Panasonic DIGA UK range, why no EPG?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bill millet, Jul 14, 2004.

1. bill millet

bill millet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know why the new DIGA range of panasonic hard disk DVD recorders (e.g. the DMRE95HEBS) released in the UK, dont have the EPG, but the US ones do?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    GuidePlus (as found on the Philips DVDR80 and Philips new HDD/DVDR combo) is used in the US by a number of producers including Panasonic. However it was not added to the UK range for two reasons:

Firstly because insufficient bandwidth is provided to the Service in the UK to provide a accurate, adaptive EPG.

And secondly because it's long term future has a huge question mark over it. In the next 12 months we are going to see virtually all DVD recorders get their own 7 day EPG in the form of the Freeview one - no other major company has adopted Guideplus as a result which doesn't bode well for it's survival. Hence Sony and Panasonic opted to stay clear of it in the UK.

3. bill millet

bill millet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a lot of people want though, is an alternative to Sky+ and Tivo, for either cable boxes and Sky.

Which presumably a Freeview EPG wont address.

It sounded like the Philips GuidePlus, might have been the biz. Will be disapointed to hear if it doesnt work properly.

Does anyone have any more info on the shortcomings of GuidePlus in the UK?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    That's debatable! I'm certainly not looking for a replacement to Sky+ unless it offers a process where I can record a digital signal without a ADC. What features do you think Sky+ is missing that another machine would offer?

IMHO Sky+ when it works is hard for anyone to beat - certainly your average customer will be perfectly happy with the functionality. The fact the £10 subscription is almost gone has effectively made Sky+ the default option for new Sky customers as well as old ones as and when their Digiboxes need replacing.

GuidePlus does work properly in the UK - it's just not change to reflect last minute changes in the schedule and might not exist for that many years. If you are really after such a machine then GuidePlus will cater for your needs. But you'd probably be alot happier with Sky+...

5. Dark Eyes

Dark Eyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It seems as though EPG type interfaces are an important consideration in some peoples decision to buy a PVR product.

Do they set the record times, as listed eg 21:00 - 22:00, and if so is this still susceptible to the broadcasters ability to transmit programmes on time.

I always add 2 mins to the start time and 5 minutes to end time to try and make sure I have the whole programme recorded.
    Which makes an EPG driven timer less useful than Videoplus.

6. bill millet

bill millet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, if I had sky, I'd definitely get sky+

But my personal preference for other reasons is to stick with ntl (cost, no sat dish, maintenance).

But in trying to cut down on the number of boxes beneath my tv, I would dearly want a HD DVDR that has a decent EPG (so has some of the benefits of acting like a PVR).