Panasonic BD35 bluray will not play via HDMI?

ochiba

Standard Member
Reaction score
Gents,

just bought a Panasonic DMP-BD35 and after connecting it to my Panasonic plasma(PY700) via a HDMI cabel it will not show the movie. I went back to the store, changed the player and after I came home again the same problem.

I tried different HDMI cabels and if I use the Yello/red/white tulip cabel it plays but only 480P on AV4

I can not come in to the menu with the HDMI cabel.
I do have sound via the optical connection.

Who can help me because I could not believe that I have 2 times a bluray player with a not working HDMI connection.

Greetinx Ochi

Gents,

just bought a Panasonic DMP-BD35 and after connecting it to my Panasonic plasma(PY700) via a HDMI cabel it will not show the movie. I went back to the store, changed the player and after I came home again the same problem.

I tried different HDMI cabels and if I use the Yello/red/white tulip cabel it plays but only 480P on AV4

I can not come in to the menu with the HDMI cabel.
I do have sound via the optical connection.

Who can help me because I could not believe that I have 2 times a bluray player with a not working HDMI connection.

Greetinx Ochi

Welcome to the forum ochiba. :smashin:
Can you get into the menu using the video connection and then your check your settings?
Also,try turning the player on before the TV....could be a handshake issue. (there's a few tips on p.30/31 manual)
All the best.

Last edited:
Kingfats,

tried to put the Blyray on first. No result.
Already tried to do al the things that are in the manual.
No results.
After I turn the player on it says, hello, few seconds later setup but not on my screen via HDMI. A few seconds later it's giving a code U73 on the player. Dont know what that means?

Greetingx Ochi

Kingfats,

tried to put the Blyray on first. No result.
Already tried to do al the things that are in the manual.
No results.
After I turn the player on it says, hello, few seconds later setup but not on my screen via HDMI. A few seconds later it's giving a code U73 on the player. Dont know what that means?

Greetingx Ochi

I think it's a HDMI handshake problem :( some info here.
Keeping trying with changing Inputs,or powerdonw retry.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I have had the same problem with U73, I had the player on HDMI2, when I changed it to HDMI3 the problem was resolved. I spoke with the installer and told them of my concerns. In the end they changed the Panasonic Plasma and now all is well on all 4 HDMI cables.
Hope this helps.
Paul

OK,

action today was to go with the BD35 to the store again.
Asked them to show me a working model on a Panasonic plasma. Did that with a new HDMI cabel and a new BD35 and it worked.
Went home and guess what?
It is stil not working.:thumbsdow
I,m getting crazy about it and so it must be something with my Plasma PY700. My satelite and DVD works fine with HDMI and the plasma. So I only got 1 option and that is try to get in contact with Panasonic i think.

I see some firmware upgrades for the America region for the BD35 but I don't think thats good for me here in the Netherlands.
Also cannot find a proper email adress from Panasonic so i think I have to call them.

Ochi

If you are getting code U73 then the HDCP handshake has not worked, most likely to be a problem with your TV I'm afraid.

I have my BD35 connected to an Onkyo 905 AV receiver and then onto my Samsung plasma. If I power up the BD35 and 905 but have my screen off then I also get the U73 error code on the BD35. However as soon as I switch on my screen it clears the code and the BD35 starts working normally without any issues. My Sky HD box does something similar if the 905 is on and the screen is off - it displays an error saying "this display does not support HDCP".

HTH

OK,

I'm in contact with Panasonic now.
The first reply was get your Bluray player to us.
I've told them the bluray works fine but ther is an handshake problem with my Plasma.
I wait and keep you al informed.

Ochi

Gents,

a update.
Panasonic in the Netherlands says they never heard about this. Strange because the U73 is also named in the manual.
I've asked them to give me a quick solution otherwise I will buy a Sony. I still have 5 days to return the player to my dealer.
My last change was a very expensive cabel and I just bought a Oehlbach HDMI that cost me 125 euro.
Same problem U73.
After 3 cabels and 3 BD35 my conclusion is that it must be my Pana 50Py700. what I still cannot understand is why my Satelite and PC are working fine with this TV over HDMI.

Hope to heave some last suggestions from you all but I'm getting out of solutions and also getting crazy.

Greetz Ochi

Ochi,

thanks for your posts on this issue!

Just had the same problem as you do while hooking up my parents LG 42PT85 plasma with the BD35 via HDMI using an HDMI 1.3 approved 1,5m Jenving Supra cable. The U73 error code kept showing every time the TV was powered up no matter which was powered up first or how long the equipment was left to warm up before connection.

Swedish Panasonic support just instructed me to change the faulty TV and/or HDMI cable which sounded troublesome and a bit far fetched after reading your posts and some regarding U73 problems with the BD30.

Then, with disconnected HDMI and connected with composite video to the TV, I tried disabling HDMI in the BD35 and changed some settings (enhanced color etc.) back and forth and eventually enabled the HDMI again after reconnecting HDMI. Now everything is working fine which is ... strange. Maybe disabling/enabling the HDMI forced the HDMI controller to reboot in a really good way? :thumbsup:

Anyway I powered down both plasma and BD35 a couple of times and also pulled the AC for a while a few times. The U73 problem did not come back!

Now I have instructed my parents to exercise the BD35 everyday and I keep some fingers crossed it won't reappear. Wouldn't bet my last krona on it though...

Will try to remember to post here if the problem reappears!

BR
/Carl

hi this is not the frist time i have heard,of this problem,it happen a while back,with panasonic blu ray player,and samsung TV,sorry forget how it was solved,maybe if you look back in forums,it may have some anwser,:smashin:

Gents,

I'm talking with the second line of Panasonic in the Netherlands now.
The needed my serial number of the plasma TV and are working on this case. I realy believe its in my 1 1/2 year old plasma and not in the bluray. I saw this one working at the dealer when I got my 3th one.
I think they are thinking about firmware for my plasma but I'm not sure.

Carl, your solution looks a bit like hard work but I can try this. I can understand that this wil work but I think there must be a more acceptable solution for this matter.

Simonblue, I searched this forum and googled the things like u73 and panasonic. Al the things I've read and tried did not help.

Even starting with viera link works via the HDMI but the U73 stays. This was an idea given by a person on a Dutch AV forum.

Greetz Ochi

Last edited:
I've come in a bit late on this, but a quick suggetsion is to take out all HDMI leads to the TV, power up the TV with none plugged in, power TV down again, plug BD35 into an HDMI socket on the TV that worked with something else, switch on the TV first, then the BD35. (Leave a couple of minutes between powering down and up again).

Gents,

Panasonic has looked to my system today and now it works :clap:
I was not at home but my girlfriend told me they have replaced the HDMI printcard in my Plasma TV.
Now it works fine.
Just tested a BD-RE and that also works fine.
Upscaling a dvd looks great and I only have to try the AVCHD, Dvix an MP3 but they will work fine also I think.

Ther service of Panasonic was great!
After I told them I only had time to return the player till saturday they came today.

Finaly happy with the superb quality

greetinx Ochi

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom