Panasonic Best DVD-R's to use

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ian C., May 5, 2005.

1. Ian C.

Ian C.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Just thought I would start this thread about media
    for Panasonic recorders.I have so far used:TDK,Memorex,
    Mitsubishi,Bulkpaq Yellow all (4x)and not noticed any trouble
    on playback.I am only using them for short term recording
    and these have all done the job nicely.However I recently
    made my first online purchase of media and liked the look of
    these New 01ne Movie Stlye 4x http://www.ukdvdr.co.uk/shop/product.php?productid=17444&cat=291&page=1
    and these have been the first ones to have a problem.They record ok but on playback they tend to freeze or break up every now and then so I will not be using these again.The suppliers though seem very good(track your order etc)so I will be ordering off them again could anyone recommend any of the other 4x dvd-r's that they stock please http://www.ukdvdr.co.uk/shop/home.php?cat=291 :thumbsup:

2. WhiteNoiseMaker

WhiteNoiseMaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I use BlankDiscShop for my disc's. I always use blank DVDs that use a Ritek dye. i've used 1000's of Ritek dvds and i've not had one fail on me yet!

3. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    i got some star media dvd-r. bulk pack of 50. used about ten and had about eight fail. :mad:

4. Ian C.

Ian C.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    These last ones have also been saying check disc,
    and a couple of times recorder as gone onto standby,
    I will probably go for Ritek next cheers for the tip.

5. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Buying discs by brand is usually going to be a lottery. Get your discs from a retailer who quotes the media code, and look up the good and bad ones here.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    But be aware of the millions of cheap discs that use one of these codes to improve their compatibility with other burners - it doesn't make them top media and frequently indicated the complete opposite.

Stick to buying discs from disc producers such as Verbatim, TDK, Maxell and you know you are getting a reasonable product. Ultimately you are significantly safer archiving to two or more discs of different makes than looking for the 'perfect disc' - there is no such thing!

7. JML

JML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No manufacturer produces disks perfectly 100% and faults may appear in a particular batch. If you want to archive, do as Rasczak suggest however use disks from two different manufacturers this will significantly reduce the risks.

8. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If this is another way of saying they're fakes, then yes. In my experience, the retailers who do quote the dye identification as lead-in or media code take care to get their stock from genuine sources. As highlighted above, SVP are a first-class example.
    I would have thought this is mainly because they invariably use a reliable dye.

9. Struan

Struan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When I had the E95, I used circa 80 No. Taiyo Yuden 8x from SVP, with a 100% burn record. (I didn't know until after I got the discs that the E95 only has a 4x drive!)

10. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just discovered how to read the media ID off a disk, with Nero. Just run Nero ->T oolkit -> Nero CD Speed, and click on Extra -> Disk Info.

I've got a bunch of disks, some of which have visible dye defects, and some of which have become unreadable a couple of months after being burnt. The disks carry no brand name, but the media ID reads as "Maxell MXL RG01". In the guide at http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm, this ID is listed as "1st class media", but I suspect it's really in the "unbranded fakes" category, also mentioned in that guide.

I've learnt a lesson. I thought I would share it.

11. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    They could be fake, but also genuine Maxells that were factory rejects and found their way onto the market. With visible evidence like that, you certainly have grounds for a refund from the retailer.

It happens to us all, even with the best buying strategy. I found several genuine Ritek G04s in a spindle which had the same visible streaking and found out too late that they were unreadable right from the off. Nevertheless SVP replaced the whole spindle without question - the other 3 that I bought were fine.