Panasonic btt490

Swashy

Standard Member
Reaction score
cently purchased a Panasomic BTT490 and when attempting set up last night hit a few problems which im hoping someone can help me sort

I have the followwing

Panasonic BTT490EBK, Samsung 42" LCD Series 5 TV and Standard Sky Box

Ive connected my BTT490 to TV using HDMI and Opticial Cable and my Sky box to BTT490 via HDMI

All my speakers are working but when im playing cds through the BTT490, the sound is amazing and really loud, i literally only have it on volume setting 10

When i switch over to watching sky, all the speakers still work but the sound quality is alot quieter and doesnt sound as good, can still notice the difference but would expect more, i need it at volume 44 to notice the difference

Have i set something up incorrectly because i would expect it to sound as good as it does when playing CDs

Any help would be appreciated. I look forward to hearing your responses

What model is the "standard Sky box"?
The HD PVR outputs only stereo audio on its HDMI socket and for anything better requires a separate optical connection to the sound system.

It's a sky + box

Any advice how to set it up

The usual method is Sky to TV by HDMI for video, and Sky to Sound System by optical for audio.
An alternative is Sky through SS by HDMI for video, and Sky to SS by optical for audio.

Last edited:
Ok so I need to take the opticial out the tv and put that in the sky box from btt490

Will try that and hope it works

Optical from TV to SS is usually only for the output of the TV's tuner.
If you want to keep that and also have the better Sky audio you could try an optical switch or combiner.

I've run optical cable and usb from sky to blue ray and USB from tv to blue ray and it sounds like only 3 speakers are working. I'm confussed where I've gone wrong now

Help please

Optical from Sky+ to sound system. HDMI from SS to TV. SCART from Sky+ to TV. When watching a BR, TV on Hdmi input, turn TV sound off. Watching Sky, SS on, set to optical (whatever they label it as), TV on Scart input, volume off again.

How did USB, and then Scart, come into this?:confused:
"Optical from Sky+ to sound system. HDMI from SS to TV" (HDMI1) is OK, then Sky by HDMI to TV HDMI2 or SS, then "When watching a BR, TV on Hdmi<1> input....Watching Sky, SS on, set to optical" OK, then TV on HDMI2 or HDMI1.

Last edited:
The OP said it was an SD Sky+ box, so doesn't have HDMI. If he had Sky HD, I'd have said use HDMI for the video feed.

Please have the courtesy to read the thread before making comments. Remember we're all fellow enthusiasts on here and those of us who've been doing this stuff for a while offer (hopefully) helpful advice to those who are new to this stuff.

I didn't make a comment.
I asked a question.
There is a difference.
What OP actually said he has was
Standard Sky Box
but he also said
Sky box to BTT490 via HDMI
so I asked him what model it is and he said it is a "a sky + box", not that "it was an SD Sky+ box".

It was the second quote that prompted my question about how Scart came into it.
There's also "I've run optical cable....from sky" - would an SD Sky+ box have that?

Last edited:
Think I'm confussing people.

I have a sky + box. It has hdmi ports so must be hd

I had wired hdmi 2 on tv to sky arc
Hdmi from br to sky
Optical from br to sky.

Like I said quality from br cds are amazing but I'm not getting the same quality when watching sky

I'm not very technical either and have no idea how to sort it

That can't be HDMI ports, plural;).
Sky machines don't do ARC.
Sound System HDMI Output socket to TV HDMI1 Input socket.
Sky to either TV HDMI2 Input socket, or to Sound System HDMI1 Input socket.
Sky Optical Out socket to Sound System Optical In socket.
When watching either Sky or BR turn off TV's internal speakers.
To watch BR select on TV Input HDMI1 and select on Sound System Videos then Disc.
To watch Sky select on TV either Input HDM2 or Input HDMI1.
For Sky audio select on Sound System Ext In then Digital In.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply

Seems alot simpler listed like that so I'll try out tonight. Fingers crossed

All working. Am I right in thinking only certain adverts or programs come through all 5 speakers and some only 3. That's what seems to be happening

Good - which route did you use for Sky video - into TV or into sound system?

Only HD channels carry better than stereo, and to what extent they're better depends on the channel and the content so you could be getting anything, at different times, from stereo to 5:1.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom