Panasonic DMP-BDT120EB won't play Atmos

jonbrown

Novice Member
Reaction score
I tried watching Game of Thrones on Blu-ray, Season 5 has an Atmos sound track. When the disk spins up it starts with the Dolby Atmos unfold trailer, my Pioneer SC-LX58 amp indicates it's a Dolby TrueHD sound track and shows Dolby Atmos on the display - and it sounds great.

In the menu of the disk you have to set the sound track to either Dolby 5.1 or Dolby Atmos - so set to Atmos and play the episode, the AV receiver initially shows Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Atmos, then every couple of seconds it reverts to stereo. No sound is output at all.

I have tried other discs in the box set and also season 6, but have the same problem, in that the Atmos demo plays fine, but no sound when you play the actual episode.

The blu-ray player settings are all on bit stream and secondary audio is off.

Any suggestions welcome

Blu-ray player is up to date, amp is a version behind due to what the update includes.

Have you tried another HDMI cable? Sounds like it's losing the signal and dropping back to Stereo as a default.

New hdmi cable installed and no change. Have made a note of Blu-ray player settings and reset the unit.
Two things changed in the sound settings MPEG audio changed from bit stream to PCM and Down mix changes from surround encoded to stereo. This will now let me play the Blu-ray with dolby atmos sound track however the Atmos demo now has no sound flicking between stereo and Atmos.

It's strange if you ask me as the description of down mix is If a device can switch from 2ch to multichannel surround is connected select surround encoded.

Which to me implies this should be on surround encoded?? But if it is there is no atmos sound track when film is played.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom