Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic D4 plasma, thoughts...

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Dec 10, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    Got a D4 42" plasma in for dem and have been playing around with it. Did greyscale on it and it measures as D3 did. Warm temperature being closest to correct but too warm.....

I can confirm it accepts PAL progressive on component inputs now.

Not sure if it's supposed to have 2:3 recognition for de-interlacing but from test material I would say it definately doesn't....so using an external video processor is still going to bring benefits with this one.

Here's the weird thing though. The old model allowed several aspect ratio's on component input but not on PC input. This one now has only zoom and anamorphic settings on component (so forget watching 4:3 material in correct aspect ratio on pal progressive) but has all the aspect ratio's available on PC input!

Weird.....

Looking good though.

Gordon

2. NeilS

NeilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Gordon, can you recommend picture settings for this set which are closest to correct or is it just the 'temperature' setting you've changed?

Neil

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    Every set will be different to some degree and will be dependant on ancillary equipment used.

Out of the box contrast and brightness is pretty good at standard settings. I think contrast is too high myself but there doesn't appear to be any clipping of white detail. The warm temperature measured 5300-6050K before calibration (where measureable) after was 6280-6600K but I think I can get it better when I have another go. Ran out of time....

Gordon