Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-ray Player announced at CES'16

Status
Not open for further replies.
so really we are still none the wiser from last year at ces when thay unveil it as a protoype. GREAT JOB PANASONIC! plus if it is anywhere near the price £2,300 UHD player that got released in japan panasonic can suck my balls. im really waiting to see what samsung has to offer

Also receiving Ultra HD Premium certification is Panasonic’s forthcoming DMP-UB900 Ultra HD Blu-ray player. We first saw a prototype from the company exactly one year ago at CES 2015, but it’s only now that a retail version for countries outside Japan has been announced. The Panasonic DMP-UB900 is slated to arrive in the UK and Europe in spring 2016, with the price likely to exceed £500.

Panasonic Launch DX900 4K LED TV & UB900 UHD BD Player

Panasonic’s 4K Blu-ray player to go on sale in Europe this spring | What Hi-Fi?

Last edited:
I want to get excited but the lack of concrete release date / risk of huge initial price is a bit of a buzzkill!!!

Unless i'm wrong it's only 13:28 in the USA, Vegas.

I'm saving up for one now £600 will be the limit though.

i told myself i'd wait until criterion threw their hat into the ring, but the hype is building...

so really we are still none the wiser from last year at ces when thay unveil it as a protoype. GREAT JOB PANASONIC! plus if it is anywhere near the price £2,300 UHD player that got released in japan panasonic can suck my balls. im really waiting to see what samsung has to offer

Samsung have priced their 4k player at 399 USD, so that's a start. Up for pre-order now in a few places, including this one.

Samsung UBD-K8500

Samsung player's always look cheap and nasty with crap touch button's on it, I'm guessing that the Panasonic being THX certified it will cost more, hopefully they will release a more mainstream model as well.

When Mark originally put the story up the exact details of the UB900 were embargoed until 7pm Vegas time, I have now updated it to include more detail. Whilst I can't confirm the actual price yet, I can say that it will be less than £700. I can also confirm that 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays won't use regional coding, which is excellent news.

When Mark originally put the story up the exact details of the UB900 were embargoed until 7pm Vegas time, I have now updated it to include more detail. Whilst I can't confirm the actual price yet, I can say that it will be less than £700. I can also confirm that 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays won't use regional coding, which is excellent news.
Indeed that it is good news, about time to be honest. Also the Samsung's seems to be priced reasonably.

@Steve Withers thanks for the coverage. It is quite impressive the number of articles coming one after the other.

So that will be £699.99 then.

So basically what you are saying is... I must import a Samsung UHD player for $399.99. (Just so I have a story for the girlfriend) Thanks Steve!!

I am very disappointed that all we are getting this year are two players! One expensive from Panny and a cheaper one from Samsung. Where is Denon, Sony, Onkyo, Philips, LG, Marantz?!

I am very disappointed that all we are getting this year are two players! One expensive from Panny and a cheaper one from Samsung. Where is Denon, Sony, Onkyo, Philips, LG, Marantz?!
I presume that they will come later.

IMHO a Bluray players only job is to read the 4K datastream from the disc in its tray and output this datastream with zero processing out of an available HDMI port.

But you can't justify charging 500-1000 for such a basic simple job, so... manufacturer sticks all sorts of irrelevant and pointless extras onto this new box to try and justify the high price.

Since Samsung is charging ~400($,$,€) for what is basically a 100 Bluray player in its standard cheap plastic box with just dual HDMI out as I described above (ie. all it needs to do), then I would imagine that Panasonic with its THX certification, all the pointless 7.1 analog audio out and associated DACs, circuitry etc. will be in the region of 700-1000. Seriously why do you need analog 7.1 out of a disc player when the point is to pass the DTS/Dolby bitstream to an AVR over HDMI for D/A conversion and output. And I don't buy the marketing bull about the conversion being better quality somehow in this box than an AVR can manage. Or people say it's for people without AVRs - would somebody who hasn't the interest to buy an AVR buy a 700-1000 DVD player?

What are people's understanding of what the actual discs will cost? I'm streaming 4K Netflix through a Roku 4 and it is gorgeous so I can only imagine how good the output from a UHD will be.

What are people's understanding of what the actual discs will cost? I'm streaming 4K Netflix through a Roku 4 and it is gorgeous so I can only imagine how good the output from a UHD will be.

If they are anymore than £19.99 it will never get off the ground.

I can also confirm that 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays won't use regional coding, which is excellent news.

oh my, this is fantastic news. that saves at least £100 getting a player modded. if this turns out to be the equivalent to a bdt700 or that sort of level (with accompanying pricepoint), it will be severely tempting.

The pricing on the UB900 hasn't been confirmed yet but I think people will be pleasantly surprised. I've seen a clip of Mad Max: Fury Road and a clip of The Lego Movie playing on a Warners UHD BD demo disc and the picture quality was simply stunning. As far a players from other manufacturers are concerned, I heard that many of them are dependent on a third party chip set which won't be available until the summer, so we might not see additional UHD BD players until the third or fourth quarter.

Out in April in Nordic contrys the price .... 700 pounds :cool:

Think thats the player im getting.

Hi Steve I assume the Panasonic will meet & have the Ultra HD premium tag? Will the Samsung also carry this tag? Thanks

You would really think though that legacy outputs on a UHD player are a waste in this day and age alright.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom