Panasonic Customer Service Disgrace!

Rexder

Novice Member
My Pana- TX65EZ952b Oled TV started to develop screen burn. I don't pause pictures nor am I a gamer. I have no kids to abuse it and I calibrate carefully. The TV is 2 and a half years old. The screen burn consists of a dark circular cloud in the centre third of the screen and artifacts consistent with black banding around the bottom and top of the screen.
It has been getting gradually worse over the last 4 weeks.
I have done the panel maintenance numerous times. I have contacted customer service and sent them the screenshots. They confirm screen burn and say its not covered with the 6 year warranty. I have written to The CEO and received a reply that basically says tough luck and we won't help!
£3500 for a TV to last 2 years is a Disgrace.
This was an investment from a so called reputable company. I have always bought Panasonic. No more.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
You could make some noise on Twitter perhaps, or go back to the place where you bought it. 2.5y doesn’t sound good for an OLED, but then I think that the technology just isn’t worth the hassle, in spite of the better pictures. OLED = Plasma to my mind, when it comes to image retention/damage.

LCDseeker

My Pana- TX65EZ952b Oled TV started to develop screen burn. I don't pause pictures nor am I a gamer. I have no kids to abuse it and I calibrate carefully. The TV is 2 and a half years old. The screen burn consists of a dark circular cloud in the centre third of the screen and artifacts consistent with black banding around the bottom and top of the screen.
It has been getting gradually worse over the last 4 weeks.
I have done the panel maintenance numerous times. I have contacted customer service and sent them the screenshots. They confirm screen burn and say its not covered with the 6 year warranty. I have written to The CEO and received a reply that basically says tough luck and we won't help!
£3500 for a TV to last 2 years is a Disgrace.
This was an investment from a so called reputable company. I have always bought Panasonic. No more.
Has it been checked by an engineer to confirm it's screen burn rather than a panel fault? If it is then all manufacturers make it clear they don't cover for screen burn no matter how well you look after the set. It's why I refuse to buy one. Where did you buy it from, try them maybe? Top end LCD's are getting close to OLED's now anyway so save yourself the money and stress and go for one of them with your next purchase.

Rexder

Novice Member
You could make some noise on Twitter perhaps, or go back to the place where you bought it. 2.5y doesn’t sound good for an OLED, but then I think that the technology just isn’t worth the hassle, in spite of the better pictures. OLED = Plasma to my mind, when it comes to image retention/damage.
I have contacted Richer Sounds. I will post their response over next day or so.

Rexder

Novice Member
So contacted richer sounds and asked for their help. I asked them to look into my purchase history with them as I have bought from them for many years.
They offered to take the Panasonic away and said I could choose any TV from them up to the value of £2000.
I have done this and now have a new TV. 6 year Warranty and receipt.!
Richer sounds have been amazing. Customer care at its best. I can't thank them enough.
Panasonic offered to send an engineer and charge me £85 for the visit! Or they could give me the numbers of local repair shops. How helpful and considerate they are. I will never buy another Panasonic product and I have never felt so let down by a company.
I Now have a Samsung QE65Q90T and it's far superior in every way. I didn't think Qled would be as good but oh my the picture quality is superior and the operating system amazing.
So long Panasonic, they really do not care one jot about their customers.
Thankyou so much to Richer Sounds.

LCDseeker

So contacted richer sounds and asked for their help. I asked them to look into my purchase history with them as I have bought from them for many years.
They offered to take the Panasonic away and said I could choose any TV from them up to the value of £2000.
Richer sounds have been amazing. Customer care at its best. I can't thank them enough.
Panasonic offered to send an engineer and charge me £85 for the visit! Or they could give me the numbers of local repair shops. How helpful and considerate they are. I will never buy another Panasonic product and I have never felt so let down by a company.
I Now have a Samsung QE65Q90T and it's far superior in every way. I didn't think Qled would be as good but oh my the picture quality is superior and the operating system amazing.
Doesn't surprise me that RS have come through for you. I'll only ever buy from them for my AV products. I was reading yesterday about a guy who has a faulty OLED and because it's over 12 months old Panasonic have washed their hands of it.

CaptainJames

Well done to RS, pleased that they came through for you, they obviously went above and beyond. Panasonic unfortunately do not have a great reputation for customer service, so you have to buy them with that in mind.

I fully understand why you would want to avoid them going forward, however just to be fair I think you would find the 2020 OLED panels to be much better in terms of both PQ and screen burn. I used to have a Panny ZT plasma which was susceptible to image retention even after a relatively short screen time, although it never developed into permanent screen burn as I was aware and careful.

On the Panny HZ1000 though, so far I haven't seen a hint of retention, even after several hours on Sky Sports for instance. You just need to be aware of the issue and not subject it to any unnecessary static images for hours on end, or use it for gaming preferably.

Rexder

Novice Member
Doesn't surprise me that RS have come through for you. I'll only ever buy from them for my AV products. I was reading yesterday about a guy who has a faulty OLED and because it's over 12 months old Panasonic have washed their hands of it.
Exactly what has happened

Rexder

Novice Member
Well done to RS, pleased that they came through for you, they obviously went above and beyond. Panasonic unfortunately do not have a great reputation for customer service, so you have to buy them with that in mind.

I fully understand why you would want to avoid them going forward, however just to be fair I think you would find the 2020 OLED panels to be much better in terms of both PQ and screen burn. I used to have a Panny ZT plasma which was susceptible to image retention even after a relatively short screen time, although it never developed into permanent screen burn as I was aware and careful.

On the Panny HZ1000 though, so far I haven't seen a hint of retention, even after several hours on Sky Sports for instance. You just need to be aware of the issue and not subject it to any unnecessary static images for hours on end, or use it for gaming preferably.
It was a definite panel defect.
The screen burn was happening all over the panel in different areas and progressing not just in the normal bands. Large clouds forming also. The tech guys at Panasonic allegedly looked at the images sent and dismissed it as screen burn and would not lift a finger to help.
Disgusting.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I will look into it, Thankyou.
I doubt they sell it to people that haven't bought the TV from them, but you can try.

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately Panasonic TV's have progressively lost their way. A lot of people remember them from the Plasma days when they were at their peak.

Sadly, this is no longer so. Now, everything has tailed off really.

They don't really support their TV's with decent firmware updates much beyond a year. Their My Home interface is still not compatible with Disney+. Their customer service is lacking.

Panasonic TV now concentrate on niche areas. They have long been overtaken by other TV manufacturers otherwise.

CaptainJames

Unfortunately Panasonic TV's have progressively lost their way. A lot of people remember them from the Plasma days when they were at their peak.

Sadly, this is no longer so. Now, everything has tailed off really.

They don't really support their TV's with decent firmware updates much beyond a year. Their My Home interface is still not compatible with Disney+. Their customer service is lacking.

Panasonic TV now concentrate on niche areas. They have long been overtaken by other TV manufacturers otherwise.
I think that's a bit harsh, If I may. Their customer service has long been a bit ropey, it's obviously a bit of an internal cultural issue, but the quality of their TVs is top notch. They have been concentrating on accuracy and using input from Hollywood colourists which is no bad thing. Most manufacturers only support firmware updates until a new model comes along , they are in the business of selling new TVs.

Like everything else, it's horses for courses - if you want a massively bright TV set to Dynamic and used primarily for gaming, then buy an LCD, not a Panasonic OLED.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom