1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Component problem this can't be right...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Paul Reading, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Panasonic TH-42Pw4 with the RCA terminal board. When I use the component input I can only have either 16:9 or zoom. How on earth can I watch 4:3 material without cutting off the top or bottom of the film?

This is so frustrating as I was hoping to but the Pioneer AX-10i and only use component input for all my video sources. Obviously I could go back to using s-video but having just bought the Arcam DV88+ I want to use the componant-progressive scan output.

Is there a workaround or a firmware upgrade for this or is it a 'Known issue'.

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on component imput you will get zoom/16.9/4.3 unless you are using progressive scan then its only zoom/16.9

hope this helps

3. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that will solve the problem, but it is hardly satisfactory. I want to use PS obviously, do all plasmas have this problem, is there a fix that you know of, can I get the firmware upgraded?

4. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Not sure if all plasmas display this behaviour, but you are correct about the Panasonic. My Denon 3800 DVD player has a 'squeeze' option in the setup, which then recognises a 4:3 source and displays it correctly when the plasma is set to 16:9.

5. steelej

steelej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's only the series 4 that has this limitation, the 5 series panny allows all aspects in component/progressive.

John.

6. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh great. Is it possible to upgrade from 4 to 5?