Panasonic DMC-FZ20 Aperture Query

JayCee

Outstanding Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I bought this on the spur of the moment on holiday in Florida.
I did not know it's full specs but was aware it generally gets very good reviews.
I was not aware at the time I bought it that its smallest aperture is f8.

Do you think this is going to be a problem/drawback for shots where I am going for maximum depth-of-field such as landscapes etc?

Compact actually give good depth of field. I doubt you'll have any problems at all

It's getting shallow DOF that you'll struggle with. Because the focal lengths on compacts (real not equivelent) are much smaller than 35mm and DSLR's f8 will give a very small aperture (aperture diameter =focal length/fstop).

Therefore you'll get as good depth of field on a compact at f8 as you'd probably get using a DSLR at maybe f16 or f22 (just a guess - not worked it out)

On the other side of the coin the diameter of the aperture at F2.8 on a compact would be nowhere near as big as F2.8 on a DSLR so you can't get anywhere near as shallow DOF.

That's my understanding of it anyway - of course I could be completely wrong ;)

Excellent camera BTW. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.

Matt.

MattB1 said:
It's getting shallow DOF that you'll struggle with. Because the focal lengths on compacts (real not equivelent) are much smaller than 35mm and DSLR's f8 will give a very small aperture (aperture diameter =focal length/fstop).

Therefore you'll get as good depth of field on a compact at f8 as you'd probably get using a DSLR at maybe f16 or f22 (just a guess - not worked it out)

On the other side of the coin the diameter of the aperture at F2.8 on a compact would be nowhere near as big as F2.8 on a DSLR so you can't get anywhere near as shallow DOF.

That's my understanding of it anyway - of course I could be completely wrong ;)

Excellent camera BTW. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.

Matt.

The proof of the pudding.......and all that, I'll just need to start using it seriously and see what it can do.
Thanks Matt and Sean. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom