panasonic connection opinions required

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by mrlobby, Feb 13, 2003.

1. mrlobby

mrlobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting my new panasonic 5 series 42" with a TY-42TM4Z Component input video card tommorow.

I wish to connect a sony 305 dvd and a panasonic sky box to it and want the best picture quality, I would be obliged for your opinions and comments or tried alternatives that you consider better.

option 1(Cost £240) :

dvd to sky box with a qed rgb squart,
    sky box to js rgb 2 vga box with a qed rgb squart,
    js rgb 2 vga box to plasma with a belkin gold svga cable.

option 2 (Cost £100):

dvd to sky box with a qed rgb squart,
    sky box to plasma component card with a squart Scart to 6 phono, RGB Video, Sync and Stereo Audio.

Many Thanks

Lobby

2. DAUpton

DAUpton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the JS RGB to VGA box is great. I got mine after reading the number of posts in this forum recommending it.

I did not try anything else so my opinion is a bit biased.

3. Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the QED Scart to RGB Phone lead on order for connecting my Sky to Plasma via component connections. I'll let you know what I think when I get it.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The scart to 6 phono doesn't always work, some rgb boxes don't put out enough of a synch signal. The JS box is a sure fire hit with the panasonic screen.

5. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    The scart to 6 RCA approach will give pretty much the same quality picture as the JS box as long as the 2 RGB devices can handle this type of connection well. An added bonus for this approach is that you could stick a VCR on the end of the chain as well, as it would run up the sync/composite connection to the plasma.

HTH

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    True, but don't forget you will be rendering the s-video in redundant, and you really should think about an s-vhs recorder if you must have one.

7. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Maw,

that is also very true. The difficulty is trying to justify the extra expenditure - an extra £140 to take the JS route and then another £150 - £200 for a decent SVHS VCR.

By this point I would prefer to go the 6 RCA route and add £100 - £200 more to the money saved and buy a HD or DVD recorder!

8. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Liam,
    yes, you do going via the VCR but not all pass through RGB and you'd be getting a delay from the VCR processing the video signal, resulting in a shift to the left. You could compensate for this to a certain degree, but if the shift starts to affect the back porch you will get problems with the screen picking up the black level - not good!

Also, if you go down the route of connecting up the RGB and composite sync input then that's it - you can't make use of the component video or S-Video inputs. If you can move the RGB to the VGA input via RGB to Plasma VGA unit, then do so. Now you've got your component video input free for use with a progressive scanning DVD player and you've still got S-Video/Composite video free.

Now, lets talk about cost. You've spend 3.5k on a plasma screen. Do you not want to get the best from it? For a tiny fraction of that cost, you can get much more from the screen by adding interface boxes. And these allow you to make better use of the inputs you've already got.

Everybody has their own requirements. For some who only wish to connect up one source to their screen, the SCART to Phonos may be the solution - but some do have compatiblity problems. For others who have multiple sources, Sky, DVD, XBox, VCR etc, interfaces will be required and should be used to get the best out their screen.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    In my experience, it's actually about 1/2 of 'rgb' devices appear not to work with the panny and RGB+ synch, and I have yet to work out why or even which, as it's not consistent. Try if you like, but the QED lead is £85, it could easily be a waste.

10. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    In this circumstance it is only the connection of a DVD player and Sky box. Any of the following options could be beneficial but at the same time any of them could leave you problems in your next upgrade or on your next bank statement!

-use a VGA interface box: the VGA connection is used freeing up component/RGB and composite/SVHS connections.

-use 6 phono's: the whole terminal board is used freeing up only the VGA connection

-use an RGB - YUV converter: the component inputs are used freeing up composite/SVHS and VGA.

-use an interlacer like the IScan Ultra and an RGB - YUV converter for the Sky and DVD: only the component (or VGA) connection is used freeing up another component (on the IScan), a couple of composite and SVHS connections (Iscan and terminal board) and the VGA port (or another component depending on connection to plasma from IScan). This also gives you a Chroma filter and excellent de-interlacing!!

I guess the moral of the story is spend as much time planning your connections as you do choosing the plasma! Take into account possible future equipment such as a scaler, a PC or a progressive scan DVD and tailor your decision around that. Have a look at the "connections Database - contribute here" thread to get other ideas. Good Luck !!

As for me, i'm off to the pub to watch the Arsenal Vs Man U game. I would like to wish good luck to both teams and may the best team (Arsenal) win :smashin: