• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic Blu-Ray recorders BS780 V BS750 {Freesat Models}

emimec

Standard Member
I'm
having difficulty in seeing what is different between the Panasonic DMR-BS780EBK 250GB HDD Blu-Ray Recorder with Twin Freesat HD Tuners, and the Panasonic BS 750. I have learnt that the 750 is an older model, but thats about all. My only need is to offload some of the saved stuff on the Sky+ box hard drive, mainly kids stuff in HD, and to record from another satellite reciever that gets Russian stuff. I do not need any freeview or freesat stuff, I have Sky+. Adice most welcome, as I cant see the need to buy the 780 which is dearer.
Bob

Gavtech

Administrator
I'm
having difficulty in seeing what is different between the Panasonic DMR-BS780EBK 250GB HDD Blu-Ray Recorder with Twin Freesat HD Tuners, and the Panasonic BS 750. I have learnt that the 750 is an older model, but thats about all. My only need is to offload some of the saved stuff on the Sky+ box hard drive, mainly kids stuff in HD, and to record from another satellite reciever that gets Russian stuff. I do not need any freeview or freesat stuff, I have Sky+. Adice most welcome, as I cant see the need to buy the 780 which is dearer.
Bob

I'm wondering if you need either of these machines at all?

If you are not using any of the features that confers on them the premium prices they command.
[Albeit the 750 is being offered at way below market price to shift it to make room for the replacement model ]

The only remaining feature which may be of use is Bluray playing facilities.. and I suppose it can be argued - larger storable space if using bluray instead of DVD discs when archiving.
Otherwise without an aerial/ dish source, you can use none of the other of the HD facilities.

But if the above is enough - then the only real difference between BS750 and BS780 is the the 750 has more connectivity options and the 780 has a slightly tweaked operational interface.

For the purposes for which you require a machine, the differences are irrelevant.

TheG

Standard Member
There are no HD signal inputs on either machine.

emimec

Standard Member
Thanks for that, well spotted. Makes it pointless for my purposes then, unless I get another set of wires from the dish to the recorder and remember to record from the recorder not from Sky+. This will easily get forgotten, so no point in the purchase. How can Panasonic overlook this obvious requirement ?
Bob

Gavtech

Administrator
How can Panasonic overlook this obvious requirement ?

It is not an overlook.

HD has only been allowed to happen at all provided no recorders have HD inputs.

It is a stipulation that HD recorders can only record HD via the platform source [ Terrestrial, cable or satellite] ... and that HD cannot cross platforms.

emimec

Standard Member
Thanks. Apologies for showing my ignorance of the subject. Ok, so back to the drawing board, it will suit my purpose as long as the input is only by scart (Whoever designed scart needs shooting..bulky,cumbersom) and forget any idea of HD recording from the Sky+ box.

paddy2

Standard Member
I'm wondering if you need either of these machines at all?

If you are not using any of the features that confers on them the premium prices they command.
[Albeit the 750 is being offered at way below market price to shift it to make room for the replacement model ]

The only remaining feature which may be of use is Bluray playing facilities.. and I suppose it can be argued - larger storable space if using bluray instead of DVD discs when archiving.
Otherwise without an aerial/ dish source, you can use none of the other of the HD facilities.

But if the above is enough - then the only real difference between BS750 and BS780 is the the 750 has more connectivity options and the 780 has a slightly tweaked operational interface.

For the purposes for which you require a machine, the differences are irrelevant.

Gavtech,I was very shocked to read the connections always used on the older dvd recorders are not on the latest blue ray recorders.I found those connectors almost indispensable in the old days.Svhs in svhs out,video in, video out,audio in audio out,
all on av4.I found these most useful.Lets hope we will see them again on forthcoming models.

emimec

Standard Member
The point of it all seems to be missed.
I have Sky+, and all I want to do is offload some stuff from the sky box to to DVD. I also want to record some of the old soviet films the wife likes from her Russian satellite box. I dont care if its not in HD, the russian signal most certainly is not HD.
If I get a blu ray recorder, I automatically get a DVD recorder, and a bonus blu ray player. I dont watch enough telly to bother, its mainly kids stuff I save, and little'un has DVD's and can also get blu ray discs if we want to watch in HD, for example, she has the new Toy Story 3 on both blu ray and dvd disc.

D'@ve

The point of it all seems to be missed.
I have Sky+, and all I want to do is offload some stuff from the sky box to to DVD. I also want to record some of the old soviet films the wife likes from her Russian satellite box. I dont care if its not in HD, the russian signal most certainly is not HD.
If I get a blu ray recorder, I automatically get a DVD recorder, and a bonus blu ray player. I dont watch enough telly to bother, its mainly kids stuff I save, and little'un has DVD's and can also get blu ray discs if we want to watch in HD, for example, she has the new Toy Story 3 on both blu ray and dvd disc.
That was a factor in my decision to purchase the Panasonic FS/BD machine - otherwise, for the archival opportunities it offers. You can't burn a 5 hour Wagnerian opera onto a DVD at maximum quality, but you can fit it onto a BD with lots of room to spare. So I have the entire ring cycle (16 hours of opera) plus the associated "Making of" videos on four Blu Ray discs instead of about 20 DVD-Rs. It's great to be able to burn sets of related films onto a single disc, too (in either SD/DVD or HD).

But I do also use it to record directly any specific TV programmes I wish to keep, it's not hard to remember which recorder you need to use if an HD programme is important to you, and making the extra cable run to the existing Sky dish is a doddle. Also, when I get an HD camera/camcorder, I will use it to import and archive all that material too.

I wouldn't have paid full price though, it was worth about £400 to me and that's what I paid. :)

Last edited:

Gavtech

Administrator
Gavtech,I was very shocked to read the connections always used on the older dvd recorders are not on the latest blue ray recorders.I found those connectors almost indispensable in the old days.Svhs in svhs out,video in, video out,audio in audio out,
all on av4.I found these most useful.Lets hope we will see them again on forthcoming models.

They will not be introduced on future models.

Analogue connections such as this are being phased out.

For the moment, all Panasonic DVDR's will accept S-Video on their scart inputs and so it is still possible to connect to them using a S-video to Scart adaptor lead.

silverbull

Standard Member

Hello Sir,may I speak further with you about the Grundig 2080 machine you previously posted of?RSVP,Regards,Ray

paddy2

Standard Member
Hi Ray.I did until recently own the Grundig 2080 in excellent condition.But while having a clearout recently I binned it.It was an excellent machine in its day,and I was so sad to bin it,but you cant keep everything,or you would have no room in the house.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom