1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Camcorder Compatible With Apple Imac

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by nathan_hill69, Aug 8, 2002.

1. nathan_hill69

nathan_hill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just purchased a Panasonic NV-GX7B Camcorder (UK model) and have suddenly become aware that I might have compatibility problems with the new Imac I have on order.

Basically does anyone else have any experiences using the Firewire connection between these two devices? Reading other message boards has raised concerns that after spending a load of cash on these two items with the express intention of using Final Cut Pro 3 and/or DV Express as my editing tools I'm going to be left with hardware that doesn't want to talk with one another.

I know Apple have a list of compatible camcorders but this is by no means exhaustive. I also feel slightly "miffed" (maybe unjustified) as Apple sells itself as "The Digital Hub" yet all devices will always support PC protocols but often not Mac protocols. Also, I don't really want to be limited in my Camcorder choice just because of worries that the Imac won't work with it.

Any help, advice and words of reassurance would be most welcome.

Thanks in Advance

Nathan

2. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I do not have direct experience of the two devices, but I do not understand why the Apple Firewire bus should not be compatible with your camera any less than a PC. Apple in fact "invented" Firewire and Apple PC's will take PCI IEEE1394 "Firewire" cards.

Try it, don't give up yet!

3. cleggy

cleggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if this helps but a reviewer of the Panasonic NV GS5 at amazon.co.uk says he has the GS5 working with iMovie, Final Cut & iPhoto on his iBook. Is the GX7 the model up from the GS5? If the lower model works does this mean the next one up will also work?

I'm in a similar situation, about to get my first digital camcorder (probably the GS5) and considering buying an iBook or an iMac but worried about shelling out all the cash for them not be 100% compatible.

4. nathan_hill69

nathan_hill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I understand the GX7 is the next one up from the GS5, therefore one would hope that the if the Amazon guy has the GS5 working okay then I should have no problems.

Cheers for that snippet of info, all I can do now is await delivery of the Imac.

Nathan