Panasonic digibox misbehaving

Caroline

I have a problem with my Panasonic TU-DSB30 Sky digibox. It seems to need a wake-up call before it will allow me to change channels. I leave it on all the time, so it can't be that it needs to warm up. It is not connected to a phone line.

If I switch on the TV and then try to change channel on the digibox, it does not receive any of the numbers. Then, after about 20 seconds or so of trying, it will receive, perhaps, one of the three digits. Then, several seconds later, I try again and it will accept maybe two. Then, after about two and a half minutes it will accept all three and after that it's fine.

I'm using a Philips Pronto remote and my immediate thought was that the remote was the problem.
So I replaced the Pronto rechargeable battery unit with four new AA batteries. No difference. I checked that all the IR codes were correct in the remote but this didn't make any difference. Then tried the original Sky remote with new batteries, same problem. So I'm 99.9% certain it is not the Pronto remote which, incidentally, works my TVs, videos, DVD players, amplifiers, lights etc without problem.

I've checked all the wiring, tried unplugging the Panasonic, turning it off and on, disconnecting and reconnecting the LNB lead, but all to no avail. I've cleaned the front of the receiver and the emitter on the remote.
Any ideas, or should I trash it?

Caroline

Caroline

Thanks for the input, but I have already established that there is nothing wrong with the Pronto remote as the Panny receiver does exactly the same thing when the original Sky remote (fitted with new batteries) is used.

As the receiver is on all the time, I can only think that when the TV is switched on it somehow interferes with the Panny receiving remote commands for the first couple of minutes or so. Is this possible?

Cheers

Caroline

Nick_UK

Banned
Caroline said:
........ As the receiver is on all the time, I can only think that when the TV is switched on it somehow interferes with the Panny receiving remote commands for the first couple of minutes or so. Is this possible?

Cheers

Caroline
Highly possible if you are using a plasma screen, otherwise probably not.

Caroline

Still using good ole CRT TV. I'm going to try replacing the scart leads over the weekend to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your reply.

Caroline

Caroline

Hi Guys,
Thought you would all be interested to know what the solution to this problem was.

I decided to replace the scarts and noticed that the Digisender scart is connected between the satellite receiver and TV scart connections.

So I removed the Digisender scart and then switched on the TV and immediately tried to send a signal from the Pronto to the satellite... it worked first time!

I then reconnected the Digisender scart and the next day, when I switched the TV on, the satellite accepted commands from the Pronto from the word go.

Seems the Digisender had somehow screwed up and by doing the above it rebooted it.
Fantastic.

A good tip is, if ever you have a problem getting signals to the satellite and you have a Digisender or any similar device, check that out first.
Thanks
Caroline

Trending threads

Top Bottom