PANASONIC DMP BDT110 vs. PANASONIC DMPBDT110 MR

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dall11, Jan 4, 2012.

1. dall11

dall11
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping to buy the PANASONIC DMP BDT110 with Richer Sounds, but when I went to their site the closest thing they had was the PANASONIC DMPBDT110 MR (the multi-region version). Would the Multi-Region version have the same quality as my original choice? I want a player that does exactly what it says on the tin and I don't want one that will cause me problems or have a lower viewing quality because of the mutli-region facility.

2. Oddworldificate

Oddworldificate
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im no electronics expert but im pretty sure that there will be absoloutely no difference other than being able to play foreign films.

3. mentm

mentm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
    It's the same player, assuming it's MR dvd only they have just used a service remote to hack it for multi region dvd playback.

4. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,457
    How much are they charging to punch a few buttons ??

5. Ciaran76

Ciaran76
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £20 difference I think.

6. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    They are the same player, just one has the remote control MR hack pre-applied for you.

They prominently advertise the player at £90 on their website and in adverts, but when you try and actually buy it for that price they say that is for the region 2 version, which they don't have any stock of. However, you can have the multi-region version for £110 if you like. I called up head office last Saturday as I was after one of these, and every branch I checked was out of stock of the R2 version that is on the adverts, but they had more than ten of the MR version in stock everywhere.

Funnily enough, two and half years ago when I was buying my previous player (Sony S550), the exact same thing happened at RS. Really good price advertised, but when you try and buy it that turns out to be for the 'R2 version', and what do you know they don't have any stock. But hey, we have loads of these Multi-region ones for just £20 more!

Incidentaly, this also avoids them having to do most price matches, as most people aren't advertising a multi-region version.

Saying all that, I still ended up buying the MR version for the inflated price. I wanted a player that I could go and pick up that day, and for £20 it saves me having to mess about getting a programmable remote from somewhere. Just annoys me that they are so obviously playing games with the prices they advertise. But if you are less impatient than me you can probably get the £90 version online and make it MR yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  7. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    They tried telling me in richer sounds that they didn't have any normal 310's in only MR to which i said i aint paying £20 extra, i've got the one4all at home capable of doing it, he then said he would discount it for me to the same price if i bought the amp i was thinking of, so i did and when he brought the gear out he said "No need to apply the discount, i've managed to find a normal one in the back".... it's all bumpf, anybody who deals with sales peeps on a regular basis will tell you.

8. mentm

mentm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
    Anyone would think he was pocketing the £20 himself!

9. blakeshadow

blakeshadow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    google search broght me here and ended up on these forums. let me tell you this is just as annoying for the staff as it is for the customers ;{ having worked at a richer sounds store before leaving this is common practise year on year.

what will usually happen is there are no mulitregion units left in the entire company except a small scratcged messy units in a fwe stores. then usually these are hevily advertised but only the multiregion ones are available which are more expensive by often £30 or more. management will then say if you get any scremers then discount down to the actual advertised price.

it is both pathetic and illegal

10. skk3

skk3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I don't doubt what you say and wonder if Richer Sounds will comment on these forums?:rolleyes:

11. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    When i got mine home and got it out of the box it had a couple of thumbprints on it, i think the unit had been made MR, then he went in the back and Re-Region 2'd it before selling it to me. I aint bothered like i said, i have the remote and i must have done about 10 unit's over the years so it wasn't a problem. But some people just get ripped off, seriously.

12. Richer Sounds

Richer Sounds
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    Hi,

I saw this thread and felt I should reply.

To clarify, the only difference between the DMPBDT110 and the DMPBDT110-MR is that the multi-region version will play DVD's from any region in the world.

We do indeed stock both the region 2 only and the multi-region versions of this player, with both being in stock in the majority of our stores at the time of writing. However, the region 2 only version is now a finished line with us and so stock is therefore limited, although we currently have over 100 units left. This is because we have found the vast majority of our customers want the multi-region version.

Meanwhile, I trust this clarifies our position, although should you have any further queries then please do not hesitate to let me know.

Many thanks,

John Clayton
    Operations Director
    Richer Sounds

13. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Nice to see that RS are willing to respond to the issues we raise on here, thank you for your time. However, I find it hard to accept what you've said.

Just ten days ago I was speaking to the central office helpdesk about this product, and every branch I enquired about in my area (Surrey) was out of stock of the 'R2 version', but had in excess of 10 of the 'MR version'. It was very clear that the R2 version was extremely hard to come by and I was essentially left with no choice but to get the MR version if I wanted to go to a store and buy one. This seems to be a common experience for people buying these players from RS, which maybe explains why the 'vast majority' of your customers want the MR version, as the practical reallity appears to be that they dont have much choice.

If the 'R2 version' is end of line there must be even less stock now than there was ten days ago. Which is odd becuase when I look at the RS website today, the BDT110 is still showing on the front page of the website as a 'Deal', advertised at £89.95. Which we know is the 'R2' price, although that front page listing doesn't mention it being an R2 version.

In fact when I click through to the full page listing, that doesn't make any reference to it being an 'R2' version either, and there is no indication that there are other more expensive versions of this player available. It has a section for 'Also available', but this only talks about other brands, nowhere is there any indication that a second version of this player is available. In fact it appears that the only way to find out about the MR version is to browse through the site tree to and find it manually, which you would only know to do it you already knew it existed.

I find it curious that the version which has virtually no stock anywhere is the big headline on the front page at a very good price, but the version which you actually have stock of and is likely the only one people can buy is given a very low profile and not mentioned anywhere on the page for the cheaper version.

I don't think it surprising that some of us are a little cynical about the advertising focussing on a version which is very cheap, but apparently not easy to buy. Especially as this seems to be a recurring situation at RS. As mentioned further up this thread, a couple of years ago my wife was getting me a Sony S550 BD player for my birthday and encountered the exact same scenario. The website and other advertising showed the player we wanted at a price which undercut most other retailers (as is the case for the 110), but when we actually tried to buy the product we were told that the price advertised was for an 'R2 only' version, which there was no stock of. As with the 110, in the advertising there was no mention of it being a particular version, or there being other versions available.

Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with you stocking multiple versions and charging more for a multi-region version. Business is business and it's long been normal for suppliers to charge more a region free player. But I think it is potentially misleading to your customers to advertise a player at a price which is very difficult to actually buy it at.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  14. Newspapertaxi

Newspapertaxi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I totally agree. I'm looking to buy this in the next couple of weeks and will not be buying from RS in Nottingham as I had originally planned. I would rather pay a little bit more from somewhere else (sevenoakes in Nottm have it for £109) just for the principle. Making it multi region myself will not be a problem.

15. skk3

skk3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Well said, Ian!

16. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,790
    Made mine multi-region for DVD in about 90 seconds with a One-For-All remote I had lying around. It's a shame that RS aren't giving people the choice any more, but I can also understand why they're doing it because (in my experience) pretty much everyone who uses DVD is aware of the region lock outs.

There will always be other retailers who stock the R2 version and they can be made MR with ease, so vote with your feet, people!