Panasonic BR & HDD recorders.

Sorry Dave - the splitter will not convert your files to AVCHD. It will (hopefully) allow you to bypass the cameras “block” on outputting HDMI to a recording device. This means you can use the Mypin to record them from HDMI, but these will (as you know) be in MP4 format.

To get the Panny to burn them to disc (after importing them to it’s HDD) they need to be in the AVCHD format first. The only way to do that is to pass the MP4 files created by the Mypin through a software converter and transcode them to AVCHD (I think).

If you have a computer, there are plenty of free solutions to convert MP4 to AVCHD available online
Hi again John,

When you say "If you have a computer", will my Windows 10 laptop have the power to run this software to do the job of converting my MP4 files to AVCHD, or would it require a desktop do you think?

Sorry about my silly mix-up earlier John, I do get in a muddle at times, but actually I do understand the required sequence of processes you explained to me, it was just a temporary stress induced aberration, lol.

Dave.

Hi Dave

Yes, I would think that a Win10 laptop would be capable of doing the conversion. I don't think it's a very processor intensive task. Good luck!

I just downloaded a free mp4 to AVCHD convertor and ran a 49 minute 1.1Gb mp4 file through. It took about 25 minutes on my Ryzen 2700X desktop PC and resulted in an AVCHD file about 4 x larger!

I just downloaded a free mp4 to AVCHD convertor and ran a 49 minute 1.1Gb mp4 file through. It took about 25 minutes on my Ryzen 2700X desktop PC and resulted in an AVCHD file about 4 x larger!
If it worked for you, could you tell me which one, and from where please mate. At least then if it doesn't work when I use it, I will know it's me, not the software....or my laptop.

The Splitter turned up today John, so another step forward on my journey mate. Getting nervous, I left my comfort zone WAY behind, it's lost in the dust plume now.

Last edited:
this one

this one

Hi John,

My laptop wouldn't let me download this Site, it keeps saying 'Not Secure' / 'Your connection to this site is not secure' / 'Don't enter any sensitive information on this site, passwords for instance, as it may be stolen by attackers'.

Every time I clicked on it, it instantly transferred me to a video editing software site, which kept flashing 'download now'.

Eventually, it did seem to download it, because the 'OPEN' box popped up, but now it wont let me open it, and the 'Danger' sign keeps appearing again!

Worrying?

Just checked in downloads, and it isn't there, so don't know why the OPEN thing popped up. As I do internet banking, not sure what to do.

Last edited:
Don't know what to say? I downloaded it with no issue? I ran a virus checker and it was clean?

Installed with no issues. No passwords or any details needed, just downloaded and ran the installer.

Try it from here.....

Last edited:
Don't know what to say? I downloaded it with no issue? I ran a virus checker and it was clean?

Installed with no issues. No passwords or any details needed, just downloaded and ran the installer.

Try it from here.....

Well done again John, that one worked. It required me to download Microsoft.Net Framework 3.5,
whatever the hell that is.

I then went into installed programmes, and discovered that at the same time, I had also installed 'K-Lite Codec Pack 7.2.0 (basic)' (I think that was part of what the converter needed to work), 'ffdshow DXVA video decoder' (no idea what that is), and weirdly 'Microsoft Edge', which is very odd as that is the browser I was using to download the converter!!! I have no idea how that all happened. Senior moment?

Anyway, I have opened it up and looked at it, and its saying things like 'Add files, Add folder, Duration, Size., all of which means I have some learning to do, because I just downloaded them as they were, in chapter form, gathered together in groups using the yellow and blue buttons on the Panny, and identified them by date.

I didn't add titles, tried not to complicate things more than they already were. Not even sure of the basics, the difference between files and folders, beyond, guessing that the files are kept in folders, and absolutely no idea what duration or size they are. My hair wasn't as grey as it is now before I started all this, I swear, lol.

Run the program
add a single file (or add folder if you want to process a bunch of files in a folder0
Select a destination folder (option given to create one if needed) and then hit ”process” or whatever the run/start option is (I can’t remember)

it will then convert the single file (or the files in the folder) and output to the selected location specified as the output folder. You will then have a bunch of AVCHD files ready to be copied to an sd card and loaded into the Panny for assembling/burning to disk (hopefully)

Last edited:
Sorted! I have offspring and grandchildren coming to drag us out for dog walking today, and lord knows what else, so I will report back when allowed.

Was that A sigh of relief I heard, lol.

Thanks John.

Oh dear, what a pest, blow me down (Had to delete what I really said). My laptop has been on the blink since Saturday afternoon, so haven't been able to do a damned thing, only just got it back an hour ago, frustrated to hell. But, got it now, so will try to carry on where I left off in putting John7's master plan into action !!!

Sorry Dave, you're right. I guess Sony have implemented a copy protect function to the HDMI output so it will only work if it sees a playback device. If it detects a recording device, it blocks the output.

There is a way around this, using an HDMI splitter that strips the HDCP copy protection but that is another bit of kit to buy and may need a bit of research to find one that actually works.

If you have all the proprietary cables, for AV and component, you could use one of these.....

Amazon product ASIN B07ZHFR2V3
You would need the component lead from your camera AS WELL AS the R/L audio from you camera's AV lead - the camera should output all these simultaneously.

If you want to try an HDMI splitter, you could try this one

Amazon product ASIN B08B1B371D
which I know works for my particular situation ;) I cannot however guarantee that it will work with your kit.

It will prevent the Sony from "seeing" a recording device so should allow output. You will still need the A type adapter for the camera's miniature connection and 2 x standard HDMI cables. One for the camera to the splitter and one from the splitter to the MyPin recorder.
Hi John, sadly the splitter idea didn't work mate. I tried connecting the splitter to the HDR-HC3 camera, using HDMI leads, then HDMI lead from that to the Mypin, as you said. Then witched it all on, set the camera to play, and mypin to record. The mypin screen remained blank, then informed me that there was no signal.

I went back to the splitter instructions, which said that the red led would light up once the power was connected (which it did), and the green led's next to the HDMI in/out sockets would do so as well, once the HDMI leads were 'connected properly'?. So, suspecting the HDMI leads may be inadequate (quite old) I tried 3 more, still nothing.

In the splitters trouble shooting area, it said that if you plug the camera in to an appropriate TV via HDMI, and the picture displayed correctly (which it did with all 4) then that proves that the lead is not the issue. What a PITA. I had high hopes for that idea John, because it sounded so logical, but my luck ran true to form mate.

So, I must revert back to plan 'A', RCA to HDMI converter box fed into the mypin, then through the software in my laptop to convert the MP4 into AVCHD, then into the big new Panny, then finally to DVD. If that doesn't work, I shall possibly take the vows and become a monk......

I assume that if I take the mini SD card from the mypin, and pop it in its adapter, then into the reader in my laptop, I can feed the MP4 in to the software that way? If so, could I either download the result of the conversion into an SD card , and stick that into the Panny, or USB out of my laptop into the Panny that way? The SD card would be favourite I think, because you seem to have to 'register' (whatever that means) another USB device before the Panny will accept it.

Lastly, I assume when the info on the RCA to HDMI converter says 'mini' RCA to HDMI, my cameras AV out RCA jacks will fit that? Or are there actually 2 sizes of RCA pins?

Sorry for the novel length post again John, there is just SOOO much I don't understand, sad old fart.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave, really sorry you're having so much difficulty with this! I can't understand why the HDMI splitter didn't work for you?

Can you just try something for me?

Connect the camera to the input of the HDMI splitter
Connect the Mypin to one of the HDMI outputs
Connect your TV to the other HDMI output

Power up the Splitter, the camera the TV and the Mypin in order.
Start the camera playback - does a picture show on the TV?

If not, leave everything running - remove power from the splitter for a few seconds, then re-power it.

Try to record something on the Mypin (!).

If that does not work then revert to Plan B and my apologies for giving you false hope that the splitter would solve the issue!

Plan B would be to use the COMPONENT to HDMI convertor (or similar) that I posted (post #142), this will give superior quality than using a "Composite" convertor.

You would need 5 x connections to your camera, 3 x component using the camera component lead and 2 x Audio (L/R) connections using the camera A/V lead.

You should then get HDMI output from the convertor that can be recorded using the Mypin

Once you have captured the video file(s) to the Mypin in MP4 format, transfer the memory card to the computer and copy the files to the HDD. Run the MP4 to AVCHD conversion software and save the files to a folder on your PC. When all done, copy the files to an SD card compatible with the BR recorder and import them to it's hard drive. Repeat until you have all the files you need.

Assemble the files in the order you want and burn to a disk.

Let me know how you get on and good luck!

Hi Dave, really sorry you're having so much difficulty with this! I can't understand why the HDMI splitter didn't work for you?

If not, leave everything running - remove power from the splitter for a few seconds, then re-power it.

If that does not work then revert to Plan B and my apologies for giving you false hope that the splitter would solve the issue!

Plan B would be to use the COMPONENT to HDMI convertor (or similar) that I posted (post #142), this will give superior quality than using a "Composite" convertor.

You would need 5 x connections to your camera, 3 x component using the camera component lead and 2 x Audio (L/R) connections using the camera A/V lead.

You should then get HDMI output from the convertor that can be recorded using the Mypin

Once you have captured the video file(s) to the Mypin in MP4 format, transfer the memory card to the computer and copy the files to the HDD. Run the MP4 to AVCHD conversion software and save the files to a folder on your PC. When all done, copy the files to an SD card compatible with the BR recorder and import them to it's hard drive. Repeat until you have all the files you need.

Hi John,

Whatever the outcome mate, there is no need to apologise. It is quite possible that I have done something wrong, but either way, it certainly isn't your fault. I wouldn't have got as far as I have without you guys, and what you had suggested made total sense, so lord knows why it didn't work. You have put in a lot of time trying to help me John, so I am deeply grateful.

I will try what you have now suggested, and whether it's plan A or B or C, I am sure we will get there in the end. I will let you know for sure.

Thanks mate, Dave.

Jo

John, you are a genius! Everything worked perfectly, all the lights lit up (looked like a ruddy Christmas tree), then when I set the camera rolling, the picture started playing on the TV, and when I set the Mypin to record, that worked too!!! So, I guess it was something I did wrong, probably fired the the units up in the wrong order or whatever. I don't know how I would have done that, because I read the instructions for the splitter, and I sure as hell thought I got it right, but then, we are talking ME here, so for sure it would seem I did something wrong.

Sorry I took so long testing your advice mate, but getting my share of 'TV time' with my rather demanding missus is a bit tricky. That, and the kids coming round yesterday, and them deciding to stay the rest of the day, kind of cramped my style, lol. They are back tomorrow too, daughter, granddaughter and her boyfriend, and we are required to do them a Sunday roast (Missus peeling, me cooking), so another day gone, sob.

Monday however, I WILL get some recording done, and later I will start on the rather daunting (for me) task of running the files through the software in my laptop, and changing the MP4 to AVCHD. I will be honest, that frightens me, which no doubt seems absurd to you, but in light of the latest fiasco, perhaps you begin to see why that is so.

Sorry for putting you through all this John, you have the patience of Job mate, and I think/hope/pray that I can be done sooner rather than later, and will get out of your hair while you still have some left! Cheers John, I cannot thank you enough.

Hi John7,

Sadly, just when you thought you hopefully had seen the last of me, I am back. Sorry mate. I now have to astonish you even more with the depth of my ignorance of all things technical.

So far, I have successfully loaded the contents of two 1 hour MiniDV tapes onto an SD card, using the splitter/Mypin combo. These were from a four tape holiday, which I chose to do in two halves in the hope that two 1 hour tapes MAY fit onto a DVD once converted (I now strongly believe that this will not be the case!).

Whatever, now for the stumbling block. When I started the process with the converter software on my laptop, it required me to choose a destination for the converted data. It had a box which said 'Save Target Files in Source Folder', which made no sense to me, then another option which read 'Customise', with a box containing this....C :\User\David\Desktop. So, in my ignorance I thought this was a way to chose a name for the folder, so clicked 'Customise' . All that did was add the word 'New' on to that other load of gobbledegook, lol.

Anyway, I just cannot understand how I transfer the 5 files in that folder into the SD card I have put into my laptop for that. I can find them, just click on Desktop, then on NEW, and there they are, but how do I transfer them onto that SD card? I have tried, but failed miserably.

Just as an aside, it took about six and a half hours for the software to convert the initial MP4 files to AVCHD! So, the original recording from the Camcorder to the SD card is in real time, then the conversion to AVCHD, then burning that to DVD.....this is a job for life, lol. I sure as hell hope I can convince my old lass to choose a limited number of holidays, or I may not live long enough to finish the job, absolutely hilarious. But, I am learning as I go, and it will make the old love VERY happy, so if I finally manage to get it right, I honestly won't mind one bit.

EDIT.

In my ongoing efforts to find a way of doing this, I right clicked here and there and eventually got a dropdown list, sort of 'things to do', which included sending the files to the onboard DVD burner in my laptop (but not to the SD card, typical of my luck).

So, I thought, just out of interest, give it a wiz. when I clicked go, it said it was recording the five files, but in fact it wasn't, progress remained at zero %. What was informative though was the fact that the five files (half of one holiday) now was 19GB !!!!. Obviously then, the onboard burner was clever enough to realise it couldn't be done, but not clever enough to tell me why nothing was happening! However, the important fact now is that this half of one holiday will require 5 standard 4.7 GB DVD discs to contain it. For sure it was an unusually long holiday vid (Australia), but it would be an issue if the holiday would require the old lass to put jump up and down putting10 disks into a player, lol. Possible, but just exploring options.

A rethink perhaps? If I put the SD card straight into my laptop from the Mypin, with the files still in MP4 (so missing out the AVCHD conversion) and burned it to disc there...would it be naff compared to the same files converted to AVCHD and burned to disc on the Panny?

Is it even possible to do that, or do the files require some other form of outside processing before my laptop will accept them?

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom