Panasonic DMP-BDT460 hook up to Onkyo tx sr 875 and TX-P50GT Problems

SRT

Hi,
I have the above set up and understood that it was possible to play 3D blu ray to the tv and sound via the receiver with the twin hdmi.
Trouble is I cannot seem to get it operating correctly. I have RDFM but its still proving confusing :blush:
I have the Onkyo to tv via sky box in HDMI 1
This auto switched to my older blu ray player when I selected the DVD input on the Onkyo.
The BDT460 gives various settings and I set the HDMI Main out to HDMI 2 on the tv and the original Onkyo blu ray setting into the BDT460 AV out sub. I set it to "V.OFF" but I get "no signal" just picture. So I tried removing the HDMI 1 connection and I get sound through the onko but no picture:confused:
Is there some kind soul out there who can explain what I am doing wrong?
Sorry for being so dim but I am not usually so bado_O

SRT

No replies:(
Oh well I finally got a reply from Panasonic.

1. BDT460 connected via HDMI cable from the HDMI AV OUT MAIN socket to the HDMI 1 socket on the television;
2. HDMI cable from the HDMI AV OUT (SUB) to the amplifier.

1. HDMI (SUB) OUTPUT MODE is set to OFF;
2. HDMI AUDIO OUTPUT (from the Digital Audio Output menu) is set to ON.
They also mentioned hooking up another optical cable if there was no sound.

As I have my Onkyo normally in HDMI 1 of the tv it seems Ive got to do this each time I want to watch a dvd blu ray or 3d or regular:eek:
Talk about backwards to the future:confused:
I am presently sticking with my older panny blu ray as the BDT460 was a secret from swmbo.
I thought that once it was all set up I might just get away with it but heck, If I end up plodding through this routine I can see a gloomy future:censored:

Rottie

Hi there,

First off, what model Onkyo do you have and how many HDMI inputs does it have?

For example, my setup is:
Pioneer BDP-LX55 HDMI 1 output -> Blu-Ray HDMI input on TX-NR818
Sky+HD HDMI output -> Cable/Sat HDMI input on TX-NR818
Then HDMI 1 out on TX-NR818 -> 40" LED Sammy
Plus I use a Logitech Harmony Touch to flick between activities

Works like a charm. :clap:

Edit @ 15:10: I've just noticed you've already put the model numbers in the header :facepalm:
If you try and connect as I've outlined above, you'll just need 3 HDMI leads in total and you should be all set. :clap:

Last edited:

SRT

Thanks Rottie but your Onkyo passes 3D whereas mine does not hence the twin HDMI requirement of the blu ray. The trouble is it does not work as it should. The panasonic advice was not much help given the need to keep swapping HDMI around:thumbsdow

Rottie

Thanks Rottie but your Onkyo passes 3D whereas mine does not hence the twin HDMI requirement of the blu ray. The trouble is it does not work as it should. The panasonic advice was not much help given the need to keep swapping HDMI around:thumbsdow
Damn! I didn't realise that your AVR doesn't support 3D pass-through. :(
Short of getting a 3D capable AVR, I'm at a loss what to suggest. :(

Just a thought: How's about you go optical out on the BR player to the AVR to carry the sound, then HDMI to the TV to carry the picture? Not too sure how well this will work, though, as you're likely to only get DD out of the AVR this way.

Sorry I can't be any more help. :(

SRT

Rottie - I can get 3D and audio,DTS etc as Panasonic have advised so I guess its maybe a little unfair of me to say "not much help". Its just a hassel in changing setup around for 3D.
That said I really dont plan on viewing over many 3D films so I suppose I should just get it setup to play regular blu ray. All I need to do now is find the right time to let swmbo know Ive splashed cash without her involvement - thats going to be a delicate task:suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom