Panasonic DMP-UB400 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

Great review Steve. Is there any chance that you could review the XBox One S as a UHD player/media hub please? It keeps getting a mention as an alternative but the only review for it as a UHD player was done by the Hi Fi magazine industry's equal to The Sun and it got a right hammering.
It's since been updated and as you well know can output Atmos/DTS:X and as of last week is able to stream atmos over Netflix - this makes it kind of unique and I would enjoy reading a review after you have cast your non biased eye over it. my reasons are selfish - I have one but don't game anymore due to arthritis in my wrists - should I sell it on to someone who'll use it to it's full potential or keep it for it's media capabilities...sorry to go off topic!

Awesome thanks. Looking forward to that one...or am I.. ? :rolleyes:

Have to admit I have the X Box 0ne S as my 4K source and to be frank, I like it a lot.

How do you find yours Brian as a movie source?

Taking it for what it is, I cannot fault it tbh and the kids love it as well. Yes it is not a UB900 or Oppo 203 for build etc, for movies/games I think it is great value for money.

The fact that it is 4K/HDMI 2.0 and now supports Atmos/DTS X is a massive bonus. I would not be suprised if it got Dolby Vision as some point as well.

Inevitably, I may end up with a 'proper' 4K source machine for my system, but until then this will do me just fine.

I look forward to the review Steve :)

I think it's great to be honest. I don't want to take this more off topic than I already have so I'll leave my in depth thoughts until the review cones out :)

So I got the 300 which is the same as this but slightly worse.

I thought the player supported YouTube HDR but to my surprise, not only it's not installed, but I can't even download it. Any ideas?

Yep, app appears to be missing from the 300.

Great review, a very interesting player, the Hlg to Hdr could be useful in the future Panasonic UHD blu ray hard disk recorder. Will you be reviewing the LG UP970 at any stage? I only ask because I have one and via the YouTube app it plays Hdr v9.2 and (it appears) Hlg on my C6. I would be grateful if someone would be able to confirm this is or whether I'm miss reading the info.

Sorry for going off topic.

Great review, a very interesting player, the Hlg to Hdr could be useful in the future Panasonic UHD blu ray hard disk recorder. Will you be reviewing the LG UP970 at any stage? I only ask because I have one and via the YouTube app it plays Hdr v9.2 and (it appears) Hlg on my C6. I would be grateful if someone would be able to confirm this is or whether I'm miss reading the info.

Sorry for going off topic.
The HLG to HDR feature could be useful for the BBC iPlayer too, which will probably use HLG. We're trying to get hold of a UP970 at the moment but LG seem to be dragging their feet.

The HLG to HDR feature could be useful for the BBC iPlayer too, which will probably use HLG. We're trying to get hold of a UP970 at the moment but LG seem to be dragging their feet.
Thanks, having tied my colours to the 2016 oled mast, confirmation that Hlg can be converted/played via a set top box/player would be great, especially if the LG firmware update for 2016 oleds doesn't materialise.

@Steve Withers It would be useful if you detail the Ethernet port speeds a little more in your reviews for these 4k players.

The 300 and 400 are megabit whilst the 700 is gigabit for those concerned about networking speeds.

Hello. I have an LG OLED B6 TV and I'm looking to get a 4k blu ray player. I'm tempted by this Panny UB400 but the one thing that is putting me off in terms of future-proofing is its lack of Dolby Vision. Am I right in thinking that because my LG OLED has Dolby Vision anyway, it won't matter if the 4k Blu Ray player I choose doesn't have it? Much in the same way that I won't need to use the UB400 upscaler as my OLED will take care of that better anyway? Sorry, I get easily confused by all the technical jargon. Just want to ensure I'm buying the right thing!

Am I right in thinking that because my LG OLED has Dolby Vision anyway, it won't matter if the 4k Blu Ray player I choose doesn't have it? Much in the same way that I won't need to use the UB400 upscaler as my OLED will take care of that better anyway?
No
Both player and TV have to support it.

Just ordered a UB400 from Amazon for £175, still some left if anyone's interested.

Me three.

Wow I can't believe that price! Just ordered it and I'm going to return my John Lewis one. I only got it on Saturday! :facepalm:

Thanks, just bought one. Was going to get one at the end of the year but at that price it would be rude not too. Just have to tell the missus now ;-)

Me too. :) I've had to delay delivery until Thursday though as everyone is out and about tomorrow. I've got a feeling my Pioneer receiver won't be able to cope with UHD though. I guess there might be more money to be spent soon if that's the case

Yeah, I paid £250 for mine also. Not gutted though, I don't have Prime, and it's an excellent player. Does the amazon one come with the free UHD Disc? If so, that's an insane bargain. I can see this player being the highest seller, as it's the sweet-spot between price and functionality.

Logan on this player is stunning.

Yeah, I paid £250 for mine also. Not gutted though, I don't have Prime, and it's an excellent player. Does the amazon one come with the free UHD Disc? If so, that's an insane bargain. I can see this player being the highest seller, as it's the sweet-spot between price and functionality.

Logan on this player is stunning.
Yes, the disc was in the box

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom