1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic confusion

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Andy3, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Perhaps I'm being thick (it wouldn't be the first time..) but I've just been looking at the Pana TX26LXD50 and its bigger 32" brother over on the Panasonic.co.uk site. They are marked as 'new product', but in the spec there is no sign of either DVI or HDMI sockets. I tell you, I usually do quite a bit of research before spending my money, but the HD LCD market takes the biscuit. Never been more frustrated!

2. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    Look for the newer models, 500 series(?)

These carry HDMI and are HD ready, I think!

3. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks Dom, I've got a nice printout of the 500 here now. Sounds good and looks nice (although I'm sure 'er indoors will find summat wrong :nono: ...). Still no sign of any 28" lcd's though.
    Any ideas why this size doesn't get a look in? Our CRT telly is a Pana 28" WS, and it's just the right size - 26 might look a bit pokey by comparison and 32 is a bit over-the-top for our small lounge.

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    A 26" LCD will give just about the same size as a 28" CRT...where as a 30" LCD is just about the same size as a 32" CRT....so a 32" LCD is..........

It is something to do with how CRT's are measured and how much of the screen isn't actually seens/overlaps the casing I believe.

Someone will give a more technical reason............

5. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Normal CRT's give there measurement based on the actual size of the tube, but on crt's the casing overlaps about an inch or so around the edge so you lose about 2 inches from the quoted size so for a 32" screen, what you actually get to watch is closer to 30" (one reason for the overlapping is because the picture quality on a crt degrades rapidly at the very edges of the tube, so this is covered up by the casing to hide it)

For plasmas/lcd screens, what they quote is what you can actually see as there is no overlap of the screen and casing as it is for CRTS. hence why a 26" flat panel will have a visible size of 26" which is what the actual visible size is for a 28" CRT

6. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks. Funnily enough, I came over all curious just after I posted the above, and measured the visible diagonal of our Pana 28. It is 67cm = 26.3 inches. Actually the whole of the active screen is visible, ie it is not masked by the case. But you are right when you say that they tend to quote the 'glass' measurement rather than the picture size. Anyhoo - it looks like a 26" lcd will suffice - great news, as they're cheaper :D
    I'm still trying to force myself to wait for some more 'new generation' models to appear :rolleyes: :rolleyes: