panasonic buzz

P

patrickolee

Hi,

I recently bought a panasonic tv 32" LCD TX-32LX70L. I noticed a buzz sound (sounds mains-like) coming from the tv, so I returned to shop with it. We powered it on in the shop and no longer could hear the sound, but the shop was noisy. Anyway they replaced the TV just to be sure (fair juice to them). Got the new TV back and found it has the same buzz coming from it. I tried buying one of these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=46830&doy=15m8

in case the sound was coming from the mains. But it had no effect. I have noticed that the buzz comes even if I plug out everything else and switch the tv onto mute. Its not coming from the speaker, but from the back of the tv (maybe transformer, hard to see). The buzz sound does not start immediately when the tv switches on, but a second or two after when the screen image lights up (even with snow)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

All LCD's emit some noise. How bad is it? Just audible at 1', or noticeable at 8'+?

I can hear it from about 8ft away, in a quiet part of a film. But during normal film noise I can't notice it. My partner does not notice it at all and thinks I'm quietly mad!

It could be backlight buzz/hum too.

Is there anyway I can fix it? Is it common to be that loud? Is there anyone else out there with a similar panasonic problem?

Hi Pat

This instantly took my attention as it is how I found this site.

I have a Humax 23" LCD on the wall in my bedroom.

Every single thing you have said (including the bit about the shop) is my experience too.

Its unlike me but I have learned to live with it as everything else about the set is fine.

However if it was my lounge set I wouldnt put up with it.

If you would like to do a search you will find old threads and even one with a post were someone has taken the back off their TV photographed it and circled were the noise is coming from.

If you pursue the manufacturers the response is usually something like....The noise is "within tolerances" thats if you get a reply.

Regards

Steve

The Panasonic LXD70/700 series all buzz. I have the LXD70 and it does buzz, however like yourself I only notice it late at night with the volume down and there is a quiet bit in the film.

I have found that 'Normal' picture mode is the quietest with Cinema mode being the loudest. I think it is to do with the backlight as it seems to be louder when the screen is black changing channels. There is an update due for the TV this week, I am praying there is an option to adjust backlight, altho I won't hold m breathe! :D

Aex

Did that update come out? Any help for your buzz? Mine is either getting louder, or I'm noticing it more. Either way it's too annoying to watch. I gonna just try and sell the tv and take the loss.

If the buzz is noticeable from normal listening range, then don't sell it for a loss get it fixed or replaced under warranty. My LXD70 does not buzz at all, even when I put my ear to the back of the set. There are loads of LXD70's that do not buzz, so it is not normal!

Well, I went back to shop today to have a chat. They were very nice, said they'd change it again for me. 3rd time lucky :) . They said they're selling a lot of those tvs and haven't any other queries. I'm either v unlucky or mad.

i heard it was sumit to do with the transformers they use,although that could b pie in the sky,but buzzing prob on the pana's is y i opted for the philips instead

The Panasonic LXD70/700 series all buzz. I have the LXD70 and it does buzz, however like yourself I only notice it late at night with the volume down and there is a quiet bit in the film.

Aex

Not actually true. Some LXd70/ 700s buzz others do not. My 700 is a quiet as a mouse, and has no auidble buzzing whatsoever (just lucky I guess). I agree that pretty much all LCD TVs have the potential to buzz due to the components, but my old CRT used to have a slight noise when you put your ear against it. I think a lot of the 70 series buzz, and only a few of the 700's have had a buzzing following the forum threads over the last few months.

got my 700 last week and have it wall mounted in the kitchen, no audible buzzing at all and thats sitting 5 feet away.
still don't think the picture is as good as the plasma we have in the living room though.
Andy

Maybe if the reviewers i.e. What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision et al, made reference to the buzzing in their hardware reviews then maybe the manufacturers will sit up and listen (no pun intended).

got my 700 last week and have it wall mounted in the kitchen, no audible buzzing at all and thats sitting 5 feet away.
still don't think the picture is as good as the plasma we have in the living room though.
Andy

Have you set it up with a Digital Video Essentials disk or similar? You won't get the best out of it unless you do.:)

My Panny 32LDX70 used to be silent but now buzz'es. You cannot hear it over my Humax PVR. But when that is switched off the noise is noticable from normal viewing distance. Not sure whether to change it or not. Although the Wife says she can't hear it / hasn't tried to.

I have had my Pany Lx d700 for 2 months and it has just started to buzz /send out a tone in the last week even on mute, quite loud. I will contact the shop in the next few days. Great set otherwise.

My Sony 40D3000 buzzes a little at night when on....it can only really be heard when the tv is on mute....however sometimes it's silent....I think it may be to do with how long it has been on etc......

I think all LCDs buzz.....I exchanged 2 Panny LXD70's before I moved to the Sony, but I could hear the buzzing over the volume!

My Sony 40S3000 buzzes a little at night when on....it can only really be heard when the tv is on mute....however sometimes it's silent....!

Have you tried sticking your head around the back? :devil:

I have....but I love my tv anyhow......was watching Memoirs of a Geisha on SKY HD last night (gf's choice).....stunning in the dark with the Theatre Mode button pressed!

Recieved my 32LXD70 at the weekend. Was quite worried about the buzz so have been listening out for it but there is no buzzing at all.

Even with my head stuck round the back and my V+ box turned off (now that does buzz) I can't here a sound. :)

got mine today and very pleased. No dead, stuck or hot pixels at all, no back light leakage and I thought for a long while no buzzing. I eventually managed to pick up a VERY quiet buzz with my head stuck up to the back of the TV but cant hear it from the front even with everything else turned off.

Quite a relief after my noisy LXD60 which was returned twice before I ended up with one which was acceptable.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom