Panasonic BD60/BD80 Blu-ray Multiregion Modification - Part One

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ekko Star, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +486
    Check out our review of this fantastic feature filled Blu-ray player - AVForums BD60 Review

Before I start I would like to say a big thank you to AVForum member cynix for supplying me the mod chip to be able to do this. Many of you may only know of Bluraymods as the providers of the ICOS logic board, but cynix has developed this far simpler chip and has kindly allowed me to review it here.

AVForums has no commercial affiliation with this in any other way so please do not litter this thread or the pm system with 'where to buy?' requests.

If anybody is wishing to buy this mod the internet search engines are your friends. The arrangement is between yourself and the seller and everything involved with this modification is completely at your own risk and not endorsed by AVForums otherwise.

AVForums will therefore not entertain responsibility for any arrangement outside of this forum and nor would we suggest you do so by pm here.

The purpose of this thread is solely to enlighten those interested in what is involved in modifying the Panasonic players with the cynix mod chip.

The mod chip will enable Blu-ray Region A,B,C (manually selected by remote) and DVD Region 1-6 RCE (automatically) on the Panasonic DMP-BD30/50/35/55/60/80.

This tutorial is for the BD60/80 players which both internally involve the same procedure.

You'll need to be competent at soldering with a fine tip soldering iron to be able do this. Unplug your player before attempting it and use your common sense. You will also need a steady hand and some patience.

This is a difficult mod to do. Please review the process thoroughly before contemplating attempting it. Do not try this if you do not feel confident or have not done anything like this before. There are four very intricate points to solder to that can go wrong incredibly easily which in turn will ruin your player. Professionals charge a significant amount of money to do this mod for good reason.

You will naturally invalidate your warranty if you attempt this mod. AVForums does not encourage you to do this and you do so completely at your own risk.

Panasonic DMP-BD60

[​IMG]

You'll need a low wattage soldering iron (10-15W) with a fine tip and some decent quality solder flux.

There are six wires to solder from the chip to the mainboard. I always use ribbon cable for these purposes as it is colour coded and the right thickness to do the job.

The mod chip itself will come with some wire but as I say above I prefer ribbon cable.

[​IMG]

You'll need to get the lid off the player. It is held on by seven screws. Three along the back of the player and two on each of the side panels. I have laid these out as you would find them on the player.

[​IMG]

You'll now need to get the front panel off the player. It is held in place with 7 plastic clips. You can ease these up with your fingers nails and slide the panel forward and away. You may need to synchronise the movement with all seven clips.

First one is on the right and a similar one is also on the left

[​IMG]

Clips either side of the drive

[​IMG]

There are three clips along the bottom front edge

[​IMG]

Ok, now you can ease the front panel off and put it somewhere safe to one side for the time being

[​IMG]

This is the chip and I have numbered the pins from 1-8. Pin 1 is marked by a small indented dot on the chip itself and the numbering of the pins always works anti-clockwise. For this mod you will only be using 6 pins. These are Pins 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 8.

[​IMG]

In my pics, the schematic is as follows

Pin 1 = Green
    Pin 2 = Orange
    Pin 3 = Yellow
    Pin 4 = Purple
    Pin 5 = Blue
    Pin 8 = Grey

[​IMG]

Ok this is the overview of the board so that you can see the area you need to concentrate on where each of the points the wires attach to.

[​IMG]

Solder to this point Pin 1 = Green. This is infact the 3v

[​IMG]

The next area is by far the most difficult area to solder to. Please take a look at the size of this surface mounted chip before you start to do anything else.

[​IMG]

It is extremely intricate to solder the next four wires and the points are tiny legs on the surface mounted chip. Only attempt this mod if you are capable of doing this. I can assure you that you will damage your machine if you get this bit wrong, so take stock and be wary if you are not at all confident. Please take careful note of which legs you are soldering to as below

I must also remind you that heat is generally any electrical components biggest enemy. The chip you are soldering to is small and you must solder at first or second attempt. If you are struggling to do it DO NOT continuously keep trying as the latent heat from every unsuccessful attempt may likely fry the surface mounted chip, damage/lift the tracks or adversely affect the nearby components.

Pin 2 = Orange and this goes to the 5th leg of the surface mount
    Pin 3 = Yellow and this goes to the 6th leg of the surface mount
    Pin 4 = Purple and this goes to the 8th leg of the surface mount
    Pin 8 = Grey and this goes to the 4th leg of the surface mount

[​IMG]

Once those 5 wires are done, the area should now look something like this.

[​IMG]

Ok, so now you've got the Pin 5 = Blue wire to connect. This is for the IR sensor. Thread the blue wire through and under the front panel chassis of the player

[​IMG]

Solder Pin 5 to this point situated on the front panel. Once this is done then ease the front panel back onto the front chassis of the player. Do this gently ensuring that all the clips click into place and the connectors are properly seated

[​IMG]

Once done you'll need to situate the chip in a safe and suitable place. I chose this one and used strong double sided sticky tape to attach it to the board. There are alternative glues you can use to secure if you so wish and I would recommend silicone sealant adhesive

[​IMG]

It should now all look all nice and tidy like this

[​IMG]

Once you are happy with your work, re-align the lid and screw the seven screws back into their appropriate places.

[​IMG]

You now have a fully Multi-Region Blu-ray Panasonic BD60/80 !!!

When you plug the machine in, it may go through an intitialisation process and then shut down as per normal or just go into standby.

As this is a hardware mod you have to switch the Blu-ray Region states of the player using the remote whilst it is in standby mode.

Press 1 on the remote for Region A
    Press 2 on the remote for Region B
    Press 3 on the remote for Region C

For DVD the player will play Region 1-6 automatically (no need to switch using the remote) and RCE capable.

The player will remain in whatever Region you have set it, even when it is in standby. If you unplug at the mains and power up the default state will initially always be the original Region of the machine, which in this case was Region B.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this tutorial and I will soon post on how to do the Panasonic BD35/55.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. cynix

cynix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Available on ebay ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.