• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic DMP-UB300 - 4k Disc Read Error

Sl1ce0fLif3

Novice Member
Hi Folks,

I just took delivery of this player from Amazon and I'm getting "cannot read, please check the disc" when trying to play a 4k disc. There is nothing visually wrong with the disc and Blu Rays play (and upscale) fine. As I only bought one disc (school boy error!) I can't figure out whether the fault is with the player or disc before I go back to Amazon.
In troubleshooting I bypassed my amp (Onkyo TX-RZ710) to one of the (HDCP 2.2) ports on my TV (LG OLED55B6) via a high speed cable but the issue persists (with the player at defaults). There don't appear to be any B&M retailers selling 4k discs here in Dublin and the only other person I know with some I might not see for a while.
So the question I have is the player has a v1.04 firmware installed (which appears to be 4k compatible) and when initiating an update over the network one isn't found. I know it can be quicker to manually update via USB but I'm having trouble locating updated firmware if any exists - can anyone point me in the right direction or make any suggestions otherwise?

Lastly, apologies for the overbloated post but I come from a tech background and believe in being as thorough as possible when describing a problem!

Cheers.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Hi Folks,

I just took delivery of this player from Amazon and I'm getting "cannot read, please check the disc" when trying to play a 4k disc. There is nothing visually wrong with the disc and Blu Rays play (and upscale) fine. As I only bought one disc (school boy error!) I can't figure out whether the fault is with the player or disc before I go back to Amazon.
In troubleshooting I bypassed my amp (Onkyo TX-RZ710) to one of the (HDCP 2.2) ports on my TV (LG OLED55B6) via a high speed cable but the issue persists (with the player at defaults). There don't appear to be any B&M retailers selling 4k discs here in Dublin and the only other person I know with some I might not see for a while.
So the question I have is the player has a v1.04 firmware installed (which appears to be 4k compatible) and when initiating an update over the network one isn't found. I know it can be quicker to manually update via USB but I'm having trouble locating updated firmware if any exists - can anyone point me in the right direction or make any suggestions otherwise?

Lastly, apologies for the overbloated post but I come from a tech background and believe in being as thorough as possible when describing a problem!

Cheers.
You didn't give us your inside leg measurement so not that thorough... :)
Have you given the disc a good clean? It sounds more like a disc fault than anything else.
Do you get that message straight away at load? What is the disc?
Also have you tried another cable, plus set the B6 to receive UHD?

Panasonic doesn't list any firmware update for the UB400 so you are probably on the latest one. Download | Blu-ray Disc Player/Recorder | Digital AV | Support | Panasonic Global

Last edited:

Sl1ce0fLif3

Novice Member
Ok, the only UHD specific setting that I can locate is 'HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour' which I would assume isn't necessary but I've enabled it for HDMI where the player is connected.

Sl1ce0fLif3

Novice Member
Sound, that hasn't fixed it but I see that's a pre-req for 4k 4:4:4 which I previously couldn't enable (the set isn't capable of 12bit but at least the player can run at 10bit now rather than 8bit previously).

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Sound, that hasn't fixed it but I see that's a pre-req for 4k 4:4:4 which I previously couldn't enable (the set isn't capable of 12bit but at least the player can run at 10bit now rather than 8bit previously).
In that case what is the disc?, and have you given it a good clean? Even a wash to remove any possible surface contaminants.
Without another UHD to try it will be hard to determine if it is just the one UHD you have that is faulty or the player itself.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom