Panasonic DMP-UB400 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

Barrovian

Yes it does. Dolby Atmos on disc is delivered using Dolby TrueHD, so as long as a player can output bitstream TrueHD over HDMI, then by default it supports Dolby Atmos. And as pointed above, you need to turn secondary audio off.
It took me a while to get around to swapping my stuff around to try this out and somehow, I just don't seem to get Atmos. I've got the player connected to HDMI2 on my Panasonic SC-HTB900 which supports Atmos. I've checked the player settings and made sure that everything is set to bitstream and secondary audio is off, but when I play a 4k disc with Atmos, such as "1917" or "Rise of Skywalker" the sound bar reports that it's receiving Dolby True HD, not Atmos. Bringing up the info screen for the UB400 also shows Dolby True HD, not Atmos. I'm stumped. To be fair, it sounds great, but in typical FOMO I wanted to see 'Atmos' somewhere:) Does anyone have any ideas?

Steve Withers

Reviewer
It took me a while to get around to swapping my stuff around to try this out and somehow, I just don't seem to get Atmos. I've got the player connected to HDMI2 on my Panasonic SC-HTB900 which supports Atmos. I've checked the player settings and made sure that everything is set to bitstream and secondary audio is off, but when I play a 4k disc with Atmos, such as "1917" or "Rise of Skywalker" the sound bar reports that it's receiving Dolby True HD, not Atmos. Bringing up the info screen for the UB400 also shows Dolby True HD, not Atmos. I'm stumped. To be fair, it sounds great, but in typical FOMO I wanted to see 'Atmos' somewhere:) Does anyone have any ideas?
Dolby Atmos is delivered via a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack, so the info screen on the UB400 is correct. DTS:X is delivered via DTS-HD MA, so conversely you should see that on the player's info screen for DTS:X soundtracks. I would have expected the HTB900 to show Atmos or DTS:X when decoding these soundtracks, but maybe it doesn't and just shows TrueHD or DTS-HD MA instead (it's been a while since I saw this soundbar, so I can't remember).

Barrovian

Dolby Atmos is delivered via a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack, so the info screen on the UB400 is correct. DTS:X is delivered via DTS-HD MA, so conversely you should see that on the player's info screen for DTS:X soundtracks. I would have expected the HTB900 to show Atmos or DTS:X when decoding these soundtracks, but maybe it doesn't and just shows TrueHD or DTS-HD MA instead (it's been a while since I saw this soundbar, so I can't remember).
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Steve. I'll have to experiment with DTS and see what that throws up. As I said, it still sounds great and I wonder if I'd actually notice much difference between Atmos and True HD on a soundbar.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Steve. I'll have to experiment with DTS and see what that throws up. As I said, it still sounds great and I wonder if I'd actually notice much difference between Atmos and True HD on a soundbar.
Your soundbar uses psychoacoustic processing for Atmos and DTS:X, so the level of immersion will be limited.

Barrovian

Your soundbar uses psychoacoustic processing for Atmos and DTS:X, so the level of immersion will be limited.
After lots of fiddling with settings over the last couple of days, I've cracked it. There is a 3D Surround setting on the HTB900 which I'd set to off. I hadn't given it a thought until today, but I switched it 'on' and voila, the sound bar displays that it's receiving Atmos. Thanks for your help @Steve Withers

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?
Top Bottom