Answered Panasonic DMP-UB900 vs Sony UBP-X700 comparison

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fatbustard, Jun 9, 2018.

1. fatbustard

fatbustard
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I was hoping someone more tech savvy than myself can help me. I can either buy a Sony UBP-X700 for £200 or a 2016 Panasonic DMP-UB900 for about the same price. The former was a very expensive near flagship model, but it is two years old, so not sure how the two compare. I am not too worried about the Panasonic being used, as I figure it has a good 5 years left. Main thing is excellent picture quality and have good codecs so the player can rend any mkv file I throw at it via USB with Subtitles. I have a Panasonic EX750b TV and the picture from directly connected USB is very nice for 4k but most of the time the codecs can't cope with the subtitles and sometimes you cannot connect the appropriate audio track either. I can do both of the latter two on my existing Sony BD Player, but it is not 4k compatible. I wonder if anyone can advise? I'd like to know of other features that the Panasonic has which the Sony does not, and visa versa.

Interestingly I have seen this advert looking to trade his once expensive Panny for a relatively lower Sony: https://www.avforums.com/threads/pa...er-wanted-sony-ubp-x800-4k-bd-player.2123339/

Wonder why that is?

I don't have any 4k bluray disks yet, but I have found that USB files that are 4k compatible do not play at 4k from my Android box (which is supposedly 4k compatible), and direct from the TV they rarely display subtitles - which is a definite no no.

Thanks

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by ashenfie, Jun 9, 2018 (1 points)
  3. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +530
    Best Answer
    So the Sony UBP-X700 is about the same money as the Panasonic UB320 with about the same build quality but has DV (well just about lol).

Your TV does not have DV, so if you are planning to keep your TV a while then the that not really a factor. Another factor is Audio as some older AVRs need a Video and Audio HDMI output which is available on all the players you mention but not some cheaper ones.

There is much chatter about the older X-800 (no DV) being a better built and have Audio etc. So basically the X700 has sacrificed a lot to keep it's price point and maybe an X800 would be a better bet.

No Panasonic UB900 is a generation 1 player , but having said that very reliable and problems free. Is has audio outputs but the no up to the high standards some would want. It was followed by the UB700 which was basically the UB900 with Audio outs and another very stable player for less money.

So what would be key to understand is do you want Audio outs and SACD if not the any of the players would meet the spec.

The reason i might say no to Panasonic is that you mention mkv. While Panasonic support mkvs, they are fussy about extract formats. I don't use mkv, but some i've tried don't play while they play on my LG tv.

So if you can work around limited mkv support the UB700 otherwise maybe the X800.