Panasonic BWT740:Transferring material to Blu-Ray Disc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paul Cooksley, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi there

I wanted to transfer some Freeview programmes, recorded in SD, to Blu-Ray (presumably I can do this - put SD material onto Blu-Ray)? My reason for doing so, is simply to put a lot of stuff onto one disc....

My question is: Can I do this by adding one title at a time, each week onto the disc, until the disc is full? Or, do I have to transfer all the titles together in one go? I know you have the 'finalise' option, but is this something I could do when the Blu-Ray disc is full?

One final question: Can I transfer these SD recordings to Blu-Ray in their native 'DR mode' or, if wanting to play this SD material (on Blu-Ray) on another non-panasonic machine, would I need to convert? If so, what would be the best conversion rate to use?

Many thanks for any help - really appreciated

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,154
    Yes - you can put SD onto Bluray
    Yes - you can do it one title at a time.

It is not necessary to finalise Bluray's in the way it was for DVD.
    It is only an option so you can lock the disc, if you wish, against editing / deletions etc.

Yes you can transfer DR mode titles and it is most efficient.
    However - if you are looking to play it on other machines, they will need to support the DR mode - and most machines do not.
    Therefore you need to encode such recordings.
    DR mode is so efficiently compressed that re-encoding is likely to increase the filesize for no great benefit. So some degree of experimentation is required.

Choose a compression level in the middle. If you find the results satisfactory ( and you most probably will) try a greater compression. If not to your taste try a higher quality - and so on.

Most have found that the compression artefacts are few and far between and that the degree of compression is not very critical.