Panasonic DIGA DMR-BCT83 (Nordic model of DMR-BCT820, 720,721)

Status
Not open for further replies.

avstudent

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Regarding Panasonic DIGA DMR-BCT83 which is the Nordic model of UK models DMR-BCT820 or 720 or 721.

I'm located in Helsinki and about to purchase the above Nordic model. I have studied the PDFs Operating Instructions of both models and the questions I raise below would also apply to the UK models.

I currently have a Sony HDD&DVD DVD Recorder (Model RDR-HX1000) which won the EISA (European Digital Recorder of the Year 2004/2005). Recording and dubbing is straightforward, but current similar machines now have more copyright restrictions such as CINAVIA technology. The unit has worked very well but now the dubbing function from HD to DVD has stopped working (it plays DVDs OK) and Sony's authorised service agent advise that Sony is no longer in a position to provide spares. I suppose this is a matter of built-in obsolescence on Sony's part vis-a-vis current CINAVIA agreements with the entertainment industry. I would appreciate knowing if any member has been able to have a similar problem sorted.

For the following I would especially welcome comments from Finnish AVForum members who have the Panasonic DIGA DMR-BCT83 (or 73).

The Panasonic Operating Manual makes mention of the following:

Retention Limit: Some recorded titles may have a restriction that the Permitted Playback Period is 90 minutes after recording. I don't know how common such TV programmes are and how common they are in Finland. Such a retention limit would eliminate recordings made while away or overnight. Comments please...

Recording Time: This can be from 30 minutes to 4 hours. For sports programmes longer than 4 hours presumably one would have to make successive programming. This should work except there would be a loss of one minute of the earlier recording (see below).

Successive Programming: When you programme successive time recordings to start, about last one (1) minute of earlier programme will not be recorded.

Multiple Chapters: You can divide a title into Multiple Chapters. I am not familiar with 'chapters'. What's the advantage of multiple chapters?

There is an excellent Danish Review (11 Jan 2014) on the web. The reviewer says that when recording 2 encrypted channels you can record only one of the channels decrypted; the other has to be recorded encrypted. This is clear, but the reviewer goes on to say that the encrypted recording can be decrypted during playback. Is this correct: that you can watch an encrypted recording directly without having separately to decrypt it. That is, the decryption happens automatically as you watch?

The Danish reviewer mentions that the Coaxial Connecting Cable supplied with the unit by Panasonic is not good quality. Any comments or advice please regarding coaxials and HDMIs...

Will I encounter any problems connecting the Panasonic to either a Samsung or Sony TV?

Many thanks in anticipation!

You're posting in the wrong place.
This thread is about movies & TV shows (available on Blu-ray, DVD etc), not about the hardware that plays them.

Try posting in the hardware threads :smashin:
Home Cinema | AVForums

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom