Panasonic DMP-BD35 Region B UK Owners Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I know it should be PCM and not Bitstream and can play with the AMP to try and get all 7.1 speakers working.

Don't know about the Sony amp, but on my Denon 3808 I can process a 5.1 PCM signal with PLIIx etc to give me 7.1.

However on the Onkyo 674 I have in the lounge you cannot process the multichannel 5.1 signal and you're "stuck" with "as it comes".

kalababa,

Thanks for posting all those pics, they are excellent. I love to see menus and box pictures :thumbsup:

Can you time how long it takes the player to go from standby to tray open ? (I'd like to know what your feeling of general operating speed is too)

Hi,

Its about 15 to 20 sec. from off state to eject state.

About play time... I try couple of Blu Ray's all are different load time, so can't say exectly what is loading to play time. But mostly faster than PS3.

I hope it helps

Thanks

From off to disc tray open:- 23 sec , my old player Samsung 1400 was 18sec

Transformers; tray open to Dreamworks screen 1m 4 sec, old player 1min 26sec.
So overall I'm pretty happy!:D

Got it today... just saw amazon... :mad: should want one more day!

Anyway will post some pics soon.

Till now all good BETTER than PS3!

Hi kalababa.
I've ordered my BD 35 from Amazon and should get it on Fri.
How does the picture compare with the PS3?.
Sorry to go off topic,but i notice that you got some smart A/V gear but why the LCD?.
Movies look way better on a plasma due to it's superior black level.
I couldn't help but notice that the bezel on the Sony LCD is grey which helps hide the fact that blacks on LCD's are also grey.Clever ploy from Sony.

Sorry to go off topic,but i notice that you got some smart A/V gear but why the LCD?.
I couldn't help but notice that the bezel on the Sony LCD is grey which helps hide the fact that blacks on LCD's are also grey.Clever ploy from Sony.

You're not only off topic - you're also out of date! :D

I can confirm the hack shown below works on the new Panasonic BD35 Blu Ray player for DVD playback, I presume it will also work for the BD55 too.

I did it using an old One for All - URC 8305 Kameleon 5.

Just a couple of points to note when using the Kameleon.

1. Use the Key-Magic button and not the code 994.

2. The buttons on the Kameleon are very sensitive and it's easy to press the buttons for too long once you have programmed and send the same code twice. For this reason I set the 1-0 key press sequence up as a Macro on the RED button and it worked fine.

Cheers,
Nick

prepare:
1. select DVD device on remote
2. hold magic button until the DVD button blinks twice
3. enter device code 0490 (DVD button blinks twice)

program buttons with the following codes:

1. 00191
2. 00120
3. 00065
4. 00180
5. 00143
6. 00155
7. 00122
8. 00117
9. 00129
0. 00123

1. hold magic button until the DVD button blinks twice
2. press 994 (DVD button blinks twice) (KeyMagic on a Kameleon)
3. press magic
4. enter 5 digit code from above
5. press button (1,2,3 etc..) where to program it (DVD button blinks twice)
6. press ESC on the Kameleon
7 repeat steps 1 to 6 for all keys.

Switch on DVD player, make sure theirs no disc in it.
Press the One For All Remote buttons in the following sequence
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0

If all works ok the Blu Ray player will reboot
When its finished it will not actually tell you its region free, just simply try it with different region DVDs.

I have a oneforall remote and a Harmony One.

There is a similar hack for the Sony players and I have succesfully shared a profile with other users to put the hack on harmony remotes with a 100% success rate. (See HERE)

I don't have this player to try it myself but I'm happy to do the same for these players if anyone is willing to be a guinea-pig and download the profile to their harmony remote and give it a go.

I have a oneforall remote and a Harmony One.

There is a similar hack for the Sony players and I have succesfully shared a profile with other users to put the hack on harmony remotes with a 100% success rate. (See HERE)

I don't have this player to try it myself but I'm happy to do the same for these players if anyone is willing to be a guinea-pig and download the profile to their harmony remote and give it a go.

Thanks waiting for your reply! will test it and let you guys now.... :thumbsup:

Hi kalababa.
I've ordered my BD 35 from Amazon and should get it on Fri.
How does the picture compare with the PS3?.

a: Compare by playing blu ray movie for at least 20 min. on ps3 and change cable to panny straight away and play same movie and same scene for 20 min. again.

b: plasma... don't like them, too much heat and in the end screen burns anyway (even if protected)... love my LCD... if you setup it properly you can get very good details including blacks....

c: (Sorry to go off topic,but i notice that you got some smart A/V gear) Thanks :thumbsup:

Thanks

Edit:

PS: I forget to mention, my main reason to move to dedicated player is purely for sound!

Last edited:
Glad people are getting these players in their homes now, how's the PQ and audio? PCM is what interests me.

I will be getting one of these to replace my PS3.

If I don't need analogues, is it worth getting the BD55? For £100 more, what does it honestly offer over the BD35?

If you don't need the analogues then I can't see that it offers anything at all. I presume that the higher grade audio components in the BD55 that Panny refer to are for the analogue O/Ps so they won't get used if you send your audio via HDMI

I wish their website was more clear about things.

Hi All,

I was playing with my new BD35 last night and for the first time I played a normal DVD.
I must say I was very impressed with the up-scaling, it got me thinking that maybe the Blu Ray playback was not quite as good as I had expected. It was hard to tell the difference between upscale DVD and Blu Ray.

My Blu Ray player is connected to my Sony STRDG910 with a QED Performance cable. The Sony Amp will pass through any signal up to 1080p. The Sony Amp is connected to my Samsung Plasma with another QED performance cable.

The BD35 is set to output at 1080i as my Samsung PDQ50 plasma will not accept 1080p.

The picture I get is no where near as clear and defined as what I get via Sky HD, especially on something of very high quality from Discovery channel HD.

The Blu ray picture looks grainy, almost like the picture has a water mark over it.
It is not 3D and glossy like the discovery channel HD picture.

I know there is a lot of difference in the picture depending if it is filmed and broadcast in HD as opposed to just broadcast in HD but I was expecting more from Blu Ray.

I’m going to have a play tonight and swap over the HDMI cable between the Blu ray player and the Sky HD box (Sky box has an IXOS HDMI cable) I’m also going to try setting the Blu Ray output to 570p but saying that the Sky HD box is set to 1080i.

Can any one offer any advice?

Am I just expecting too much from Blu Ray?

Many thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Nick

Have you adjusted your display to suit your new player?

At the least a THX optimser (found on most THX DVD's) should be done, if possible get the DVE calibration BR or similar and spend some time getting everything setup before you decide :smashin:

I have used the THX optimser in the past but not since getting the BD35.

But I'm not sure that's the problem, The picture from Sky HD (discovery channel) is great, much better than the BR player, surley that would imply the screen is setup OK.

Or are there picture settings I can change on BR player, um, I'll take a look.

Cheers,
Nick

But I'm not sure that's the problem, The picture from Sky HD (discovery channel) is great, much better than the BR player, surley that would imply the screen is setup OK.

I'm not sure it's the problem either :D But those more knowledgable may be able to offer some advice. But getting your screen set-up to suit the BD35 would probably be a good starting point. ;)

I've heard a few people say they prefer SkyHD PQ, but often that has IMHO been due to odd things like 'grain' or bad set-up or poor equipment etc.. I don't have HD Sky so I can't compare to BR myself.

I would expect you to see a good BR PQ on your kit??

"Grain", now that the best way of describing what I've got on my BR image.

Now to find out the best way of getting shot of it.................

Maybe I should have a look on the Samsung plasma owners thread and see what setting they recommend for BR.........

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Cheers,
Nick

"Grain", now that the best way of describing what I've got on my BR image.

:D Turn Sharpness off or at least down. And try turning off any other image processing. :smashin:

Hi Nick

Further to Bald Monkey's recommendations, I suggest you connect the BD35 directly to your TV with a good HDMI lead and see if that improves things.

At least it will narrow down the problem to two bits of kit rather than three.

Regards :)
Alan

The BD35 is set to output at 1080i as my Samsung PDQ50 plasma will not accept 1080p.
This is the problem. Set the player to output 720p instead. It will be much better, trust me. :thumbsup:

This is the problem. Set the player to output 720p instead. It will be much better, trust me. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Why is that?

:thumbsup: Why is that?

You are sending a 1080i signal to your screen which will have to downscale it to fit the screen. Sending a signal 720p is closer to your screens natural resolution.

As stated below, turn off any noise, sharpness or other picture processing features on your screen. You are simply adding detail which doesnt need to be added.

If you have short run any HDMI cable will do. Are you sure your amp is not doing any scaling?

Just got the email from Amazon that mine is arriving tomorrow.:D Glad to hear the sound is improved.

Glad people are getting these players in their homes now, how's the PQ and audio? PCM is what interests me.

I will be getting one of these to replace my PS3.

If I don't need analogues, is it worth getting the BD55? For £100 more, what does it honestly offer over the BD35?

What HI-FI has reviewed both models in the last two editions. check that out online. Im sure they said they chip for the sound processing was improved on the 55.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom