Panasonic Buzz

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by InsertNameHere, Jan 30, 2009.

1. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a Panasonic 32LZD81. After setting it up / switching it on I can hear a distracting electrical noise coming from the back of the TV. I can hear a hum and a buzz when I have my ears near the TV. However, on top of that there is a more pronounced buzz, almost like a cricket trapped inside the TV. It's worst when I first turn it on but even after a couple of hours there's still a trace of it. I noticed when cycling through the modes, that it is more severe in 'Cinema' and 'Eco'; 'Dynamic' and 'Normal' aren't as bad. I've already exchanged the TV once but still have the same issue. Does it need to burn in or is there a fault?

Interestly, when listening to Sony and Toshiba sets I can hear a hum / slight buzz when my ears are close to the back but not this intrusive, pulsing 'cricket-like' buzz on top of it.

Any ideas?

2. uncleclives

uncleclives

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +798
    It's the backlights which are humming a bit like a dimmer switch in your living room. Most lcd's suffer from it my LXD85 is the same as yours but I can't really hear the noise under normal viewing.

3. nudgebar

nudgebar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    morning all.
    I have just bought a lz85 yesterday and yep i know where you are coming from with the buzz from the back of the panel! My missus thinks i am crazy but i don't recall hearing it on other lcd's. I'm like ' well this one is going back as well' but according to panasonic it's probably acceptable! Dynamic is the worst setting cos it brightens everything up. What i wanna know is ,is it gonna get worse? Shame really cos the picture is mint and sound is good too. I've already taken a top spec panny back before cos of panel problems so i am reluctant to do the same again. Do i settle for what i've got and accept it even though i don't think the buzz should be there? Who knows?:suicide:

4. Gumpy Joe

Gumpy Joe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's normal. It does it on my LZD80. I can only hear this "buzz" if I mute the sound, and even then, the room has to be silent.

5. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    See the thing is, if it was just the hum / buzz that i can hear when I stand near the back of the TV than I wouldn't be able to notice it during normal conditions. It's just this pulsating buzz that it produces in addition to that which bothers me. As I say, it's most noticeable when I first turn on the TV (i.e. the first 20 minutes) and then it dies down somewhat. If this is likely to get better (after burning in the TV for a good number hours), I hold out some hope. However, if it isn't (or it's likely to get worse), it's going to drive me nuts and I'm going to dread using the thing.

I have to also add, it seems the ability to hear this noise is dependent on age as my parents can't hear it at all. However, bring round some friends of a similar age and they pick up on it immediately...

If I have to exchange it for another brand, what would be a safe choice? I notice that all others don't include Freesat so that's a blow straight away; I'll have to fork out more money for a separate box down the line. However, I was looking at the Sony 32W4000 and Pioneer 32V. But I've heard the Sony isn't great for Freeview and the Pioneer has backlight issues. It's a shame because apart from this noise issue, the Panasonic, as nudgebar says, has a great picture.

6. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK, just an update. It appears that if the room is darkened then the buzzing noise is slightly worse. Maybe it is sensing the ambient lighting conditions and reducing the backlight as it sees fit. Is there any way of disabling this? Would this explain why Eco mode is worse then Normal mode, for example?

7. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just finished playing about a bit more and there is definitely a correlation between the ambient lighting and this buzzing noise. I pulled the curtains to darken the room and set the TV to Eco mode. With the lights switched off, the buzzing was clearly audible. I then used the dimmer switch to up the lighting and the noise became less and less. Looking at the manual it says that Eco 'Adjusts picture settings automatically dependent on ambient lighting conditions'. So that kind of explains that. When the lighting is low, it's lowering the backlight to compensate and causes a buzz. Also the same for Cinema mode: 'For watching movies in a darkened room producing a cinema-like picture'. It assumes you have a darkened room and therefore has a constantly low backlight setting. Whereas Dynamic ('Provides enhanced picture contrast and sharpness when viewing in a bright room') and Normal ('Recommended for viewing under normal ambient room lighting conditions) modes assume light(ish) rooms and with a higher backlight setting doesn't really cause a buzz that's really audible.

Even though the above makes sense, it kind of renders two of the modes useless for certain people...

8. littleharrys

littleharrys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it helps in any way, I can here a distinct buzzing from the top of my TX-32LZD85 but only if I am up close - any further than two feet away I can't hear the buzzing and I'm certainly not in the habit of watching television in any way near that distance !

I too use the Eco setting as I find it (with other adjustments) provides the best picture in our room.

How close do you sit to your screen ?

9. nudgebar

nudgebar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guy's
    I've been reading some of the responses over this 'buzzing business' with the panasonics. As i stated in my reply to the original thread, mine is worse on 'dynamic', ie the brightest setting. Others seem to have the probs on other settings where the backlighting is less. The way i see it is like this; PANASONIC are inconsistent at providing the real deal! Some people are happy but others buying the same model are not. Which? seems to be hanging out of panny's a***, and it's down to them that i've had one and taken it back already and that was from a different retailer! Put it this way, family of mine have got samsungs and their aint no noise from their sets. Ok the picture might not be quite as good but which? really slate them! If the buzzing gets the better of me over the next few days this will be going back too. If u get a good one, you are lucky.Other than that ,don't believe the'hype.'

10. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah, I can hear buzzing from the back of the TV when standing close-by but I can also here this pulsating buzz from 7-8 feet away - the distance I watch TV from. On Normal mode I can just about hear it during quiet scenes but on Eco mode I can hear it over general sound too.

But like I say, the ability to detect it seems to be dependent on age. For example, my parents can't hear the buzz so if they had bought the TV and saw this thread, they would say that there's no buzz coming from my set. It makes me wonder whether all Panasonics are like it but only those under a certain age can hear it. If that's the case no amount of exchanges is going to resolve the problem... Unless someone who can hear what I describe on one model (i.e. the LZD81), can't hear it on another (i.e. LZD85). Then there may be some hope...

11. shakyarms

shakyarms
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is not good news. I purchased a samsung LE37A556P in january and sent it back immediately because of exactly the buzzing you have described from the panasonic LZD81.
    I even got the screen replaced (allegedly) and repaired set is exactly the same.
    My real problem is I am due to exchange the samsung for a panasonic TX-37LZD81 this sunday march 1st, which I am told is a much better set.
    Is this problem inherent in all lcd's, because if it is I dont want one.

Please if someone knows of a tv that doeasnt suffer from this problem let me know before sunday.

Dan

12. shakyarms

shakyarms
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought the panasonic. No buzz unless you stand behind the thing. But thats not the way you watch TV then is it. I think if the samsung didnt suffer from the background hum it would probably be a better TV. It had far more adjustment available on every level and for me a viewer in southern Ireland it was possible to tune in analogue TV without the need to run the signal through a video.

Dan

13. outofyorkshire

outofyorkshire
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, Purchased my TX32LZD80 from Richer Sounds just after xmas 27th Dec to be exact ...after a month the set started buzzing / screaming from rear. A call to Panasonic resulted in me being told that this was 'normal' & after reading this forum I contacted Richer Sounds who sent out a service person who confirmed the noise!!
    Another call later... another engineer to measure the sound with a meter (was 41dB!!)
    Panasonic have now agreed to swap the power supply (they say that is where the problem is!) although they have still not admitted the set was faulty having told the engineer that the sound was 'in tolerance' but are offering the new supply as a good will gesture!!
    I have tried to find out what the acceptable level of noise should be but with no luck!!
    Will keep you informed of progress ...but dont accept a noisy TV would be my advice...its obviously a 'known fault'.
    Having said all that I love the picture quality & TV as a whole...have it connected via HDMI to a Panasonic upscaling PT460 Home cinema system...superp combo

14. dan_07

dan_07
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the same issue with my new Philips Cineos 32PFL9613D 32in LCD TV. If you go right behind the set the noise is very noticable, at normal viewing distance you don't really notice the buzz unless the volume is very low.

15. outofyorkshire

outofyorkshire
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well what do you know ...new power supply fitted to my Tx32LZD80 & now no noise!! I reckon it was a bit of a quality issue that Panasonic had that they just dont want to admit!

16. Lt. Dang

Lt. Dang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Annoying buzzing is not "normal" for LCD TVs.

I have a Sony 40V3000 which I like to use with the backlight suitably lowered.
    It is well over 12 months old now and still does not buzz or hum at all - even when listening to the back when the room is silent.

If you have a TV which makes a noise that spoils your viewing experience then get the retailer to arrange a replacement or a fix.

Don't ever let them fob you off that it is "normal" - it is not.

Regards,

Lt. Dang

17. dannumbernine

dannumbernine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the exact same problem on a recently purchased Panasonic 32LZD81 - for anyone who has had the set running for a while, did the problem subside at all or does it remain the same?

18. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    I have a 37LZD85 and I can hear virtually nothing even with my ear on the bezel. The only sound I can hear is a slight hiss which I found was transmitted from the hard disc in my Sony HDD DVDR on the bottom shelf of the glass stand.

I do remember a post somewhere that said the buzzing was only noticeable when watching freeview!

19. dannumbernine

dannumbernine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The very low hum, only noticeable when ear up to the TV, is fine, it's an intermittent louder hum that is the problem. It is slightly more pronounced on certain picture modes especially 'cinema', but occurs when there is a contrast change from scene to scene in any mode.

Just wondered if it somehow 'burns in' in any way - or should i get it straight back.