Panasonic BW880. Problem with HD channels

flatjack

Novice Member
Hi, I hope someone will be able to give me some direction on an issue that has just arisen with my BW880 which is connected to my Panasonic P42G20 TV. Following a recent Channel List Update on both machines my TV is fine but the HD channels (50,51,52 & 54) are missing from my Guide on the recorder; they are there on the TV. Also, while all the channels on the TV are 10 quality, on the recorder they vary from 1 to 8 quality.

Has the recorder become faulty or has smething just gone out of adjustment?

Cheers, jack.

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi, I hope someone will be able to give me some direction on an issue that has just arisen with my BW880 which is connected to my Panasonic P42G20 TV. Following a recent Channel List Update on both machines my TV is fine but the HD channels (50,51,52 & 54) are missing from my Guide on the recorder; they are there on the TV. Also, while all the channels on the TV are 10 quality, on the recorder they vary from 1 to 8 quality.

Has the recorder become faulty or has smething just gone out of adjustment?

Cheers, jack.

Temporarily disconnect the HDMI lead and connect the unit solely by scart lead.

Then press the channel Up and channel down buttons [ on the main unit] simultaneously to invoke another retune.

If the channels are received normally under this condition then something has gone awry with either the HDMI lead or the screening on the RF leads.... or their positions relative to one another.

The problem arises because RF interference leaks from the HDMI lead back into the RF system via the RF leads or anywhere it can get in... and can knock out some or all channels.

Remedies include a new HDMI lead, replacing RF leads ... or checking existing leads and faceplates are in good condition... and that RF and HDMI leads are kept as far apart as in reasonably practicable.

flatjack

Novice Member
Hi Gavtech, many thanks for your reply; I won't be able to look at it now until pm tomorrow but 2 immediate queries come to mind:
1) When you say connect by scart lead do you mean between the TV and the recorder?
2) What is the main unit - the recorder or the TV?

I guess the questions sound a bit dumb & I think I now know the answer to 2) - it's the actual recorder not the remote - is that right?

jack.

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi Gavtech, many thanks for your reply; I won't be able to look at it now until pm tomorrow but 2 immediate queries come to mind:
1) When you say connect by scart lead do you mean between the TV and the recorder?

Yes. The important part is to get the HDMI disconnected to prove [ or otherwise] that it is the cause of the problem. So you need a scart connected so that you can see the output of the 880 to check that the channels are OK or not.
2) What is the main unit - the recorder or the TV?

I guess the questions sound a bit dumb & I think I now know the answer to 2) - it's the actual recorder not the remote - is that right?

jack.

Yes - I mean the actual 880 unit - It wont work if done on the remote.

It may be worth scanning [ retuning ] with the aerial disconnected first. This clears out all existing channel placeholders.
You then reconnect the aerial and rescan once more...which will give a clean install of the channels.

For one thing - as more and more transmitters are boosting their power with the changeover you could now be receiving from more than one transmitter, so the unit may have tuned to the wrong transmitter which may also account for the poor readings you are getting.
Hopefully a cleaner install would help the unit overcome that problem.

If not then it will be down to checking which transmitter you should be receiving and manually tuning to the correct RF channels.

Once you have tried a scart only connection - then a retune, hopefully it will be clearer where the problem lies - if it remains.

flatjack

Novice Member
Hi Gavtech,
Your advice to disconnect the HDMI cable and retune on the recorder has worked - quality now back to 10 and HD channels have returned. What a relief. I lost all my Favourites in the process but soon put those back in.

Thank you again for your excellent response.

Cheers, jack.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom