Panasonic DB-35

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by daviddixon, Jun 12, 2009.

1. daviddixon

daviddixon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Purchased a Panasonic DB-35 blue ray player as i have a panasonic plasma TV and panasonic dvd 5.1 sound system. I have connected HDMI cable between BD-35 for the video and so that i get the sound from the 5.1 system have used an optical cable between the BD-35 and sound system. I have set the sound option on the BD-35 so that it will not use the HDMI cable and use the optical cable. so should work. Well i know it works as used a standard DVD and sound comes out of 5.1 speakers, when i play a blue ray disk will only come out of TV when i change the setting for sound to the HDMI cable. However not complicate it anymore but i will!! when playing blue ray disk i can get sound through the 5.1 system but only when i select sound with commentary option from the menu so i am puzzled as to whether its the settings on the player or the disk as i can get it working properly as said above when i use a convential dvd disk??

2. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,943
    Welcome to the forum. :)
    The reason your getting no sound might be because your system cannot accept DTS over it's optical Input (common with Panasonic cinema systems) i'm guessing the DVD's that worked were Dolby Digital discs?
    All the best.

3. daviddixon

daviddixon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply. Having looked at the Theatre System instruction booklet there seems to be an audio tab which then gives cloice of Dolby Digital (Bitestream or PCM) DTS Surround sound (Bitstream or PCM) MPEG (Bitstream or PCM)
    So not sure . Why would i have got sound through theatre speakers via optical for the "commentary hard of hearing" version when playing the blu ray disk (DIE HARD 4.0!!) as the movie sound was great just a pain with the commentary.

I wonder if any settings need to be changed on the theatre system first? i.e what i said in first paragraph? might but another blu ray disk and see if any difference. Its a shame if this does not work otherwise it will be just using the HDMI via Tv for sound.

4. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,943
    What showed on the cinema system with the commentary track?
    Also,do you have any DTS DVD's you can try.

5. daviddixon

daviddixon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well when in the comentary selection get everything picture and sound. Have just bought Quantum of Solace and all started well with trailers sounded great but did see they were in "dolby" when i selected the audio button to check but then when main film started it switched to "DTS-HD" and hence no sound so guess my theatre system does not deal with DTS shame as seems i am stuck with good picture and sound via HDMI to TV speakers. I guess blu ray dvds are all in DTS?

6. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,943
    Yeah i thought that might be the problem. :(
    Not every disc has DTS-MA quite a few have TrueHD plus PCM on some as well both will offer DD 5.1 to your system.

7. daviddixon

daviddixon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, so just to be clear what should i look for on case of blu ray when buying?

The DVD Home theatre i have by the way is the Panasonic SC-PT850.Just a bit puzzled as i said earlier as there is ref to DTS Digital surround on the player settings page ?

8. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,943
    TrueHD or PCM soundtrack discs will play fine as DD 5.1.

9. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    In the audio settings on the BD35 you should be able to tell it to downmix DTS-HD and DTS over digital out to PCM. If you also make sure that the separate downmix setting is also set to surround encoded instead of stereo, there is a chance that you DVD cinema system may well give you surround audio, even though it's not as good as proper DTS. However, it may well be better than nothing.

Give it a try and let us know what happens.

10. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    For some reason, some Panasonic all-in-one systems support DTS playback through it's built in player, but only accept PCM and Dolby Digital over their optical input. No idea why.

If you tell the Panasonic to downmix just DTS to PCM you should be ok for now and can buy any Blu-ray you wish.

11. daviddixon

daviddixon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian

Changed it to surround encoded rather than stereo and then also changed DTS to PCM seeting rather that Bitstream and seems to have done the trick and then put the security setting as far as the mix is to OFF
    Cheers for your help guys

12. daviddixon

daviddixon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just another little issue, should i be watching in 16:9 or 16:9 full, within the TV aspects setting in the BD-35?

Does say in instructions that 16:9 setting is 4:3 in centre of screen and 16:9 full setting is 4:3 stretached horizonally.

I can adjust TV to the Zoom setting so it fills the screen however the 16.1 setting is i guess the correct one for wide angle TV.

any comments welcomed

13. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,943
    This affects 4:3 content only :) if you want it stretched then leave to 16:9 FULL.
    Cheers.