Panasonic Bluray Recorder

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by marc123, Mar 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. marc123

marc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all :clap:I am looking at getting a panasonic blu-ray recorder i have had a look around the internet and am still confused :confused:I would like to know what the latest flagship model is:DAt the moment I have a non 3D capable amp so I think I need a player that has 2 HDMI so I can connect one to the telly and one to the amp so I can get sound out of my blu-ray movies is this correct or have I got the wrong info ? .Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,048
    There is only one Bluray recorder on the market: The DMR-BWT720

Details here.

This is due for replacement by the DMR-BWT735 which will see deliveries starting at the end of May / Early June.
    Some pre-details of that machine can be found here.

There are also other machines that are similar but the Bluray drive is a PLAYER only ... such as the 420 here or the 520 here.

There is a sticky thread about the use and concept of the Bluray Recorder machines here.

3. marc123

marc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers for the quick reply

4. marc123

marc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi again gavtec
    At the mo I have onkyo Sr606 that doesn't play 3d will this be ok with the 720 or 735 ?

5. marc123

marc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello again can anyone advise me on the above comment please.

6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,048
    Not for 3D:

3D programmes can be played back when this unit is connected to a 3D compatible amplifier/receiver and a 3D compatible TV.

You will not be able to view 3D programmes with this connection if your amplifier/receiver is not 3D compatible.​

All other functions should be normal.

7. marc123

marc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So if I'm not bothered about watching 3d this unit would be ok for me to watch normal bluray and play true hd sound ? Also gavtec as you seem in the know can you tell me is there a panasonic that will play bluray with a harddrive 1 tb and above and also record to DVD only .

8. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,048
    Yes - such a unit will function normally in other respects - just not for 3D.

No - there are no such HD hybrids that will record to DVD only.

If you want removable disc recordability, your only choice is the 720 ... or the 735 when it is released in two or three months.

9. marc123

marc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks again do you have any idea on price for the 735 ? And will there be much difference in the machines the only difference I could see is the remote record functions.also my amp is hdmi 3 I think not hdmi 4 will this make a difference ? Sorry to sound thick but I won't to make sure I don't spend a shed load of money then need to buy a new amp.

10. marc123

marc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Should of said want .

11. marc123

marc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi again can someone answer my questions above please :lease:Also one last one about the 720 and 735 machines would it be beneficial if i connected the machine to my tv via HDMI and connect my onkyo 606 to the machine via the optical lead or coaxial lead or would it be better to use the HDMI lead straight to the amp.As you can tell i'm still a novice in this area :confused:

12. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,048
    The '735 is likely to be just under £500 in terms of the real prices when it hits the market.

Apart from the difference you mention, streaming abilities to other Viera TV's around the house and to mobile devices are its main selling point.

I believe HDMI 4 would only be required for 3D functions. Everything else should be OK.

Sound can be carried either directly via HDMI or via optical / coaxial.
    It is optional.

13. marc123

marc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So in your experience would you connect the amp via HDMI then amp to tv or would you connect the tv via HDMI the connect the amp through optical or co axial.If I did this method would the sound come out of the tv and amp at the same time ? Thanks again Gavtec for your help.

14. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,048
    It depends on whether your Amplifier is 'ARC Compatible' (Audio return channel)

If it is, you just need to connect an HDMI cable from the 720 / 735 to the TV. ( ...which will pass audio out to the amp) ( ... and assuming your amp is also connected to the TV)

When using a TV or an amplifier/receiver that does not display “ARC compatible” on the HDMI terminal, it is necessary to connect the TV and the amplifier/receiver with a digital audio cable to enjoy the TV audio on the
    amplifier/receiver.

15. marc123

marc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry gavtec I didn't mean play the tv sound out of the amp I only want to play stuff in the bluray through the amp .

16. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,048

Exactly the same applies.

When you play Bluray ... the Bluray source effectively becomes 'The TV sound'

But as said - Everything is optional. Configure it the way you want.... but only if your amp is ARC compatible - If not, you do not have options.

You have to use a separate digital connection if it is not.

17. petrev

petrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    Or - No ARC but the Amp has multiple HDMI inputs and can act as a switch then you can use the Amp to change sources.

I have some sources as audio and video HDMI to the Amp (BluRay) then use the HDMI out from the Amp to view on the TV. Others are direct HDMI to the TV and I use the Amp for Audio selection (S/PDIF into the Amp). That allows you to listen to one thing while viewing another (eg. Listen to PVR audio while checking eMail / AVF posts during adverts).

Plus have TV connected to AMP S/PDIF to get TV sound via your system when you want to. Some TVs (my Sony) output HDMI source audio via their S/PDIF out too, so you can use the TV as an HDMI audio switch (without ARC on the Amp).

Pete

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  18. marc123

marc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My amp has 4 hdmi inputs .As the bluray player has only 1 hdmi I don't want to have to have my amp on all the time to watch things so I was hoping I could connect bluray to tv via hdmi then connect the bluray to amp another way,so I have the option of watch freeview on tv without the amp ,then bluray with amp. Does this make sense.

19. petrev

petrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    Hi,

Yes, you can do that.

Connect the BluRay/PVR direct HDMI to the TV and S/PDIF from BluRay into the Amp.

Use TV sound/speakers if you don't want the Amp on, and turn Amp on if you want higher quality sound for whatever reason.

Of course you have to manually lower the TV sound when watching say BluRay or a FreeView movie with the Amp powered up.

Don't go looking for Lipsync issues unless you notice them affecting you - But - If you do notice any Audio Sync error when using the Amp S/PDIF you can use the double sound systems to check and adjust any delay that may be needed when using said S/PDIF audio.

You can use the echo when both audio systems are on to adjust the delay on the Amp and correct/remove it. The assumption is that HDMI is correct as it has auto compensation to prevent any sync errors (this isn't always perfect though !? )

Gavtech may well have more insights and tips for you as well (plus corrections if I have anything wrong :facepalm:)

Pete

20. marc123

marc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers Pete ,can you tell me what S/PDIF is as you can tell I'm very new to this.

21. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,048
    From wikipedia:

S/PDIF: Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format) is a type of digital audio interconnect cable used in consumer audio equipment to output audio over reasonably short distances.

The signal is transmitted over either a coaxial cable with RCA connectors or a fibre optic cable with TOSLINK connectors. S/PDIF interconnects components in home theatres and other digital high fidelity systems.

S/PDIF is based on the professional AES3 interconnect standard.

S/PDIF can carry two channels of PCM audio or a multi-channel compressed surround sound format such as Dolby Digital or DTS.

22. petrev

petrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    :smashin: Thanks Gavtech

As it happens - I have just bought a couple of cheap S/PDIF optical cables and am about to try them out . . .

I'll post a link if they checkout OK

EDIT:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>
    JSG Accessories 2M Toslink Spdif Digital Audio Fibre Optical Cable 2M Long

Seem just fine - 2m long, nice and flexible but cable not too slight - Good fit to the molded plugs - Free delivery Fulfilled by Amazon
    <<<<<<<<<<<<

Pete

ps. Don't bother with "Gold Plated" optical cables - As they are optical it is completely irrelevant !

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  23. marc123

marc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks everyone for letting me pick your brains .Is this connection better than scart.

24. petrev

petrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    Oh Yes

++++