Panasonic BD55 Optical Output Problem

Stepney

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've a problem with a Panasonic BD55 which I've tried to install over the weekend. I can't get any sound from the fibre optical output connection which I've linked to a Yamaha YSP1000 sound projector. Video output is via HDMI to my television with the sound via HDMI option turned off. I realise the YSP1000 doesn't support all the BD55 output formats.

The BD55 was bought to replace a Panasonic DVD/VHS Combo which worked with HDMI for video and via direct fibre optic connection with no problem. The optical output was linked to the YSP1000 via a Y connector so it could share the input with a SKY HD box. Neither the combo or the Sky box were on at the same time and I thought I could try the same for the BD55.

I've tried all sorts of settings going from Bitstream to PCM, etc and everything else suggested in the manual. I've tried using different cables but know the one already in use is fine.

I've managed to get sound via another route if I re-enable sound via HDMI, I can use HDMI from the BD55 to the TV then get sound using the basic 2 channel phono connections from the TV to the YSP1000 but obviously this is basic sound. I've also tried connecting a fibre optic cable from the back of my Pioneer plasma to the YSP1000 but just get intermittant broken sound with the PCM indicator flashing on the YSP1000. The red laser glow from the back of the BD55 is visible. I've tried blu ray, DVD and CD with the same result.

Any ideas please? Duff unit, duff user or time to upgrade amp?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The BD55 was bought to replace a Panasonic DVD/VHS Combo which worked with HDMI for video and via direct fibre optic connection with no problem. The optical output was linked to the YSP1000 via a Y connector so it could share the input with a SKY HD box. Neither the combo or the Sky box were on at the same time and I thought I could try the same for the BD55.

Welcome to the forum. :smashin:
Have you tried missing out the connector and going in optical direct just to make sure everything is working ok?
All the best.

Thanks for the welcome.

Tried your suggestion already but same result.

Cheers

Thanks for the welcome.

Tried your suggestion already but same result.

Cheers

:(
You definitely know the optical Input is fine on the amp? with HDMI audio to OFF then sound should be passing over the optical :confused: i presume there's no coaxial Input on the amp.

There is a coax connector on the amp.

Dumb question time: Do I use a normal coax connector as for a tv aerial socket flylead? It's just I tried a rough test yesterday with one but noticed the connection of the plug into the connector was too loose.

Irrespective of that, fibre optical doesn't seem to be working as it should so will probably send unit back as faulty.

Thanks again.

There is a coax connector on the amp.

Dumb question time: Do I use a normal coax connector as for a tv aerial socket flylead? It's just I tried a rough test yesterday with one but noticed the connection of the plug into the connector was too loose.

Irrespective of that, fibre optical doesn't seem to be working as it should so will probably send unit back as faulty.

Thanks again.

This connection. :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Splendid. Thanks for that. Just arranging collection of the player now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom