Panasonic can support only 5 years for their Plasma spare parts

melody50

Novice Member
My Plasma died end of last year Panasonic p42st50t which I brought in 2012 and unfortunately the Panasonic confirmed they don't have any spare parts and they can support only 5 years from the manufactured date.

Does all the manufactures support only 5 years?

I went for Plasma due to better refresh rates, now which brand should I look in 55 inch category, need to have similar performance with my plasma, for temporary I brought locally assembled(India) LED tv and I can feel the Plasma was far-ahead 10 years before, only the heat, low brightness and power consumption were the drawbacks, I would sacrifice the drawbacks for better picture quality.

upload_2019-2-2_21-31-0.jpeg

Dodgexander

You can find spare parts on eBay, its normal for manufacturers to support products for so little time. Usually even after 1-2 years they do not offer repairs anymore.

There are many threads on here previously from people moving on from a Plasma. LCDs and OLEDs treat motion differently and refresh rate is not the only story.

There is more to read about it here:

Thinking of replacing your plasma?
Explanation and Best Buys for the Motion sensitive 2018 Edition

The primary thing to consider when buying an LCD or OLED is that you are reliant on motion enhancements to create better motion whereas Plasma tech is good out of the box without any turned on.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
I bought a Samsung KS series tv in 2017, at the end of its life cycle. It developed a fault 9 months later and they couldn’t repair it and I got a free upgrade from a 43” to 49” - they stopped making same spec of tv in 43”.

melody50

Novice Member
You can find spare parts on eBay, its normal for manufacturers to support products for so little time. Usually even after 1-2 years they do not offer repairs anymore.

There are many threads on here previously from people moving on from a Plasma. LCDs and OLEDs treat motion differently and refresh rate is not the only story.

There is more to read about it here:

Thinking of replacing your plasma?
Explanation and Best Buys for the Motion sensitive 2018 Edition

The primary thing to consider when buying an LCD or OLED is that you are reliant on motion enhancements to create better motion whereas Plasma tech is good out of the box without any turned on.
It is unfortunate for TV makers to support less than 5 years for their product.
I had 2 plasma the first one was fine till 10 years and 2nd one failed at 5 years.

Thanks for your suggestion on replacing Plasma, I am looking at QLED series 7 or LG OLed 'C' series

melody50

Novice Member
I bought a Samsung KS series tv in 2017, at the end of its life cycle. It developed a fault 9 months later and they couldn’t repair it and I got a free upgrade from a 43” to 49” - they stopped making same spec of tv in 43”.
You got replacement may be it was under warranty period

Dodgexander

It is unfortunate for TV makers to support less than 5 years for their product.
I had 2 plasma the first one was fine till 10 years and 2nd one failed at 5 years.

Thanks for your suggestion on replacing Plasma, I am looking at QLED series 7 or LG OLed 'C' series
Depends on local pricing and your specific needs but these two usually are not good value compared to the Sony XF9005 and the LG B8.

Analysis

My Plasma died end of last year Panasonic p42st50t which I brought in 2012 and unfortunately the Panasonic confirmed they don't have any spare parts and they can support only 5 years from the manufactured date.

I went for Plasma due to better refresh rates, now which brand should I look in 55 inch category, need to have similar performance with my plasma, for temporary I brought locally assembled(India) LED tv and I can feel the Plasma was far-ahead 10 years before, only the heat, low brightness and power consumption were the drawbacks, I would sacrifice the drawbacks for better picture quality.

View attachment 1114861

You will save money with a modern tv, that's for sure, 300W is a lot in today's standards.

55" normally operate at around 90 watts, 49" about 75 watts.

Going from Plasma to OLED is the natural solution.

melody50

Novice Member
Here Samsung QLED Q7 and Sony XF9005 is in same price bracket, however LG B8 is bit expensive., personally I am pulled to OLED due to natural colors and Deep Black, feel some similarity to Plasma.

Have few questions
Is the power consumption & Heat generated is similar to Plasma on OLED?

Another question is if 24hz material is shown on 2 different TV, assume series 5 from Samsung and QLED or LG B8, will the burring will be same effect or QLED &LG B8 will have smoother picture?

Dodgexander

The LG B8 should be priced a little cheaper than the C8. The C8 is the same TV only with a more up to date processor, it doesn't really mean much at all and side by side they are probably indistinguishable.

The Sony XF9005 you can argue is still better value than the Samsung Q7 just because it has local dimming that works well which the Samsung does not.

Is the power consumption & Heat generated is similar to Plasma on OLED?
Have a look at the power consumption figures, with SDR usage modern TVs, even OLEDs consume very little. Once you get into HDR teritory where the light output on LCDs and OLEDs are on full they consume a lot more, possibly more than a Plasma TV.
Another question is if 24hz material is shown on 2 different TV, assume series 5 from Samsung and QLED or LG B8, will the burring will be same effect or QLED &LG B8 will have smoother picture?
burring?

If you are asking in general about motion with movies at 24hz then all the TVs you are looking at support 24hz playback at the correct frame rate and without judder.

Other motion aspects are different between TVs though, especially between technology. There is a lot to explain between them all, I wrote about the differences between them here: Thinking of replacing your plasma? & Explanation and Best Buys for the Motion sensitive 2018 Edition

Some people get along with LCD motion, some people OLED. The only way you'll know for sure is when you own the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom