Panasonic aspect ration format help

pwood

My FX33 has 4:3 3:8 (which is apparently the same as 35mm film) and 16:9.
So far I have used 4:3 for the most part however 16:9 does fit my plasma better. can anyone confirm the pros and cons of the 4:3 and 3:8 ratios and what is the normal one used for digital photography.

Basically I dont want to go on holiday next week and take 100's of pictures in the wrong format. I think 4:3 contains the most information but not 100% sure.

jomike

My FX33 has 4:3 3:8 (which is apparently the same as 35mm film) and 16:9.
So far I have used 4:3 for the most part however 16:9 does fit my plasma better. can anyone confirm the pros and cons of the 4:3 and 3:8 ratios and what is the normal one used for digital photography.

Basically I dont want to go on holiday next week and take 100's of pictures in the wrong format. I think 4:3 contains the most information but not 100% sure.

All fixed lens point and shoots like your Panny, and DSLRs using the four thirds system, have sensors that have a 4:3 ratio, the same ratio as standard computer screens. Any other ratio is achieved by cropping the image top and bottom in camera, effectively discarding information.
All other DSLRs have sensors that have a 3:2 ratio because that was the same as 35mm film (not 3:8)

So in your case you will retain the most information by shooting 4:3. You can always crop the images later on the computer with more control over what gets cropped.

HTH

Mike

ryart

The aspect ratio of 35mm film (full frame) is 3:2. As to which is the best to use depends on how you normally view you pictures. With most projectors and TVs being 16:9 this is what I use on my Panasonic LX2. If using an SLR I try to remember to leave a bit at the top and bottom of the frame for later cropping down to 16:9.
Had a quick look at the specs of your camera on DP Review and it seems that the native resolution of the sensor is 4:3, so using 4:3 would make fullest use of the sensor, but if you later have to crop to fit your plasma you might as well shoot at 16:9 in the first place and then your pictures should be better composed for that format.

ryart

While I was writing that jomike has replied - must be a quicker typist. Just as a point of interest not all compacts are 4:3 native resolution, the Panasonic LX2 is 16:9. What he says about cropping is quite right but I feel that it is better to compose the picture for the format you want to end up with. Try cropping your 4:3 to 16:9 later and there never seems to be enough waste at top and/or bottom to crop. Oh and don't forget (assuming you have an option) it is better to shoot horizontal pics to fill the plasma.

jomike

Thanks for pointing out that the Panny LX2 has a native 16:9 sensor, I didn't know that. Take your point about composing for 16:9 if you do intend viewing in that ratio anyway, just seems like a waste.

Mike

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom