Panasonic Contrast/White Level

Cabo 5150

I've had a Panasonic TH-42PW4BX for a month now. I've only had time to watch a few DVD's on it, but I have noticed the factory presets for the contrast setting seems excessively bright - around +25. I've done some research, and some experts seem to suggest dropping the level to around -20 (reducing burn-in risk), which I must admit seems too dim. Does anyone have any "official" guidelines on a sensible level? I could probably get used to -20. Many thanks in advance for any thoughts.

J

jmack

do you have a thx disk ,ie toy story, monsters inc, t2, there is a way to setup your screen on there
my setting`s for component dvd are -5contrast -3 brightness
my settings for pc/tv -17 contrast -15 brightness

Cabo 5150

Originally posted by jmack
do you have a thx disk ,ie toy story, monsters inc, t2, there is a way to setup your screen on there
my setting`s for component dvd are -5contrast -3 brightness
my settings for pc/tv -17 contrast -15 brightness
Hi jmack. I do have all of those discs, are you referring to the THX Optimiser? I've used the one on Attack of The Clones. Although I find it very useful - I find it doesn't help with the contrast setting, as I can still make out all of the 8 "white boxes" at any level of contrast. I'm not a technician, but perhaps this effect applies to all plasma's. Ah well, I guess it's all up individual taste:D

Paul D

I agree about the confusing "contrast" level on the 42" 5 series Panny, as it will not bleach or bloom on higher settings!

But i am getting a feel for the right setting on most displays due to the amount of demos i get. I just need a disc like Gladiator or Toy Story 2 as i tend to know how these disc should look etc.

Different DVD players will need slightly different setting but i found:-

"Normal mode"
Contrast = +5
Brightness = 0
Sharpness = 0 (+5 for SKY TV via SYNC Blaster cable)
Colour balance "normal"
Gamma 2.2

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New TVs, Samsung Q800T Soundbar review, IFA latest, Movie and AV News, B+W Brad Pitt
Top Bottom