1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic brightness

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Orlando, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have recently purchased the Panasonic 37" PE30, and I am very happy with the picture quality overall.
    However I still have my Philips 32" CRT standing next to it, and have turned them both on to compare. As I have said the picture quality is great, sharp, no motion blur or noise etc, but what is very apparent is how much duller the Panasonics picture is.
    I am currently running the set in and at present I have the contrast and brightness to about half way. I did however turn the brightness and contrast up momentarily just to see if it is possible to replicate the Philips, but it is not possible.
    Once run in what sort of level do other owners run their picture settings at.
    I am surprised that this hasn't been mentioned before as even when comparing plasma against plasma in stores the Pannys seem duller next to the Hitachis and Sonys etc.
    Opinions anyone.

2. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Get yourself a Digital Video Essentials calibration DVD. It's a very imformative and useful for setting up the screen. I have a PW6 and I don't know how it differs to yours but turned up or set to "Dynamic" the picture is very bright, far too bright in fact. After getting my DVE disc my settings are all in the minus and I'm confident I'm now getting cinema quality picture and am confident I'm getting the best from the screen, I also hooked up my DVD to the scart and set that input up while I was at it, surprised me how completely different it was set to my component input.

Anyway my point is, it's no good trying to compare your Plasma to your CRT if your CRT is poorly set up. You're best getting a calibration disc and doing it properly...

3. osmyth

osmyth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would try the dynamic viewing mode, with contrast and brightness around 75/80%.
    Owen.

4. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    i agree put it on to dynamic mode that is the setting that mine is on as well :cool:

5. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks very much I quickly tested this against my CRT and it now not only matches it, but is simply in a different league.
    Very happy. Cheers.

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    That's quite high, on a run-in set let alone a new one. I would suggest bear it and at least run-in your set for 200 hours and then go about boosting your contrast and brightness levels this high.

7. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    my contrast /brightness etc is set on 50%(aprox) in dynamic and the tv still seems realy bright and crisp :cool:

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Dynamic burns the phosphur at 3-4 times normal rate so suggest you dont you use it!

9. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    wasnt aware of that will go and change it

why dont they put these things in the user book?

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    to much info to the consumer is bad for business!

11. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Where did you get this gem from? :)

Comparing the settings between say Normal and Dynamic, apart from the contrast is set to max (30), Vs 25, and a bit more colour and brightness, and the Gamma is S Curve Vs. 2.2. (going from memory)

The different Gamma settings make a big difference, but 3~4 times "normal" burn rate?

Whats "normal"?

Personally after I've run my screen in I'll pick one of the settings and tweek it to whatever I like (for each input), which will probably be -10 for colour, +10 contrast & brightness or maybe more.

Bit pointless spending loads on a screen with a terrific contrast ratio and brightness level and then not using it, no?

Here's a question for people; I can watch my Arcam DV88+ three ways. Its connected via SCART (RGB), also via S Video (through AV32R processor), also through YUV component (progressive or interlaced depending on what I choose in the DVD players menu)

Now, why is the S Video signal about twice as bright as anything else? The SCART and component signals are decidedly "dim" and not very vibrant at all. Rather dissapointing really.

(obviously when I turn the component output to YUV the SCART RGB output goes all green, the player can't output RGB and YUV at the same time. I'm not actually sure if the manual tells you not to connect to the SCART socket AND the component outputs at the same time, maybe thats it?)

Richard

12. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Does anyone else use the cinema setting or is it jst me that finds it good? (i.e. blacks are black and is not too colourful and over empasized)

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I use Cinema most of the time but also have set up for Normal mode to use in the day when cinema is just a little too moody for bargain hunt.

Fraggle - not sure if you realised but when you switch from say Cinema to Dynamic you are not just sliding contrast/brightness/colour/sharpness etc over to a new bunch of presets, you are actually changing the variables of the underlying algorithm too. So if every slider was set to 0 in Cinema, and the same for Dynamic the two pictures would actually be very different. IIRC dynamic will boost contrast and brightness to run at over the top levels to make an image brighter and push through lots of shadow detail. This is an unrealistic representation for real life video etc since it leaves blacks more grey and colours slightly out but is is useful for commercial applications or if your plasma is being battered by sunlight during the day!

14. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Well one of the things I tried is exactly what you've just described.

Setting the contrast, brightness, colour, sharpness to the same levels does produce a different picture, but turning on advanced options and setting them to the same results in a picture that to my untrained eye is the same. I notice that the only difference in the advanced options is the Gamma level.

I agree that using different algorithms for the different settings would be a good thing to do, and easy in something like a plasma where the screen is driven by software, but if they do do this I wish they'd let us choose from them. Hmm, sort of rather than have what they have, instead have 4 user presets, and in each preset we could choose the algorithm.

I haven't bothered calibrating using Avia yet since I'm still keeping things low during the first 200 hours. I'll have a good play once thats up :)

Does anyone know if its possible to set the default screen mode when turning the set on? And is it selectable for each input? I notice it goes back to 16:9 when the sets turned off & on again, annoying for normal TV which I always watch in Just mode.

15. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Not sure about the widescreen thing short of buying a aspect ratio controller! You can set the plasma to Panasonic Auto aspect and in the SETUP menu under PANASONIC AUTO (4:3) select just so that when ever the plasma senses a 4:3 signal it will use just mode.

re.e picture settings - in essence 4 memory banks. Select all the options as before then hit save to memory bank X. Then select whichever memory bank settings you require. Not tricky I guess, quite a few projectors do this. Maybe Pana technical will read this thread and take it on board!!! However, the only time you would want to use 4 presets would be if you were running four different inputs into the one socket (hence one preset per source). This is common when using a scart switcher or a AV amp for switching, but it's better to ensure DVD is on a separate input on the panel to Sky/Freeview/Cable for exactly this reason. This way DVD has a Normal calibration for day viewing and a Cinema calibration for proper viewing, then Sky has the same (albeit shared settings with the VCR/DVDr/PS2 etc).

16. Seanjackdan

Seanjackdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been playing around with the various picture settings (mainly "normal" and "dynamic") on my PE30 and didn't realise that the changes I have made are permanent !!!

Is it possible to set these back to their default positions, as I can't remember exactly how these predefined settings were set exactly , and now I'm concerned I have got the incorrect settings !!!

17. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    On the PW6 when you enter the menus the "normalise" button is highlighted, pressing that sets all the settings just for that mode (i.e. Auto/Dynamic/Cinema, etc) back to factory standard.

Doesn't the PE30 have the same normalise button?

18. Seanjackdan

Seanjackdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply - but no it doesn't as far as I am aware... and I have been through the set-up menu loads of times ( AND read the manual ) !!!!!!!

19. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The PE30 does have a normalise button. It's the 'N' button on the remote control.

20. Seanjackdan

Seanjackdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does that not just set the sound settings back to the defaults, didn't realise it does the picture settings as well !!!!!!!!

Cheers...........

21. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No it does the sound and picture. i.e if you press the 'N' button whilst you are on the normal picture setting. It will set the picture and sound back to factory setting. The cinema, auto and dynamic settings will be left alone, unless you press the 'N' button while you are on that setting.
    I hope that is clear.
    Also if you get the volume to how you want it and then press the STR button on the front of the screen, it will set the default volume to that volume. So every time you press the 'N' button on the remote the volume will go to the level you have preset.