Panasonics play MKV files without any issue from any source.

So for any new discs you create download MKVMerge (free) & run the MP4s through that to get MKVs. It's just a matter of seconds to do this conversion.

Then burn those files with ImgBurn , again free and a brilliant application.

Avoid burning discs at maximum speed , I tend to stick to 12x for DVD+-R and DVD+-RW will be limited much lower. Also use quality media , unless things have changed that means Verbatim for easily availabilty and Taiyo Yuden for best.

I am going through the same hassle with my dmp-bdt210

This is a horrible experience due to the amount of money these machines cost. If you search my posts, my enquiry is right before this one, I don't have many posts. Thx guys

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom