• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic DME Ex77 Sound problem

rkotey

Standard Member
I'm fairly sure that my Ex 77 is faulty.

When i output sound through my Yamaha RX V420, the sound only comes out of one speaker. This happens whether connected via Optical or Analogue but I don't think it's a problem with the Yamaha as the Tests show the speakers in question working.

In addition, the Ex77 is hooked up to my Samsung telly by HDMI and messing with the balance on the on that again suggests sound is not coming through both audio channels from the Ex77.

All in all, pretty compelling evidence that the DMR Ex77 is not outputting sound properly. However, I don't know what the various sound settings do on th Ex77 (PCM, Bitstream,??:confused:) - could my choice of settings be the reason for my output problems?

Gavtech

Administrator
Welcome to the forum.

It is quite possible. The sound setting interplay is complex.

The simplest thing to do is perform a factory reset first and see if the problem still exists.

Before you do that, perform a power reset by disconnecting the unit from the mains for 10 minutes. Spurious mutes sometimes get latched in the micro. It will also reset any switch routing chips which could conceivably cause such a problem.

Good luck.

rkotey

Standard Member
Welcome to the forum.

It is quite possible. The sound setting interplay is complex.

The simplest thing to do is perform a factory reset first and see if the problem still exists.

Before you do that, perform a power reset by disconnecting the unit from the mains for 10 minutes. Spurious mutes sometimes get latched in the micro. It will also reset any switch routing chips which could conceivably cause such a problem.

Good luck.

Thanks. I just tried that but it's still not working properly. Looks like I'll have to send it away to be fixed.

rkotey

Standard Member
Are the soundtrack options on Page 58 of the manual applicable to your problem in any way?

Okay, had a bit of a fiddle and it seems everything works okay with DVDs so it is just when using the Freeview tuner that the sound is ropey.

I get my freeview signal through an aerial loop thing (rather than from the wall) so the signal, while strong enough, fluctuates in strength & quality constantly when I check the signal condition. Surely this can't be the problem, can it?

Gavtech

Administrator
Okay, had a bit of a fiddle and it seems everything works okay with DVDs so it is just when using the Freeview tuner that the sound is ropey.

I get my freeview signal through an aerial loop thing (rather than from the wall) so the signal, while strong enough, fluctuates in strength & quality constantly when I check the signal condition. Surely this can't be the problem, can it?

I would not have thought so... but unstable signal input can cause all sorts of peculiar behaviour, so before condemning the machine as definitely having a fault, if possible, try the machine on a known stable aerial signal and see if it performs normally.

Otherwise, signal switching chips are usually responsible for faults of this nature...or their associated feed lines being 'false muted'.

rkotey

Standard Member
I would not have thought so... but unstable signal input can cause all sorts of peculiar behaviour, so before condemning the machine as definitely having a fault, if possible, try the machine on a known stable aerial signal and see if it performs normally.

Otherwise, signal switching chips are usually responsible for faults of this nature...or their associated feed lines being 'false muted'.

Still no luck. I don't have a stable aerial signal to use because I have Virgin Cable & their signal is different (I think). However, testing with the sound from the Virgin box connected to the DMR-EX77 through the scart still sees one audio channel not working. Since the Virgin box works fine through its connection to my telly I think it's definitely a fault with the Ex77.

As my warranty's expired, does anyone have any idea what sort of bill I'm looking at to get it fixed?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom