1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Contrast/White Level

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Cabo 5150, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Cabo 5150

Cabo 5150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've had a Panasonic TH-42PW4BX for a month now. I've only had time to watch a few DVD's on it, but I have noticed the factory presets for the contrast setting seems excessively bright - around +25. I've done some research, and some experts seem to suggest dropping the level to around -20 (reducing burn-in risk), which I must admit seems too dim. Does anyone have any "official" guidelines on a sensible level? I could probably get used to -20. Many thanks in advance for any thoughts.

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you have a thx disk ,ie toy story, monsters inc, t2, there is a way to setup your screen on there
    my setting`s for component dvd are -5contrast -3 brightness
    my settings for pc/tv -17 contrast -15 brightness

3. Cabo 5150

Cabo 5150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi jmack. I do have all of those discs, are you referring to the THX Optimiser? I've used the one on Attack of The Clones. Although I find it very useful - I find it doesn't help with the contrast setting, as I can still make out all of the 8 "white boxes" at any level of contrast. I'm not a technician, but perhaps this effect applies to all plasma's. Ah well, I guess it's all up individual taste:D

4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I agree about the confusing "contrast" level on the 42" 5 series Panny, as it will not bleach or bloom on higher settings!

But i am getting a feel for the right setting on most displays due to the amount of demos i get. I just need a disc like Gladiator or Toy Story 2 as i tend to know how these disc should look etc.

Different DVD players will need slightly different setting but i found:-

"Normal mode"
    Contrast = +5
    Brightness = 0
    Sharpness = 0 (+5 for SKY TV via SYNC Blaster cable)
    Colour balance "normal"
    Gamma 2.2