Panasonic BD35 - Video playback from SD card

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GrooveyTunez, Feb 5, 2009.

1. GrooveyTunez

GrooveyTunez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

As a big movie lover and dvd rental member I have been trying to decide for a while whether to invest in blu-ray. I know alot of people say blu-ray is not worth it on a 32inch screen, but when I saw High-definition playing on the same TV as mine ( Sony 32V4000) on display in a shop window I was very impressed with the quality. At home I will be viewing the TV from approximately 7 feet away, I also have very good vision, infact when I had my eyes tested last year the optician said I had BETTER than 20:20 vision :eek:
    Since then I have been trying to bag the best bargain player I could find.
    With the added funds from my recent birthday I am now in the position to bite the bullet and make my purchase...........

I have had my eye on the Sony BDP-S350 and Panasonic BD35 for a while now, and have recently noticed an interesting feature on the panasonic.
    It has the ability to play AVCD video files from an SD card, can anyone confirm this in practice and can it play any other types of video files from the card like mkv or xvid/divx files?
    I was leaning towards the panny anyway just simply because it is much slimmer than the Sony and this feature might help make the decision for me.

I await your comments of infinite wisdom :D

2. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
  3. xit2050

xit2050

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    No, it can't.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    the latest firmware has done something in this area, worth checking that out to find out what.

5. xit2050

xit2050

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    It thought it just addressed disc compatibility?
    Have any more info?

6. m99

m99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is there anyone who has managed to convert 720p MKV-files to AVCHD with tsMuxeR (v. 1.8.8b) and play them from a SD-card (or DVD±R) ?

7. ian_m42

ian_m42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes no problem. I use tsMuxer to BD data structure, just remember to change level to 4.1. Also write to DVD as UDF2.5. I first test the files on a +RW before saving to +R. I have not tried and SD card, but apparently from what I have read it should work as well.

Only issue appears to be (on my DB50 anyway) that rewind and jump back is a bit intermittant, sometimes jumping to start of programme.

8. GrooveyTunez

GrooveyTunez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the feedback guys, just thought I' d let you know I just ordered mine brand new off ebay, had a 10% discount voucher so got it for £162 :thumbsup:

Can't wait !!!!!!:clap:

9. m99

m99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    BD data structure on DVD is OK, but not on SD card. I think it must be AVCHD on SD card, but no matter what I have tried it's nothing there.

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    was told a week or so ago it had done something with SD cards as well. No idea what. I no longer have a 35 / 55 here.

11. dec-pvr

dec-pvr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    m99 take a look here:

multiAVCHD - author AVCHD with CUSTOM MENU using TS/MKV/MPEG files/AVCHD folders - Doom9's Forum

A very good prog for making compliant (1280x720, 1920x1080) mkv's etc into a AVCHD DVD+/-R/RW disc that plays on my BD35.

It can even make custom menus (haven't got that working with mine yet, but it's early days).

The author is also working on getting it to work with SD cards.

Please read the first page and guide before you ask any questions though, as it should explain what/how to do and any problems.

Hope you find that useful.

Btw is v1.2 still that latest firmware for the BD35? Nic, can you elaborate on any changes that the firmware made to SD card playback?

12. GrooveyTunez

GrooveyTunez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Just thought I' d give you some feedback now i've received the unit. I am very pleased with the player, standard DVDs look crisp and colours are excellent, watched my first ever blu-ray movie lastnight (swordfish), was very pleased with the picture quality, pin-sharp and colours even more impressive than SD DVD!! :smashin:.
    Can't wait to watch discs like The Fall which apparently really show-off blu-ray to its full potential!.:clap:
    I have also managed to successfully play mkv files converted to blu-ray structure and burnt to DVD using multiavchd (strangely tsmuxer alone didnt work).
    I only have one minor issue, in set-up there is an otpion to enable 24p output on capable TVs, I am 100% sure my Sony 32V4000 is 24p compatible but the player will not let me turn this feature on (even when a blu-ray disc is present in the player), so would appreciate some feedback on this.

cheers

13. dec-pvr

dec-pvr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    It may sound patronising but you do have the player connected to your TV via HDMI? Have to ask!

If you do, then which HDMI input is it connected to? It could be possible that your TV only accepts 24p via HDMI-1.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with your TV so can't offer much more advice than that!

Maybe have a look at your TV manual, does it offer any information on 24p?

Finally I think you have to have the BD35 stopped to allow 24p setting to be enabled. By that I mean if you have a disc in the player, then make sure it is stopped. Ideally try with no disc at all.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

14. m99

m99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As the title of this topic indicate, one of the problems of this player is the very poor support for different files on SD Cards.

15. GrooveyTunez

GrooveyTunez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Had to laugh at the first question....yes indeed it is connected by HDMI to input HDMI-1. I had already tried enabling 24p without a disc in, then tried again yesterday with the blu-ray disc in, and it automatically stops the disc when you enter setup anyway.
    I will have to have another look at both TV and player manuals incase i missed something.....but any further advice is most welcome :thumbsup: