Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic blues continued...

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by CamcorderNovice, Jul 13, 2002.

1. CamcorderNovice

CamcorderNovice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic NV-GSx7 - I've installed the USB port and software etc and am able to use it for transfering information stored on the card to the computer.

However how do I transfer my video footage (from the DV tape) to the computer ???

Do I need to get these DV in and out cables because I don't think they were included in the package???

Hope you can help me PLEASE!!! coz i wanna edit my video footage before transferring it to video.

*IMPORTANT*

I don't have a cd burner or anything like that so I can only transfer my footage to video tape if I wanna watch it!!

2. gmm

gmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You will need a firewire card, you can get these for around £20 for a cheap one with a basic video editing package. They will usually come with a cable.

3. Drafter

Drafter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The USB to the best of my knowlage isn't fast enough to handle Video just stills you need a firewire ieee 1394 cable and your computer needs a ieee 1394 capture card.
    Drafter

4. CamcorderNovice

CamcorderNovice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your replies. I have recently found out that to use the firewire card and software etc you need to have alot of memory in the 'C' drive as well as alot of RAM memory.

Unfortunatley I do not have alot of either of these so there is no point in me rushing out to get the firewire if I can not install it???

Does anyone know of a solution to my problem or should I just update my computer hard drive etc (and install a cd writer at the same time)???

Also I would like to mention that I have previously heard that the firewire kit costs approx £80. Why is there an amazing £60 difference between this and the price quoted previously in this thread???

Thanks for your help xx

5. gmm

gmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You pay more, you get better software. I bought my card for £20 and it came with a very basic video editing program. Although make sure you check what software is bundled with the card. Some cards can be quite expensive, yet the software is still quite basic.

6. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Something else:

If you want to transfer the results back to VHS you either have to use your camera as a DV to analogue converter or get a card which can output video. This could either be your graphics card (ATI all inWonder or similar) or a combined DV/Analogue card, E.g. Canopus or similar.