panasonic d28. is this backlight bleed?

paultownsend

panasonic d28. is this backlight bleed?

im new to led side lit tv's .

last week i returned a lg le4900 due to the case coming apart and having light clouding in each corner. only noticeable when watching movies when there are black bars on the top and bottom of screen.

so i pumped in a few extra pounds and plumped for the panasonic d28 as it was a very expensive set, with good reviews. seemed to be the same set as the d25 but in a different case. For £450 from curries.

on sd freeview its perfect. on full screen xbox its also great.

however when watching movies, when the black bars are present on the top and bottom of the screen, the clouding is back. Just in random blotches along the bottom and top.
i tested it on dark scenes (blade runner) and it does not effect the picture itself. also if i zoom in on the aspect menu to full screen it also creates no issues.

is this just normal operation for led sidelit tv's? and not really classed as bleeding?

hope i made sense!

Paul

Last edited:

paultownsend

pictures! this is on av1 with nothing connected. i must stress. i'm watching 5th gear on iplayer (full screen) and everything looks perfect. all enhancers are off and set up as per the hdtv test set up specs.

side.jpg

abovetop.jpg

sideabove.jpg

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
Your links are knackered :)

Backlight bleed seems very common on edgelit LEDs unfortunately. If clean blacks are for you, look at plasma but they start at 42"

vickster

Distinguished Member
Looks like a poorly uniform screen but no clear clouding patches? Again, pretty usual with those edgelit chaps

amebix1

Standard Member
here is a button sequence for this model, i think it is to try and reset the edge lighting. PRESS f BUTTON on right hand side of the screen, turn down volume to zero with tv remote, hold down I (information) button on remote for a few seconds, switch of set and unplug it for 30 plus seconds. plug it back in and may your blacks be blacker! if you feel that the screen is still too cloudy for your liking after this send it back. i am on my 3rd of these sets in a month. second set arrived with about 30% light seepage on the screen. new set is close to perfect.

amebix1

Standard Member
it seems to be pot luck mate with these edge light sets, if you get one with just a tiny bit of seepage/bleeding in the corner then thats a good one by the looks of the three i've had, if you can still see the seepage on the black bars of a dvd/blu-ray then its a duffer. i bought my tx-l32d28b from dixons online and they have been quite good at replacing these sets, also try using a good calibration disc like AVS 709, ITS FREE to download and has some brilliant test patterns on it, you will need a blu-ray player to use it though. i was given the button sequence fron dixons KNOW-HOW TEAM, i have'nt made it up. hope this is of help to you.

paultownsend

i phoned know how and they confirmed the sequence. but its just a full factory reset and diagnostic screen.

iv finally hooked up the freesat and you cant tell. when the full screen is being used all seems perfect.

il wait until later to cast full judgement when its nice and dark.

my friends sony ex403 is perfect with the blacks. maybe its the lack of LED's

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
my friends sony ex403 is perfect with the blacks. maybe its the lack of LED's

Edgelit LED is a bit of backward step, unless you are paying for a top of the line model it is often worse than having a standard CCFL LCD. But atleast the sets are thinner :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom