Panasonic BR & HDD recorders.

Hi guys, from the sudden cessation of replies, I guess I have crossed a line somewhere, I have no idea what, but I apologise profusely and genuinely for whatever it was. I am aware that I am a boring and overly wordy old fart, I just don't know how else to express my thoughts fully. Sad, but true.

However, I truly would appreciate more help with my problems. I realise you have helped a lot already, but I am genuinely at a loss as to what to do next. I know that dealing with a total technophobe must be painfully frustrating for guys at your level of expertise, but I would be forever in your debt if you could help me through this rather pathetic 'Tech blindness'.

Hi Numptydumpty,

Have you got it connected to (or are intending to connect it to) either a terrestrial aerial and/or a LAN connection (i.e. an ethernet cable back to your broadband router)?

I don't have a DMR-BWT850 but have the earlier DMR-BWT735 and, if I recall correctly, the "quick set up" etc were mainly concerned with tuning to the Freeview channels and establishing a wired or wireless connection to my router. You might not need to do this if you're just intending to use it to copy your camcorder footage. You might need to set basic functions like the clock though before the machine will let you use it.

BTW, you cannot connect the DMR-BWT850 to a satellite dish. It does not have a satellite tuner in it, just a terrestrial Freeview one.

As k-spin mentioned, the main purpose of this recorder is recording FreeviewHD using its own tuners. Using either the SD card slot, or the USB inputs can add various other things. No satellite functionality so no effect on any other operations.I cant remember if it actually needs connected to an aerial or a network to transfer recordings from camcorders or SD cards to the HDD or not,dont see why it would. Use the supplied lead with your Panasonic camcorder to one of the USB inputs then follow any on screen directions. Might be possible with your Sony camcorder as well.

DONT under any circumstances allow your camcorders or the 850 to delete anything unless and until your certain, once its gone its gone.

Any lack of replies is possibly thinking of avoiding making things more difficult for you, thats all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Numptydumpty,

Have you got it connected to (or are intending to connect it to) either a terrestrial aerial and/or a LAN connection (i.e. an ethernet cable back to your broadband router)?

I don't have a DMR-BWT850 but have the earlier DMR-BWT735 and, if I recall correctly, the "quick set up" etc were mainly concerned with tuning to the Freeview channels and establishing a wired or wireless connection to my router. You might not need to do this if you're just intending to use it to copy your camcorder footage. You might need to set basic functions like the clock though before the machine will let you use it.

BTW, you cannot connect the DMR-BWT850 to a satellite dish. It does not have a satellite tuner in it, just a terrestrial Freeview one.

Hi k-spin,

Thanks so very much for your reply chap, good of you. Dealing with your last point first, I discovered the truth of that this morning. When I first started reading about these sets, I read the word 'Freeview', but my mind turned it into 'Freesat'. Rightly or wrongly, I see Freeview as very old hat, so didn't give it a second thought.

I didn't discover the stupidity of that mistake until I had a brilliant brainwave this morning (that alone should have warned me that this would NOT end well 🤣). I thought, "why don't I just pull the cable out of the sky box, then plug it into the Panasonic set, whenever I want to use that?" Sorted!

Of course, the second I pulled the two boxes forward to try it out, and looked at the back connections, the truth dawned on me....I could have cried :laugh:

Anyway, to go to your first point, I do intend to connect the Pany to an aerial, even though that will now cost me several hundred pounds more....because I no longer have a terrestrial aerial :rolleyes:. Also, the LAN connection would have been a doddle if I was still with Virgin, because their router was right by the TV table, which also houses all the boxes. Now that I am with Sky, it's in another room, where the landline phone enters the house :facepalm:. I may be able to link it wirelessly, but haven't tried that yet.

As you say, It might not be essential to do all the 'Quick set up' and other stuff, for the reason you mentioned. Certainly, when I skimmed through the instructions on line, I assumed I would not need to. However, now I have the thing, I discovered that every time you try to do something without those connections, it pops a box up with 'No signal, check your aerial connections', and stuff like that. I got so overwrought and in a panic with that, and the fact that you need a 98 page instruction manual, full of stuff I simply do not understand, just to set the thing up and use it, I nearly gave up and binned it :(.

I have cooled down now, and you two guys responding to my cry for help has given me the heart to keep trying. You will never understand what it's like being locked in a state of almost total inability to deal with/make sense of technology, but you were kind hearted enough to help again anyway, so I thank you both with all my heart.

j

As k-spin mentioned,the main purpose of this recorder is recording FreeviewHD using its own tuners.Using either the SD card slot,or the USB inputs can add various other things.No satellite functionality so no effect on any other operations.I cant remember if it actually needs connected to an aerial or a network to transfer recordings from camcorders or SD cards to the HDD or not,dont see why it would.Use the supplied lead with your Panasonic camcorder to one of the USB inputs then follow any on screen directions.Might be possible with your Sony camcorder as well.DONT under any circumstances allow your camcorders or the 850 to delete anything unless and until your certain,once its gone its gone.Any lack of replies is possibly thinking of avoiding making things more difficult for you,thats all.

Thanks volvofan,

I really do appreciate, and take in all your thoughts. I was in a blind panic when I typed that post, so forgive me if it was perceived to be offensive, it was certainly not intended to be, not in any way, shape or form.

As I said in my reply to k-spin, my world of virtual technophobia is a very strange place to live in. Tech and tech talk is for me almost impossible to understand--it may as well be in a foreign language for all the sense it makes to me. The stress and panic builds up as you skim through things filled with tech terms and acronyms, which to be honest, are things that you need to be well versed in to have any chance of understanding anyway. So, without overdramatising things, I have a kind of 'shell shock' panic, and get into a monumental strop, followed by deep depression....silly old sod :rolleyes:

I will do/try all the things you suggest, but I have my doubts about the Sony cam. In one of my previous posts, I was kind of asking if video formats ever get re-named? The format the Sony seems to record in, according to the instruction leaflet, is either (depending where you look).....DV, HDV, HD1080i, Full HD, and probably a couple more. None of these terms are mentioned in the 'recordable formats' listing, so either they are obsolete and cannot be recorded by this box, or (fingers crossed) they have been re-named and are covered by one of the formats on the list.

If not, I will have to look back, and try to do something else that has been mentioned in previous posts.

Thank you so much for your helpful reply, I sincerely do appreciate it a great deal.

Hi guys,

Have the Sony format/s I listed (are those acronyms recognised formats for a start?) ones that have been re-named, or am I being over optimistic here, and should just give up with them? It would be a shame if so, because the vids from that camera form the bulk of the ones my wife desperately wants on discs.

I would be astonished if this 'Modern miracle of technology' cant even transfer them onto SD DVD?

I think you may have wasted your money on the Panasonic BR Recorder. I really don't think you are going to be able to connect your Camera to it and do what you want. You will encounter hardware compatibility issues and file format incompatibility.

The only way you are going to be able to copy those videos will be to use a PC (with appropriate capture hardware) to either capture the videos or use an external capture device and transfer to a PC for editing/burning to disk.

Another option will be to send the video tape(s) off to a commercial copying service.

Hi guys,

Have the Sony format/s I listed (are those acronyms recognised formats for a start?) ones that have been re-named, or am I being over optimistic here, and should just give up with them? It would be a shame if so, because the vids from that camera form the bulk of the ones my wife desperately wants on discs.

I would be astonished if this 'Modern miracle of technology' cant even transfer them onto SD DVD?
The only option of connecting your Sony HDR-HC3 camera is via an analogue connection using S-Video scart lead adaptor including twin phono lead for audio to the scart input of the '735.

Material will be recorded in SD quality only.
Original recording formats are irrelevant to the process.

(Edit - Now known to be not applicable - See below)

Last edited:
The OP has the DMR-BWT850 which only has USB and SD card inputs.......

I really don't think you are going to be able to connect your Camera to it and do what you want. You will encounter hardware compatibility issues and file format incompatibility.

I don't believe this to be correct.

The camera can be linked direct to the recorder and HD material can be copied across in AVCHD format - or the material can be transferred via SD card.

Last edited:
The OP has the DMR-BWT850 which only has USB and SD card inputs.......
I thought it was an 850 too but checking back he says it is a '735 (which has a scart)

I don't believe this to be correct.

The camera can be linked direct to the recorder and HD material can be copied across in AVCHD format - or the material can be transferred via SD card.

Hmmm I'm not sure the Sony cam will be compatible with the Panny? I'm also not sure that the files saved by the Sony Cam will be compatible with the picky-Panny file format?

The HDMI recorder I suggested earlier may work. He can record all his videos from HDMI (in real time) using this to MP4 format onto an SD card. Then transfer/copy that to the Panny for burning to disk. All he needs for the SD cameras is an SD to HDMI convertor to repeat the process to copy the files to SD card for transfer to the Panny.

Amazon product ASIN B082MFZDBQ
Amazon product ASIN B082XY8C3Y

Hmmm I'm not sure the Sony cam will be compatible with the Panny? I'm also not sure that the files saved by the Sony Cam will be compatible with the picky-Panny file format?
Maybe @numptydumpty could clarify exactly which model DVDR he has for certainty, as the possible solutions are different depending on which machine.

The Sony Cam file types would not matter if the transfer is coming across an analogue connection.

The DVDR would encode to the file types required to suit itself.
Quality is compromised of course - but just getting the job done seems more important in this particular case, rather than prime quality considerations.

Your suggested alternatives are indeed useful, and an option to consider.

I think you may have wasted your money on the Panasonic BR Recorder. I really don't think you are going to be able to connect your Camera to it and do what you want. You will encounter hardware compatibility issues and file format incompatibility.

The only way you are going to be able to copy those videos will be to use a PC (with appropriate capture hardware) to either capture the videos or use an external capture device and transfer to a PC for editing/burning to disk.

Another option will be to send the video tape(s) off to a commercial copying service.

High John7,

Thanks very much for your reply. I know exactly what you are saying, I am a crazy old coot at times, impulse buying like a child. I asked the shop (Hughes) via their 'Talk to our expert live' link, and he thought it would work....although he had to bring the manual up on his screen to find out , so not THAT expert :facepalm:), and the second he said that, I got excited and bought it :(.

No matter, it will record the newer camera's AVCHD footage , so I hope I can put that onto blu-ray disc, and it does seem to enhance the picture quality of SD DVD playback (that's as far as I could get in the setting up process without a getting a terrestrial aerial), so all is not lost...just very disappointing :(

The odd thing about the old Sony cam is that it has an HDMI out, although that wont cure the issue of format incompatibility I guess.

What would be the simplest capture hardware that works but doesn't cost the earth, and once you have transferred it to a PC, is there no way to transform it on that into a format that the Pany will accept?

Best regards, Dave.

Last edited:
The device I linked to earlier will allow real-time recording of an HDMI device to an SD card in MP4 format. You can then plug that in to the BR recorder, copy the video files to it's hard drive. Then you can assemble the files (with basic editing I believe) then burn to a BR disk.

You would carry out the same procedure for for a non-HDMI equipped (Standard Definition) camera by getting a Composite to HDMI convertor (also linked above) to enable you to use the HDMI recorder to copy the files to an SD card (in real-time). Once done, transfer the SD card to the BR recorder and copy/edit/burn the files as before. If your Standard Definition camcorder has Component or S-Video output (both of which are higher quality than Composite) you would need a different HDMI convertor to feed the signal to the HDMI recorder if you want the best quality.

This one does S-Video and Composite to HDMI conversion

Amazon product ASIN B00V2ULHBS
This one does Component to HDMI conversion

Amazon product ASIN B0088HO1UC

Maybe @numptydumpty could clarify exactly which model DVDR he has for certainty, as the possible solutions are different depending on which machine.

The Sony Cam file types would not matter if the transfer is coming across an analogue connection.

The DVDR would encode to the file types required to suit itself.
Quality is compromised of course - but just getting the job done seems more important in this particular case, rather than prime quality considerations.

Your suggested alternatives are indeed useful, and an option to consider.

Hi Gavtech, the recorder I bought is indeed a brand new DMR-BWT850, which sadly, as you know, does not have scart connections, and in fact not many connections full stop! It does have a USB in (although in one part of the manual it refers to that as USB memory, and shows a memory stick next to it? It also has a card slot in.

I would have preferred an older model myself, for connectivity, AND price, but bought the 850 for two reasons (1) the wife was giving me severe grief about buying second hand, because she has paranoia about not being able to take things back if they are duff, and (2) when I gave in and took a look at the 850, I made enquiries with the seller, and was informed that it 'Should' do what I wanted....so like a tart, I bought it :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
The device I linked to earlier will allow real-time recording of an HDMI device to an SD card in MP4 format. You can then plug that in to the BR recorder, copy the video files to it's hard drive. Then you can assemble the files (with basic editing I believe) then burn to a BR disk.

You would carry out the same procedure for for a non-HDMI equipped (Standard Definition) camera by getting a Composite to HDMI convertor (also linked above) to enable you to use the HDMI recorder to copy the files to an SD card (in real-time). Once done, transfer the SD card to the BR recorder and copy/edit/burn the files as before. If your Standard Definition camcorder has Component or S-Video output (both of which are higher quality than Composite) you would need a different HDMI convertor to feed the signal to the HDMI recorder if you want the best quality.

This one does S-Video and Composite to HDMI conversion

Amazon product ASIN B00V2ULHBS
This one does Component to HDMI conversion

Amazon product ASIN B0088HO1UC

Hi John7, thanks for your reply,

My old Sony camcorder is an HDR-HC3, which records in what it describes as HDV1080i format, and in fact, despite it's age, it does have an HDMI out socket! It also has an A/V out, component out and USB out.

How does that lot affect things?

Well, try the USB connection to the BR Recorder first.

If that doesn't work, the HDMI (Mypin) recorder I referenced will allow you to record the HDMI output of the camera directly onto an SD card in the correct format (1080P) which you can then move over to the BR Recorder to copy/edit/burn to BR Disk.

Be aware that the recording process will be in real time, i.e., you connect your camera HDMI to the HDMI input of the Mypin recorder, press play on the camera and record on the Mypin recorder. Depending on the size of your SD card and length of your video, you may have to repeat this several times, copying in chunks of camcorder footage across to the BR recorder's hard drive before assembling the final video.

What other Cameras do you have and what output connections/methods have they got?

If that doesn't work, the HDMI (Mypin) recorder I referenced will allow you to record the HDMI output of the camera directly onto an SD card in the correct format (1080P) which you can then move over to the BR Recorder to copy/edit/burn to BR Disk.

Be aware that the recording process will be in real time, i.e., you connect your camera HDMI to the HDMI input of the Mypin recorder, press play on the camera and record on the Mypin recorder. Depending on the size of your SD card and length of your video, you may have to repeat this several times, copying in chunks of camcorder footage across to the BR recorder's hard drive before assembling the final video.

What other Cameras do you have and what output connections/methods have they got?

Hi John7,

Thank you so much for that,

I had thought of trying the USB connection, but for one, the manual says that will work, providing the content is in AVCHD format (which my footage isn't), but more importantly ref. the trying it bit, there have been dire warnings here and there about accidental formatting of things if you do things wrong, that kind of scared me to death :p . Probably nothing whatsoever to do with this, but if your as lacking in knowledge as me, well.....

My other cameras are a Panasonic HDC-HS900 FULL HD 1920x1080p, 1080/50p with 220GB HDD and SD card slot. There is HDMI out, USB out, A/V multi out (Whatever that is).

The SD cards that I have been using in that somewhat newer cam are SD-XC. the full details on the card are Sandisc Extreme, 60Mb/s, SD XC1, 3--10, 64 GB. (just to be pedantic :laugh:)

The only other one is a 'new but old' cam that I bought brand new, just as a playing deck for a host of old 'Digital 8' tapes. It is a Sony DCR-TRV 340E Digital8 Handycam. I had to buy it because my *ick head of an x-son-in-law had broken BOTH of my High 8 cams, which were the latest thing back then :laugh:. It says on the specs of this camcorder that the format is MPEG-1, but as this is not the cam that the tapes were filmed with, that's probably irrelevant 🤣

That has S Video out, A/V out, I link (DV out), USB out. As an aside, It has the usual Mic and headphone ins, but in that same position, there is a LANC jack hole (my technical term :D). It would be wonderful if they too could be put on disc, though I don't have high hopes for that, even in SD DVD?

I still have the box, so no doubt the manual too, should you need more info on that last one.

Many thanks again,

Best regards, Dave.

Last edited:

By the way John7, that Mypin capture device records the footage onto a 'TF' card. What is that? I assume it's compatible with an SD card slot?

Cheers mate, Dave.

It’s Trans Flash card, just another name for an SD card

Oh, OK. I do believe that the whole tech world is deliberately made more complicated with multiple names for every items etc., so that only brainy tech guys like you can ever hope to understand what the heck is going on. Well, that's my excuse anyway :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

What did you make of all my info on the features of the other cams on the post before that?

I tested the USB connection as you suggested John, and discovered (with help) that I do not need to have an aerial, you can just ignore all that stuff and go ahead with what you do want to do :). I actually did record some bits onto the HDD, just by plugging that supplied USB lead into my newer Panny cam that records in AVCHD, it was perfic :clap:.

The only issues were that it didn't appear to record all of the item I chose to try it out with, at least I found that it would play back a short section of what it had just recorded beautifully....for a while, then shut off :eek:. I wondered if it recorded in chapters, or something like that?

I also discovered that if you tried to fast forward the play back, it would do it, but then shortly after you pressed the play button to go back to normal speed, it would stop and go back to the beginning!

The thing is, it was just a try out, without reading the appropriate part of the manual, so I may well find out what I was doing wrong when I do study that.

Absolutely over the moon with the progress so far, if the other ideas you are looking into for me are anything like as successful, I will be ecstatic to the point of passing out 🤣.

I have said it before, but I will say it again....you guys on this forum are the best, the very best, just great people with a wealth of knowledge. I would still be sitting staring at the box in despair without you all, and my wife would never get her beloved holiday vids on disc.

I can never thank you all enough, nor can I ever repay you, so all I can do is repeat my heart felt gratitude for the time you have spent helping me, and for doing so despite the pain and frustration of trying to help a know nothing, maddeningly wordy old fart 😪

Heartfelt thanks to you all, you really are great guys :clap:

Glad your getting somewhere,almost everything Blu-Ray recorder wise that should be apparently straightforward is usually made fiendishly difficult.If your other camcorders are all tape based and have USB and you have the cables you could try connecting to the USB on the recorder,the worst that will happen is nothing,as in it wont be recognised by the recorder.Possible it might transfer to the recorder,might not nothing ventured nothing gained.

Glad your getting somewhere,almost everything Blu-Ray recorder wise that should be apparently straightforward is usually made fiendishly difficult.If your other camcorders are all tape based and have USB and you have the cables you could try connecting to the USB on the recorder,the worst that will happen is nothing,as in it wont be recognised by the recorder.Possible it might transfer to the recorder,might not nothing ventured nothing gained.

Hi volvofan, thanks for that. I will try the USB connection on both the other cams, but because the format is incorrect, it's very unlikely to work. But, as you say, nothing ventured, nothing gained :).

However, the MYPIN capture device that John7 has suggested looks like it can change the format to one that the Panny recorder will accept (Mpeg4), so that looks like the way to go. It certainly should work for my Sony HDR-HC3, because that's close already, but the much older Sony DCR-TRV340E is possibly too old even for the Mypin device. We shall see :hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom