1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic digital TV recording problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by toastie, Apr 26, 2005.

1. toastie

toastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased a Panasonic X-28DTX1 digital TV and DMR - E85H hard drive recorder DVD player. When I record by 'Direct TV' on a digital channel and then switch the TV to standby, only sound is recorded, no picture. Similarly when I play my camcorder through the TV the same happens, sound but no pictures. I have called the help lines and the store without the suggestions resolving the problem. I have checked the connections, have a fully wired scart lead, followed the advice given on the phone, (and in the appalling manuals), still no success. Can anyone help me pleasssssssse? :lease:

2. daveuns

daveuns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed this problem with my Sky+ and the DMR-E85. It is caused by a loss of RGB signal, ie if I press TV on my Sky remote it switches to PAL and I loose the pic. If I press Sky again it comes back. I suspect that when you switch off the TV it turns off the RGB signal from the scart socket.

There is a setting on the DMRE85 that tells it what to expect on it's AV1 input, if you set this to Video (Composite) this problem will go away, but being at work at the moment I haven't got the manual too hand.

I do not know your particular television but there may also be a setting on their too output RGB when switched off.

Hope this helps.

3. toastie

toastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I have found an AV1 output setting but not input on the recorder. I'll keep looking unless I can be cheeky and ask you can direct me to the right page in the manual please?

4. RohanM

RohanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    As the recorder does not have a digital input, it relies on your source to accept such signals. If the source is not set to the imput which accepts the digital signal, the recorder won't receive it...

e.g. if your cable/satellite STB is not on and on the channel you want to record, and the recorder is not set to record from the channel which has the digital input (AV1?), the recorder won't get the signal and the result will be zilch... :rtfm:

5. RohanM

RohanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Oh, yeah: it means that the 'source' has to be on (and on the correct the channel)... which means in your case, the TV has to be "on" (and not on stand-by), and on the channel you want to record...

Unless you've got an aerial plumbed in correctly, with off-air tv channels pre-set, and you use the timer to record.

6. toastie

toastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you RohanM, I have read the manuals and there is no indication of this problem. So I guess I need to swap my integrated digital TV for a normal one with a separate digital decoder...here we go, “sold items not fit for purpose" argument with JL.

7. daveuns

daveuns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi toastie, that is not the case with the Panasonic IDTV's. They can be left in standby. To get the setting have the E85 in HDD mode, press Functions, go to setup, connection, AV2 settings and then change AV2 Input to Video. You may have to connect the TV to AV2 on the DVD Recorder though.

8. toastie

toastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks daveuns, i'll try that :smashin:

9. jakehake

jakehake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had a play on this last night and found the same thing. Only difference is that I have E55 instead.

Reading the manual it suggests that the problem is the DVB signal lock/Timer recording only works on AV2 when the TV is in standby(which I have checked and proved is indeed the case). The problem then is that only AV1 is RGB enabled so for recording digital you have to be on AV2, but then to watch back anything in RGB quality you'd need to be attached to AV1. The best part is that further in the manual they suggest that a "Q-Link enabled DVD recorder" is the sort of thing that should be connected to AV1 in their eyes. Marvellous.

(Luckily I have Sky as an input so it's not a smuch of an issue but it's annoyed me I've got to say, going to query Panasonic support about it, this should be fun)

Edit: The Panasonic support now claim I should change the TV setup so that the AV1 output on the TV is set to Monitor(at present I have it set to DVB) how that will make a difference I have no idea as once I switch off the TV how will it know whether to send Analogue/DVB out? Will try shortly anyway. They then said if it didn't work it would be a fault with the AV1 output and need to go to service centre. Reading the manual I think they've just completely messed up the setup and it's going to be a problem with all their TV's

10. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Panasonic Sky DigiBoxes do not output on RGB via the VCR scart socket, but do on the TV socket :suicide: very strange. This is why you have to set the AV2 input on the DVD recorder to Video.

Presumably the iDTV sets are set up in the same way?

11. jakehake

jakehake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    But if you daisy chain a Sky digibox TV scart(RGB) to the DVDR(RGB in and out) then to the TV (RGB in) you can have RGB all the way.

Just spoken to Panasonic again and he was a bit more candid and pointed out that they have shot themselves in the foot with this one. the only potential way is to have a duplicated scart i.e. AV1 on tv to AV1 on DVDR and AV2 on TV to AV2 on DVDR. Youy could record digital programmes whilst in standby, but not in RGB, however you could still watch RGB output from the DVDR via AV1 when required.

guess the only option for recording off digital TV is to use RGB AV1 output and have to rely on TV being on! Depending when you wanted to record could set the TV offtimer to switch TV off after the recording has finished.

12. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I will have to think about this for a while - far too late on a Friday afternoon.

Alternatively just buy a separate tuner for the DVD recorder as per normal, after all we never used to worry about recording from the analogue tuners of TVs. There are some DVDRs coming out with freeview tuners built in but not aware of any with built in sky tuners. Only a matter of time though.

13. jakehake

jakehake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    it doesn't essentially affect me that much as I already use Sky as the input to the DVDR so get a decent signal to record from and can watch DVD's out via RGB too(the daisychain I mentioned is what I have setup so it does work).

It's more the fact that if like the OP you only have the TV and DVDR, despite Panasonic manufacturing them both and including such features as RGB, i.e. the best picture quality possible with the equipment, they have made it a null feature if you wish to use the IDTV DVB tuner as a source for recording from, to view DVD output in RGB you would need to keep switching scarts. Just a bit shoddy really.

14. sfhowson

sfhowson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also having major problems setting up my E85 through a pace cable box into thomson 401S. Spent hours swapping cables in order to get a menu on screen to set up the DVD (no terrestrial aerial). When I finally got a picture, as soon as I started recording the picture disappeared off the TV, although it did record. At the end of recording the DVD did not return to the clock - normal? It works fine with my old DVD into the tv RGB socket. The problem arises routing through the cable box and DVD. There is no picture through the dvd if the recosrder is on standby which seems odd. Any suggestions - re compatablity of TV/cable box, or perhaps a scart problem? If this continues, it goes back and I try SONY.

15. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    sfhowson:- I have the E95 and had a similar problem with the picture on my TV going blank when turning the DVDr on. I traced this to a setting under the 'set up' options where the AV1 connection was set to RGB. I changed this to Video and the problem was solved.

Not sure how your set up is for your TV links etc but it might be worth checking your AV1 & 2 settings under the set up options on your E85. It can get a bit confusing with RGB, Video, and Ext Link options but a bit of trial and error may do the trick.

Hope this helps

16. sfhowson

sfhowson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks. I have the settings on RGB for both, as I presumed this would give the best result.

Does the timer on yours return to the clock after recording?

17. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It does indeed, although I use the Ext Link setting as I use the Sky Box as the timer etc.

Let us know what happens when you change your settings to video.

18. jakehake

jakehake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's a trade off though isn't it, you either end up with 10 secs of blank screen whilst it fires up, or a constant but lower quality picture output to the TV despite it receiving an RGB signal from a digibbox?