Panasonic Bd10a + Denon Avcs1r Settings

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Sicoe, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Sicoe

Sicoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi All

ive just purchased a blu ray player and want to get 5.1 pcm sound out of the denon amp

i have hooked 3 sets of audio cables to ext1 on the denon and then to the player

does anyone know if there is any settings i have to change as there is an option for speaker set up on the blu ray player but have done this on the amp so didnt think i would need to

i know when selecting a movie i have to choose the pcm 5.1 track but is there any other settings i need to do on the blu ray player

also can anyone help with the settings, i have a sagem dlp which is 720p/1080i should i set the player to 1080i and also notice there are other picture settings and was wondering if anyone else has these settings

any help would be appriciated

cheers simon

2. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    In the first instance I would recommend that you set the player to output a full range signal (i.e. speakers set to large), subwoofer "on", and speaker levels set flat (to zero). Then allow the amp to do the bass management stuff, including speaker size, level adjustments etc. You may need to play around with the sub level.

3. Sicoe

Sicoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi All

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get dts hd and dolby true hd sound using my panny bd10a via my analogue inputs to my denon avcs1r at all

if possible id love to take advantage, do i need to get an update for my panny player and if so then on the amp do i just select ext1 in for the analogue inputs to listen and set the sound on the film to what i want

any advise would be great

cheers simon

4. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    The BD10A should already decode TrueHD for you and send it via analogue. It will also do DTS-HD High Resolution (found on a few discs) but NOT DTS-HD Master Audio as found on most discs from Fox. There is unfortunately no way to make the BD10A decode or even pass on as bitstream DTS-HD MA. That will require a new player.

It's always a good idea to make sure you have the latest firmware installed, although I don't think there have been any very recent updates for your model.

EDIT: The BD10A will use the normal DTS core (which at 1.5mbps can sound very good) to decode audio if you select a DTS-HD MA track on the disc. You may find that via say coax connected to your Denon, that the amp will do a better job of core DTS decoding than the player, so when listening to a DTS-HD MA track, select a different input on your amp and let it do all the work instead. As ever try both ways and see which you prefer. Your ears will probably be right.

5. Sicoe

Sicoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi Ians

Many thanks for all your help im most greatful

just a quick one, in the set up menu for dolby digital plus/dolby true hd and dts hd etc, do i need to have them settings set to bitstream or pcm if running through analogue cables

Regards Simon

6. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,045
    Hi Sicoe. :)
    PCM. :smashin:
    All the best.

7. Sicoe

Sicoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi KingFats

Thanks for the info, for listening to lpcm 5.1 is there a setting for this in the panny bd10a menu or do i just do what i do normal and put my amp to ext in multi channel in and set the disc to lpcm5.1 soundtrack

hope that makes sense

Thanks Simon

8. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,045
    For HD audio over the analogues,you'll want the player on PCM and just select the track of the disc :cool: your amp setting sounds right to me. :)
    Cheers.

9. Sicoe

Sicoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    hi mate

thanks for that, have just had saw 3 on dts hd audio and sounds great, have set dts hd to pcm in the panny player

1 more question if thats ok, i am using 3 different pairs of analogue cables for the 5.1

1 x van del hul the well - to the left and right speakers

1 x cambridge audio - to the centre and sub

1 x qed quinex - to the rearsle

is it worth investing in another set of van den hull cables for the centre, sub and rears or just for the centre and sub as they give more detail than the rears.

im asking your advise as the van den hul arent exactly cheap cables to buy and didnt want to shell out if i didnt think i was going to hear any difference

this might be difficult for you to answer but your advise will be most appriciated

regards simon

10. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,045
    I'm always saying a HDMI cable = a HDMI cable :) but analogue of course is a different matter,and quality counts.
    But i'm afraid mate i'm going to have to leave your question to the experts :D because i'm not sure if your going to get any benefit from changing or not..............sorry mate.
    You could ask here as well?
    Cheers.

11. charliecossie

charliecossie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    This menu is actually named "Digital Audio Output" which should give you a clue about it's actual purpose. It has no effect on the analogue output. The analogue output from the player depends solely on the soundtrack chosen on the disk.
    As far as cables go, any decent hi-fi shop will let you try various cables, at home, on payment of a deposit.