1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Connections help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mikeq, Oct 10, 2002.

1. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

When I move into my new house in January I am going to get a Panasonic 42" plasma and a Sony DAVS550.

I will also have an XBox, a PS2 and Sky Digital.

Can you tell me what connections I need to use, cables, converters and the like, it is all very confusing at the moment.

Also is there any difference between the Toshiba and the Panasonic, apart from price.

Thanks
    Mike

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Tosh and panny are the same screen.

Panny plasmas have SVideo, Component, Composit & VGA inputs.
    Use a JSTech RGB>Plasma box to connect all RGB boxes ($ky, PS2 etc). JS Tech box has Scart in and standard VGA D plug out and 2 phono to plasma.

3. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice MarkE19

Mike

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    mikeq and Mark19

Just a quick note re the Panasonic and Toshiba clones.

The Toshiba 42WP16 is a clone of the Panasonic TH-42PW4B - the Panasonic 4 Series displays have just been superseded by the new 5 Series and I believe Toshibas 'next' generation models will be NEC based and not Panasonic based.

One non technical difference between these two 'identical' displays being that Panasonic supply a 12 month 'on-site' warranty whilst Toshiba supply a 24 month Return to Base warranty.

I dont expect too many of either models will be available by Jan 2003.

Best regards

Joe

5. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,

I was thinking that there may not be many available by Jan 03 and I don't know if I should buy now and store it or wait for a series '5' model. But I haven't seen any reviews of the '5' and don't know if it will be as good as the '4', plus I would imagine the price will be higher than the current '4' pricing. Any thoughts?

You are based in Romano Bridge, is that right? Do you have viewing facilities?

Regards
    Mike

6. steelej

steelej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mike,

I demoed a 4 series and bought a 5, I could see any difference in picture quality between the two.

John.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Mikeq

Finally got to view the 5 Series displays yesterday and from initial viewing I see no reason to worry about the video quality as compared to a 4 Series display.

We have just moved the 'company' out to Romanno Bridge and are working on a viewing facility - I'll PM you with more details.

Joe

PS Didn't even notice you were in Edinburgh - we get so few Scottish customers that I never even look at the 'Location' box these days.